Do you need an international driving permit?

On 5/19/2018 at 7:26 PM, sammym said:

But I don't live in Thailand. I just go on holiday there twice a year. 

I've been googling and it's not clear. I'm thinking for the sake of £5.50 I might just get one as I can't be doing spending time trying to argue with a police man on holiday. And I'd probably just give them 500baht to enjoy my day - which doesn't help anyone trying to do it the right way like I am now. 

Seems to be the most practical solution. I gather that officially/legally an IDP is still required in addition to your driving licence from your home country. In practice the police usually accept an English language driving licence.

Some are knowledgeable and pedantic enough to determine that you have the correct class of licence for the vehicle you are operating, but mostly they don't bother. Occasionally they'll be really clever and request an IDP.... Happened to me once. I just glared at the officer and he sent me on my way. The police prefer complaint targets.

Edited by Aj Mick

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522. section 42,  Does not specifically state 90 days, it states that you can only use home license/IDP if you are "not" on an non-immigration visa/extension. IE: can only use home license/IDP on a visa exempt, tourist visa etc, the longest possible stay on a visa exempt, tourist visa is 90 days.

Put another way, once you are on a Visa/extension were you start doing 90 reports, home license/IDP is no longer valid.

This site gives a good explanation and has links to the motor act.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/type-of-driving-licence-required/

The english translation says "immigrant", not "non-immigrant". With immigrant visa they mean permanent residency, you can see this when reading the law in Thai. So non-immigrant visa + IDP is ok.

2 hours ago, weri said:

The rules state, if you have a valid licence with Photo and in English you are allowed to drive in Thailand if you are a Tourist or Visitor

This is not what the rules state

I posted everything there with sources:

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Depends on the individual DLT, most will accept home license, some will also require an IDP (as a translation), some DLTs that dont do many foreign conversions may also want the embassy stamp etc, they are in the minority.

Your first Thai license is always a 2 year temporary license, regardless of visa status.

True.. The first is 2 years anyway....

4 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

My post doesn't say LEGALLy required it says required. RAC website means something as without IDP  many here would already have received umpteen penalty notices . 'Recommended' is an understatement , ..more like ' ESSENTIAL'

I'm not a solicitor nor can I read Thai , nor could be bothered to read Thai law even if I did . Virtually every cop in Pattaya wants to see IDP. (Or Thai)..end of

So because you feel that in Pattaya it is required to avoid fines, you feel that is the end of a discussion.

There is more to Thailand than Pattaya, and there are even legal requirements, even though you don't think that is important.

• Like 1

It really is easy and has been covered in the recent post replies and done to death on TVF;

Up to 90 days you need your countries valid licence with an IDP (yes a lot of times a licence in english seems ok in various parts of LOS) Where motorcycles are concerned if you do not have the entitlement on your own country licence then you know full well you are not qualified to operate such a vehicle ( cue discussion on e.g UK car licence covers you up to 50cc or 125 on L plates etc...)

Come on hol to LOS bring an IDP if you going to drive with your licence, if you have not done a bike test then do not ride a bike as you are running a huge risk (it is dangerous enough already on the roads)

If staying longer than 90 days then you can go get a transfer to Thai licence for car and bike IF you have the entitlements, if not then take the Thai tests - Its an experience lol...

I have a US friend who lives here in Phuket, he is now getting a bit p i $$d as in last 8 months he has repeatedly paid fines for not having a thai motorcycle licence, he has his US auto licence and for some reason a Thai Auto licence yet he owns a motorbike here and did not bother to do the test when he transferred his auto licence to a Thai one?? last time at Chalong circle he got slapped with 500Baht for no helmet and 500Baht for showing the cop a Thai auto licence lol... The Police are definitely keen on this now - helmets and licence 

Thread is titled ' Do you need an IDP?'..  Its you that's saying its not legally required. I'm saying whether legally required or not its practically essential in  parts of Thailand .Whether legally required or not , if you've got one  you certainly can't be penalized for not having one. It seems people are getting stopped all over Thailand these days and need to produce it. Maybe some rural areas you might still get away with it . It's not so much the 400 baht fine, as the inconvenience of getting your keys taken , MC taxi to cop shop , wait in queue maybe 1 hour to pay , MC taxi back.   As I said before, as to whether you need one for driving here ..yes ...end of. ( