From Khon Kaen To Koh Chang

erikr_

ok the easy way would be fly to bangkok and then to Trat and then to Koh Chang, but seems a bit of a fly around with lot of time lost by checkins etc

is there another option in a more direct line? Am in KK in march and would like to go to Koh Chang for a few days

...would like to go to Koh Chang for a few days.

A few days is about right, three might be optimum. We stayed longer but took the DVD player with us.

About this time last year we did this trip one Sunday, left KK at about 8am and drove onto the ferry at Laem Ngop at about 15.30 that afternoon. A steady drive no rushing and a few stops, there's a market near Sa Kaeo (I think) and a late lunch in Trat.

The ferry's are fun, nice rest after a long day, cheap. I'm glad I have a 4x4 for the steep hills and hairpins on the island, although normal cars will cope. Locals thrash regular cars.

If you are looking for info on the island try Ian's web site, link below. Nice chap for a chat or canoe, a little difficult to find as the locals enroute to his hide out seem to be totally unaware of it. Nice shower.

Ian's Koh Chang website.

Want more info?

Where are you staying?

...would like to go to Koh Chang for a few days.

A few days is about right, three might be optimum. We stayed longer but took the DVD player with us.

About this time last year we did this trip one Sunday, left KK at about 8am and drove onto the ferry at Laem Ngop at about 15.30 that afternoon. A steady drive no rushing and a few stops, there's a market near Sa Kaeo (I think) and a late lunch in Trat.

The ferry's are fun, nice rest after a long day, cheap. I'm glad I have a 4x4 for the steep hills and hairpins on the island, although normal cars will cope. Locals thrash regular cars.

If you are looking for info on the island try Ian's web site, link below. Nice chap for a chat or canoe, a little difficult to find as the locals enroute to his hide out seem to be totally unaware of it. Nice shower.

Ian's Koh Chang website.

Want more info?

Where are you staying?

Not sure yet, staying in Khon Kaen (you now how it goes with the mrs and the family) but want to take a few days away to koh chang maybe. But being lazy not want to fly from KK-Bkk-Trat

will have a look at the link

Take the night train to Bangkok and sleep laying down and relax, No crazy bus driver. Then in the morning on arrival either spend the night in Bangkok or take the BTS underground and transfer to the skytrain to Ekkamai bus station then 6 hours to Trat direct on a good road with few accidents compared to others around Thailand. From Trat you will have to ride in the back of a truck to the ferrie and there transfer again to another truck to go over the mountain.

The easiest is to have a reservation at a 2000 baht a night room that will pick you up at the airport as to avoid long journies around the mountains and in general the drama of it all. A seperate option is to hire a driver and van in Khon Kaen for 1500 baht a day, just rent it for a week and bring a couple friends along. No matter what anyone says about the roads its better to drive all the way to Bangkok and then take the bypass to Chonburi then take the highway to Trat. Trying to cut through the mountains on that crappy road full of crazy truck drivers sucks and youll waste more time and get more stress than just taking it easy on the realtively flat and wide one direction highway.

If youve never been there before Its easier to stay around White Sands Beach as there are more restraunts there and its a little easier to walk around. Avoid motorcycles unless you are a very experianced driver in Thailand, Its very tricky there. The best food I ever ate on the island was at the italian restraunt "Invito", The seafood pasta dishes are great along with everthing else I ever ate there and main courses were around 200 baht for what Ive paid 30 dollars for in the United States. If you need more details just ask or PM.

Good Luck on your trip, the first time I went there I stayed 2 years!

Mr. Mai Krap has it right -- Hire a van with a driver and take a bunch of family and friends. Don't take the back roads from Khorat to Trat as MK says. The driver can either stay on the mainland or take the ferry (with the van) across to Koh C with you.

Either way, once you arrive at your destination, the drivers always have friends, family, some are ex-police or ex-military with friends everywhere, and they very discreetly stay out of the way unless you call for them.

Also, as I have mentioned elsewhere , there is much less -- if not zero -- liability if you are not the driver of a rented vehicle. Of course if you are like many who see themselves as the second coming of Sterling Moss or Emo Fittipaldi...

Mr. Mai Krap has it right -- Hire a van with a driver and take a bunch of family and friends. Don't take the back roads from Khorat to Trat as MK says. The driver can either stay on the mainland or take the ferry (with the van) across to Koh C with you.

Either way, once you arrive at your destination, the drivers always have friends, family, some are ex-police or ex-military with friends everywhere, and they very discreetly stay out of the way unless you call for them.

Also, as I have mentioned elsewhere , there is much less -- if not zero -- liability if you are not the driver of a rented vehicle. Of course if you are like many who see themselves as the second coming of Sterling Moss or Emo Fittipaldi...

Like the idea of the van with driver and load half the family in, but then I still do not get away from them hahahaha

anyone know a reliable source for good van with driver in KK?

will do some research for good location for half the family haha