What visas are eligible for permanent motorcycle license

Hi, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

I've been told if you want a permanent Thai motorcycle license you need a non O, retirement or work visa and a tourist visa only gets you a 90 day licence.

My question is for a friend who'll be travelling here frequently and he has a APEC visa which allows him to stay 90 days at a time. Is he eligible for a permanent motorcycle license.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

You need a long term visa like "O" or "B" or an extension of stay to qualify for a 5 year licence, if you have a tourist visa you can get a temporary 2 year licence.

I believe you only get a 2 year licence with the "elite visa" too.

Your friend could get an International drivers permit and use it with their home country licence to drive in Thailand for the 90 day period.

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

cant vouch for the veracity, but heres what it says.

Qualifying requirements:

• Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age
  • If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

A Non-Immigrant visa of any type (i.e O or B ) gets you a 2 year temporary license (first time) followed by a 5 year licence upon renewal.

Any other visa (tourist visa or visa exempt stamp, Thai Elite Visa etc) gets you a 2 year temporary licence. 

Tourists can can get a license. 

Application is simple especially with an IDP to accompany your existing licence.

22 hours ago, HooHaa said:

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

cant vouch for the veracity, but heres what it says.

Qualifying requirements:

• Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age
  • If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

As usual, very helpful....Your bird ain't turned up yet then....:saai:

I had the wife ring up the roads department and they didn't know what a APEC card/visa was and said he would only get a 90 day licence.

I guess he'll just have to take all the documents listed in the link above (thanks for the link) and just see what they give him. 

Thanks for the replies

39 minutes ago, Dimebag said:

I had the wife ring up the roads department and they didn't know what a APEC card/visa was and said he would only get a 90 day licence.

I guess he'll just have to take all the documents listed in the link above (thanks for the link) and just see what they give him. 

Thanks for the replies

Home license/IDP is only valid for 90 days use...

2 hours ago, Dimebag said:

Thanks for the replies

90 day license doesn't exist, temporary license is 2 years.

Archived