Transfer to uk if you have IBAN code

39 minutes ago, fanjita said:

For such a small amount might be easier to withdraw and take it with you in cash.  There's also websites that trade excess foreign currency which might be slightly more profitable.  

Not going to UK. Just want info on anyones experience.

If I was going I'd have that in my pocket.

Edited by overherebc

Tried today at the bank where I hold the account, money all arrives tax paid from UK, filled out the transfer form and when I handed over the form, completed, the girl read it and got on the phone. Manager appeared and asked where is your work permit? I replied I'm retired how do I get a work permit?

He answered you have no documents so cannot do a transfer. I said here is my passport with valid visa etc, he replied need more documents, I said ok what documents he said nothing, just looked blank.

End result was from him 'cannot do' rules changed.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Tried today at the bank where I hold the account, money all arrives tax paid from UK, filled out the transfer form and when I handed over the form, completed, the girl read it and got on the phone. Manager appeared and asked where is your work permit? I replied I'm retired how do I get a work permit?

He answered you have no documents so cannot do a transfer. I said here is my passport with valid visa etc, he replied need more documents, I said ok what documents he said nothing, just looked blank.

End result was from him 'cannot do' rules changed.

Did you show him the FET or its equivalent?

Which bank located where...I'm guessing TMB?

I can't believe these stone age types are still allowed to work in banks here!

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Did you show him the FET or its equivalent?

Which bank located where...I'm guessing TMB?

I can't believe these stone age types are still allowed to work in banks here!

FET ?

I'm guessing Foreign Exchange Transfer ??

They, bank, get my pensions tax paid from UK every month so so should be easier for them to check.

They just wouldn't give way on the 'work permit'.

Edited by overherebc

32 minutes ago, overherebc said:

FET ?

I'm guessing Foreign Exchange Transfer ??

They, bank, get my pensions tax paid from UK every month so so should be easier for them to check.

They just wouldn't give way on the 'work permit'.

FET - correct.

Technically, your pension is income rather than a capital transfer, you wouldn't expect to get a FET for pension transfers, that's money that is designed/understood to be used for living expenses hence it's now been spent hence cannot be exported.

All that said, another bank may see things differently if you get stuck PM me and I may be able to point you at another option that the bank in question does not like being made public.

14 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

FET - correct.

Technically, your pension is income rather than a capital transfer, you wouldn't expect to get a FET for pension transfers, that's money that is designed/understood to be used for living expenses hence it's now been spent hence cannot be exported.

All that said, another bank may see things differently if you get stuck PM me and I may be able to point you at another option that the bank in question does not like being made public.

Going to another bank tomorrow where my wife has her money. We'll see what happens there.

If not my mates brother will do the transfer within Uk and I'll give cash to my mate here.

More than one way to skin a cat.

• Like 1

I had similar problem last year trying to book a resort in Indonesia. They wanted the deposit (equivalent to around THB14,000) paid by bank transfer. Tried two banks, BBK and K-Bank, and neither would let me without a work permit. I am retired also, so that wasn't possible.

30 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I had similar problem last year trying to book a resort in Indonesia. They wanted the deposit (equivalent to around THB14,000) paid by bank transfer. Tried two banks, BBK and K-Bank, and neither would let me without a work permit. I am retired also, so that wasn't possible.

Sad really, isn't it?

Thing that confuses me is if the money comes from uk officially you can send/take it back. If you have a work permit it's earned in Thailand so you can't officially take/send it to UK.

Edited by overherebc

10 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Sad really, isn't it?

Thing that confuses me is if the money comes from uk officially you can send/take it back. If you have a work permit it's earned in Thailand so you can't officially take/send it to UK.

It's the other way around. If funds are wired in from overseas, unless these were used for condo purchase and registered with the receiving Thai bank as such, then they cannot be easily repatriated without the original paperwork. That's the only way that a Thai bank will allow the funds from a condo sale to be remitted overseas.. Regular inbound remittances for any other purposes don't count for any repatriation procedures. However, if you have a WP, you can send ALL your Thai earnings back overseas.

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's the other way around. If funds are wired in from overseas, unless these were used for condo purchase and registered with the receiving Thai bank as such, then they cannot be easily repatriated without the original paperwork. That's the only way that a Thai bank will allow the funds from a condo sale to be remitted overseas.. Regular inbound remittances for any other purposes don't count for any repatriation procedures. However, if you have a WP, you can send ALL your Thai earnings back overseas.

The logic goes over my head.

How do you get a WP when you are 70 and retired?

Edited by overherebc

In my case I worked in Thailand for many years and then retired. I made full copies of my last two work permits, just in case, and my bank has told me that would be acceptable for sending funds out of the country. But you never know until you try...

There seems to no consistency, I needed to pay an invoice for a tad over SGD4,100 to a bank in Singapore, thinking it would be impossible from a bank here I arranged to do a transfer from my UK bank using TransferWise. Unfortunately the recipient gave me an incorrect SWIFT code, the payment was rejected and TransferWise returned the funds to the UK bank.

I went into my local Kasikorn bank armed with no more than an invoice, an email with the incorrect SWIFT code, hand corrected by me and my passport, the funds were on the way in 30 minutes.

This is the very same branch that wouldn’t allow my wife and I to open a joint account citing a new BOT that their HQ confirmed doesn’t exist.