Morality Promotion Act To Be Promulgated Across Nation

Jai Dee

When the topic is gore and nudity on frontpages of Thai newspapers, TV members want the government to get rid of it. When the government tries to do something, it's being ridiculed.

Their methods might be laughable but their goals aren't.

Telling teenagers that their sex lives should not be restricted is also education in morality, it's just an opposite lesson.

You can't leave people to themselves either, human nature is degrading without uplifting social pressure.

We need more "don't drink and drive" campaigns and more anti gambling campaigns. Those are not personal problems, and neither is teenage sex, unwanted pregnancies and abortions. No man is an island and society has a right to protect its members from vice.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the topic is gore and nudity on frontpages of Thai newspapers, TV members want the government to get rid of it. When the government tries to do something, it's being ridiculed.

Telling teenagers that their sex lives should not be restricted is also education in morality, it's just an opposite lesson.

You can't leave people to themselves either, human nature is degrading without uplifting social pressure.

We need more "don't drink and drive" campaigns and more anti gambling campaigns. Those are not personal problems, and neither is teenage sex, unwanted pregnancies and abortions. No man is an island and society has a right to protect its members from vice.

Morality comes from education, and the example of a fair, just, and democratic system of leadership and true justice under a set of strong laws. Until those are inplace first, morality is just a word.

I agree that the goals of teaching morality are laudable, but these decrees always come from the same self-serving lying hypocrites that perpetuate the corrupt cycle of immorality and base greed on an increasingly cynical population. I'm not just talking about LOS here....

I remember when some gobshite Tory MP in the UK espoused a return to morality and "Family Values" and then it was discovered he had more than one family.... :o

My only concern is when gov'ts try to determine morality. It seems to me that there are a lot of things which need to be done--things that gov'ts can do and should do--things that are measurable. Morality is one of those airy-fairy things that nobody can do much about and it's an unnecessary, unwarranted and unwanted intrusion into people's private lives.

Morality Promotion Act to be promulgated across nation

According to Mr Piboon, the government will lay policy in line with the act and set up a national morality committee. One of the committee’s tasks is to make annual reports on the status of Thai people’s morality. The act’s draft is expected to submit to a Cabinet meeting within the next two months.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 January 2007

Maybe it's the cynic in me but I wonder if this has less to do with "morality"

and more to do with what the English call a quango , the Americans a

boondoggle and the rest of us just "jobs for the boys".

:o

I didn't know that we had voted on this issue or that so many ten-thousends of users had one joint opinion on this matter.

I for one don't want to see the frontpages go - reality isn't pretty and it shouldn't be displayed as such. And I for one don't want the government (of any country) to decide what kind of moral I should or shouldn't have.

:o I totally agree with you.

All of which is correct.It just comes better from a source which is itself not mired in immorality,whether a corrupt populist or an illegal junta.

I didn't know that we had voted on this issue or that so many ten-thousends of users had one joint opinion on this matter.

I for one don't want to see the frontpages go - reality isn't pretty and it shouldn't be displayed as such. And I for one don't want the government (of any country) to decide what kind of moral I should or shouldn't have.

Hmm I'm Thai and I'm very happy with the commitment shown by this government in transparency and their emphasis in morality. If you, a visitor, are not, I guess you can always go back to wherever you are from. I'm sure there are plenty other places in the world where morality in their societies is not a priority. They should suit you fine.

I agree with the posters who emphasize education and social stability as being the prerequisites for any "improvement" in morality. I also doubt that the past was significantly more "moral" than the present; this is an illusion deriving primarily from the Victorian era (much like the one in which Thailand now exists) in which people simply stopped talking or writing about social problems and so pretended they didn't exist. To my thinking, morality is a state of awareness in which people avoid harming each other or themselves, and has little to do with small-minded proscription of a nitpicking list of "offenses."

