Hello,

I am going through the process of setting up a Thai Limited Company to be able to run a restaurant. Most of the legal stuff is in process already but I am looking for a varied and informed input regarding the trading name of the restaurant.

Example, my Limited Company is name ABC co limited but on the door above the restaurant it will be XYZ restaurant.

How can I protect XYZ restaurant to ensure that others dont copy or on the other side that I am not infringing on someone elses rights.

All informed opinions are welcome.........

I hope you can help...... I am almost at the end of the trail.... its been 2 years since I started "the ball rolling"................ patience is a virtue - especially in Thailand!

Hi,

Simply register your trademark with the Trademark Division of the Department of Intellectual Property. As a foreigner you must resister a trademark by appointing an agent who is a Thai resident and granting him power of attorney.

First the lawyer does a trademark search to identify trademarks which may be similar is style or design. The Trademark Registrar will also perform a similar process during evaluation of your application as your trademark cannot be similar to an already existing mark. The search takes from 3 days to 7 business days. Our fee is 2,800 Baht plus VAT

Protection rights begin on the date of filing but because of the red tape, it takes roughly six months to one year from the date of filing to get the certificate.

The trademark license agreement is good for ten years. You renew it 90 days before expiration of the current registration.

Our fee is 9,500 Baht plus Vat. Ask for Khun Jane, She has done a number of these applications.

What you must give Khun Jane or another Law firm for them to apply for registration of a trademark application

Copies of the mark (in color if required);

the full address of the your main place of business;

what type of juristic entity the owner is;

Your nationality and place of incorporation;

a specific list of goods and services;

a power of attorney duly notarized,

a signed declaration verifying ownership.

Looking forward to helping you.

www.sunbeltasia.com

[email protected]

Hi Appelman,

Good luck with the restaurant, what style of food will be on the menu and where do you plan to locate.

Maybe on my next visit to LOS i will get a chance to eat at your restaurant :o

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

It will be fusion food - thai and international.

Location will be Soi 23 Sukhumvit, right opposite Tai Pan hotel.

When the legals are finished and trademarks established I will be posting details here.

THanks for the good wishes......... it's going to be one ###### of a ride.....

Later