In that view, to improve morality requires not a list of "prohibited" behaviors, but the encouragement of imagination and conscience, so that one is able to empathise with others and avoid things that would hurt them or their feelings. A truly moral society would be more concerned with the relative poverty and suffering of neighbors than whether or not Mr. A was sleeping with Ms. B. In an ideally moral society, the economic and education deficiences of citizens of this particular nation would probably be of the utmost concern. One could then rely on relatively healthy and sane individuals to take on the example of their nation (in terms of not hurting others) and apply this to their sexual or other private behavior, to the benefit of themselves and others.

Hmm I'm Thai and I'm very happy with the commitment shown by this government in transparency and their emphasis in morality. If you, a visitor, are not, I guess you can always go back to wherever you are from. I'm sure there are plenty other places in the world where morality in their societies is not a priority. They should suit you fine.

These kinds of "you're a farang guest here and so your opinion isn't wanted" posts are against the whole point of a discussion forum about foreigners in Thailand, and extremely unimaginative- you couldn't come up with a rational rejoinder, so you have to resort to this kind of thoughtlessness and insult every foreigner on the board as someone whose opinion, if different, is worthless. Please don't make a habit of this kind of post; I consider it rather inflammatory.

"Steven"

The reality I see with my own eyes everyday here in Thailand is totally different from what is shown on frontpages of Thai newspapers. I certainly do not see blooded corpses everyday. I don't recall when I've seen a dead body last time.

Do newspapers influence the reality? Do they promote violent behavior by making it a mundane, everyday thing?

I guess we can have an endless series of arguments on this, but not among those who agree with Michael Moore's "Columbine".

"The minister added that at present the Thai society is still divided and recent unrest situations suggest that people’s morality has been corrupted. "

That one sentence tells it all. The act has been motivated by 'recent unrest situations'. And which situations? The bombings? The existance of 'undercurrents' that resent the coup? Or is it the fact that Thai society is divided.

And just which divide is referred to- the divide between rich and poor? Moslem and Buddhist? puritans and hedonists? Or could he just be referring to the divide between those who accept the junta's rule - and those who don't.

You are with us - or you are immoral-

Let us know when you embodiment the feeling of the whole nation and I will start to care what you think.

The reality I see with my own eyes everyday here in Thailand is totally different from what is shown on frontpages of Thai newspapers. I certainly do not see blooded corpses everyday. I don't recall when I've seen a dead body last time.

"Unless I have seen it, it didn't happend."

Nice. I unfortuanly saw the last bloody corpse two weeks ago (motorbike hite by car, Ram Intra km 2~3), but then again, I live in Bangkok.

If you don't want to see bloody corpse on the frontpage, buy another newspaper.

What a load of crap!! Another busy body who can't mind his own business but insists on imposing his boring , religeous values on others.

"The minister added that at present the Thai society is still divided and recent unrest situations suggest that people’s morality has been corrupted. "

That one sentence tells it all. The act has been motivated by 'recent unrest situations'. And which situations? The bombings? The existance of 'undercurrents' that resent the coup? Or is it the fact that Thai society is divided.

And just which divide is referred to- the divide between rich and poor? Moslem and Buddhist? puritans and hedonists? Or could he just be referring to the divide between those who accept the junta's rule - and those who don't.

With all due respect to my buddies, who I like to help out on countless times because it's evident they really do try, but so often miss the mark with clarity or precision... the one sentence tells it all is:

Trying to sort out what exactly they really mean can easily produce migranes, so it's usually best to try not to. :o

Edited by sriracha john

Has anybody ever read the little red book, which is published by the Thai Ministry of Culture? It's not very big & about 90% crap. It raves on with completely absurd 'control' of thoughts & actions...down to even combing your hair & touching your face in public.

The 10% useful stuff is about greetings & meetings...very helpful.

I was issued this book at an 'Understanding Thainess' seminar. After the seminar, most of us were a little worried about being in Thailand. But now.......

• 2 months later...

Khunying Thipawadi says Morality Promotion Act nearly completed

Minister of the Office of the Prime Minister says the draft of the Morality Promotion Act is nearly completed. The PM’s Office expects that the Act will help raise moral standards of state officials.

PM’s Office Minister Khunying Thipawadi Meksawan (ทิพาวดี เมฆสวรรค์) reveals that the highlights of the Act are article 7 and 9. Article 7 addresses operational guidelines for government units to allow them to operate more with more transparency. As for article 9, it addresses ethical standards of state officials.

Khunying Thipawadi says after the Act has been enforced, all government units, including the Cabinet, courts, and state enterprises, are required to adjust themselves in line with the Act. The ministry will submit the Act draft to the Cabinet meeting on April 24th and later to the National Legislative Assembly.

The ministry will also request all government units to assess performances of their unit as a whole and of each official. The assessment for officials will be carried out by their supervisors in line with their behaviors.

The ministry hopes that this kind of assessment will boost morale of state officials and make them want to do more good things.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 April 2007

The problem with this kind of laws is that their main idea (morality, good moral, ethics) cannot be sufficiently defined for a predictable application of the law. So two things can happen:

- either the law will not be applied and remains simply a dead piece of paper,

- or it will be used to get rid of opponents, thus opening wide any and all kind of abuse of discretion.

What it would need is to really apply the existing laws, mostly the Penal Code. Then corruption, abuse of power etc could be fought and prosecuted.

The French philosopher Montesquieue said onec: "Si une loi n'est pas nécessaire, il est nécessaire de ne pas avoir une loi."

(If a law is not necessary, it is necessary to not have this law.)

The problem with this kind of laws is that their main idea (morality, good moral, ethics) cannot be sufficiently defined for a predictable application of the law. So two things can happen:

- either the law will not be applied and remains simply a dead piece of paper,

- or it will be used to get rid of opponents, thus opening wide any and all kind of abuse of discretion.

What it would need is to really apply the existing laws, mostly the Penal Code. Then corruption, abuse of power etc could be fought and prosecuted.

The French philosopher Montesquieue said onec: "Si une loi n'est pas nécessaire, il est nécessaire de ne pas avoir une loi."

(If a law is not necessary, it is necessary to not have this law.)

Too true Dominique,

It all sounds a bit vague to me...

something upon the lines of

"Stop taking backhanders and ripping off/abusing the poor defenseless people,

and favouring the rich while lining your own pockets or it off to jail with you,you naughty officials"

would impress me a bit more.

I'm not saying theres no corruption where I come from(Ireland),there is...(hel_l there is in every country)its just so accepted here,its like an extra tax!,

As an example a load of high ranking Gardai who were caught in questionable acts in Ireland recently

(Backhanders,exploiting sex workers for sexual favours and cash,building code breaches etc...sound familiar some of those don't they! :o ) were hounded by the press,prosecuted by the state and are now serving L-O-N-G terms in prison where they cant even mix with the other inmates or they'll get the chop...more of a discouragement to others I feel :D

• 4 weeks later...

Morality Promotion Act aimed to combat gambling and addictive substances

The Minister of Culture reveals that the draft of the Morality Promotion Act addresses a master plan and strategies to resolve the society’s obsession in gambling and addictive substances.

Minister of Culture Khunying Khaisri Sri-arun (ไขศรี ศรีอรุณ) says Deputy Minister and Minister of Social Development and Human Security Paiboon Wattanasiritham (ไพบูลย์ วัฒนศิริธรรม) has already approved of the draft. The Morality Promotion Act requires the government to set up three working groups, including the National Morality Caravan, the Morality Promotion Committee, and the Morality Promotion Office. The minister adds that the Act draft will be submitted to the Cabinet for approval soon.

The three working groups consist of representatives of government, private, and civil sectors. They have a responsibility to inform the government and the ministry of the latest situation of gambling and addictive substances and help the ministry draft the master plan on the suppression of immoral behaviors.

Khunying Khaisri says further that the Morality Promotion Office is expected to be set up as a public organization under the supervision of the Office of the Prime Minister. It will replace the Morality Center of the Office of Knowledge Management and Development. She affirms the selection of executives of the Morality Promotion Office will be carried out carefully and transparently. All ministries are required to send an official to sit in the executive board.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 May 2007

This is gonna be fun. A bunch of idiots that have nothing to do with morality, giving morality lessons. I also agree with wintermute's post,

...if you wanted to dig in and question the REAL controversial parts of thai society the whole nation would lose face.

That would rock their world :o . Would you imagine that? "Can not sell baby? No more BS? No more abuses? No more bribing??? Not ok for my daughter(s) to prostitute themselfs for out wellbeing? Ohoooo, khun bah!!!"

Edited by alexth

Lesson in Thai political management:

Lesson 1) "Social conservatives - how to get them out of your hair"

Social Conservatives in every country tend to be a pain in the butt in running a pragmatic and effective government. You, as a minister/prime minister will be wanting to spend your time addressing real issues such as the economy, poverty, health and education. More often then not though the zealots will divert your attention from these objectives, unless you deal with them effectively from the get-go. This manual recommends to following steps in effectively neutralising these idiots:

- Round them up and dump them into the 'Ministry of Culture"

- Give the most conservative ones important titles and positions in such ministry.

- Those surplus to available positions, should get the title of Khunying. This will ensure that they maximise their time at the hairdresser getting the bouffant tended to.....and out of YOUR hair.

- Make sure the ministry has no power to implement anything that it says.

- Make sure the ministry is well funded, diverting as many funds as possible into reports, comittees and legislative drafting processes. Ensure that every decision has to be approved by at least three subcomittees.

- As Prime Minister, make sure you let them out at least once a year, usually around Songkran to protest about Spagehetti Strap tops. However, if they are a bit hot to handle, let them draft some uneforceable legistlation and pass it in parliament. Pat them on the back for a job well done, and put them back into the cupboard till next year.

-Repeat process.

I think you're missing the point here, morals in Thailand are defined different than in the west. I don't think this has anything to do with sex. what they are saying is: "It will place more importance to moral values and merit making than wealth and power. " witch I understand to be: poor people don't try to be rich, poor people don't try to get power, leave that to us, the unelected government. basically accept your fate and don't try to change it.

I, for one, think that is scary.

Morty

So the wealthy and powerful will be transferring some of this wealth and power! Or are they trying to discourage the poor and powerless from upward mobility?

I suspect the latter. Bar girls driving round in new cars, owning houses, buying land and cattle, speaking English better than the wealthy "Educated" thias, speaking English better than any Thai English Teacher I have ever met. Using better English than any rich Thai that bought their education certificate or got one from a language school with a no fail policy!!

Wait till all these Thai/English kids are older, better educated, less hot headed, more rational and with more foresight than the current "Elite". The country could be in danger of taking a massive step forward which would be a major tragedy to around 500 people in the country.

Yes, I think you're probably right. Thai hi-so's are starting to notice this. Money can't buy your fat little rich brat an IQ - no matter which university you get him into. The Brits figured this out too - a long time ago -- that's why the private education system and university entrance are tied together - No private schooling = no good uni prospects = no top job prospects. Essentially, employers over there have to pull from the best of the 10% (of the rich)...which leaves UK 14th in every league table I've ever seen when it should probably be around 7th if it was recruiting from the brightest of the brightest. An artificial creation - Thailand is just copying that model.

But I don't think that's the reason for these Thai actions. It's probably a secondary reaction. Basically they are trying to defend their privileged positions by closing the door to all others. Preaching morality and to be sufficiently happy with the fact some are rich and decadent while others are poor. "Be happy you are poor and don't think too much that 'we' are rich".....meanwhile 'we' will continue to do our own thing....that would seem to be the idea.

Social Conservatives in every country tend to be a pain in the butt in running a pragmatic and effective government. You, as a minister/prime minister will be wanting to spend your time addressing real issues such as the economy, poverty, health and education. More often then not though the zealots will divert your attention from these objectives, unless you deal with them effectively from the get-go. This manual recommends to following steps in effectively neutralising these idiots:

- Give the most conservative ones important titles and positions in such ministry.

- Those surplus to available positions, should get the title of Khunying. This will ensure that they maximise their time at the hairdresser getting the bouffant tended to.....and out of YOUR hair.

- Make sure the ministry is well funded, diverting as many funds as possible into reports, comittees and legislative drafting processes. Ensure that every decision has to be approved by at least three subcomittees.

- As Prime Minister, make sure you let them out at least once a year, usually around Songkran to protest about Spagehetti Strap tops. However, if they are a bit hot to handle, let them draft some uneforceable legistlation and pass it in parliament. Pat them on the back for a job well done, and put them back into the cupboard till next year.

-Repeat process.

should this not be in the ,

you know you've been in Thailand too long thread ????????

-Repeat process.

very very good ..

I reali liked it. however it can applt not only to Thais but to almost every country in the world specially those wonderfull senetors in the USA. that some of the legistlation and bills they pass regarding morality can give thailand some great ideas.

Thailand is having a morality crisis. and is affected bu the morality crisis that is sweeping the world....

hold it hold it I was joking....

Thailand has its own values and tradition even though many members on this forum tend to think that morality and values only exist in the west.

9-10 yesrs ago with the initiation of multi chanel TV and the internet, Thai people have been exposed to many diferent cultures not all sharing the same values as thai traditional ones.

this over exposure has led to a change in Thai society and younger generation thais are more open minded more liberal and less fussy about values that were once considered taboos.

the popular use of adictive substances is a part of this new hype and it is definatly a problem.

One can understand why those"Social Conservatives " then bash the whole problem as one issue and call it morality..

the older generation in Thailand as as any old generation any where in the world is appauled by the personal freedom and what they see as the lack of values.

As this older generation is usualy in power they attept to pass legistlation to controll it. it never works and it will never work.

just as reminder here is something I found from 2 years ago in the USA. it is not refering to americans but more so to those "Social Conservatives" buisy bodies that allways are sure that they can educate us for better morals.

In his inaugural address last month, George W. Bush did what U.S. presidents often do on occasions of high ceremony,he held the United States up as an example for people around the world desperate for freedom and the expansion of personal liberty.

America, in this young century, proclaims liberty throughout all the world, and to all the inhabitants thereof, Bush said, with soaring idealism. In a world moving toward liberty, we are determined to show the meaning and promise of liberty.

It was a stirring call for oppressive governments everywhere to loosen the reins on their people. One imagined Afghan women ripping off their burkas on hearing Bushs Jeffersonian rhetoric.

But as far as showing the rest of the world the meaning and promise of personal liberty, U.S. lawmakers have lately struggled to clear up their confusion about just what that should entail in their own backyard.

Take the legislature of Virginia.

This week, legislators in Richmond briefly lost their senses and voted 64 to 30 for legislation banning people from wearing baggy pants that hang too low.

In a bid to protect Virginias gentle citizenry from seeing someones Calvin Klein skivvies, House Bill 1981 ordered that any person who exposes his below-waist undergarments in a lewd or indecent manner shall be assessed a $50 penalty.

As stupid ideas go, it ranked right up there with North Carolinas anti-hippie law of 1972, which attempted to legislate how long students could wear their hair at school.

Not to pick on Virginia, but until last month the state had a fornication law banning sexual relations between unmarried couples in private places. The states Supreme Court struck down the 200-year-old law after legislators refused to act.

State legislators this winter have also been debating same-sex marriage and school prayer, deciding to pass laws banning the former and allowing the latter.

Just in case folks didnt get the message about Virginias preferred form of sexual relations, the legislature approved new state licence plates to include the words traditional marriage and two interlocking gold wedding bands superimposed over a red heart.

Virginia does want to set an example of what character should be,said Representative Algie Howell, the Democrat who sponsored the short-lived underpants law. It has to do with character building.

-Repeat process.

should this not be in the ,

you know you've been in Thailand too long thread ????????

Hey, it is Thai visa compassion week with us moderators, letting people know what really goes on.

Stop people banging on for 5 pages, getting wound up about on a non issue. A community service really!

What this story really is about is they let the loonies out loony bin (Ministry of Culture) for a couple of weeks. Let them get some sun (airtime), stroke their egos making them think that they are important and then let them go back to their ministry so as how they can plan the 2008 'moral' crusade against some other 'threat' to traditional Thai values.

All sounds familar doesn't it? Except in Thailand they don't let them get into real positions of power unlike many other places in the world.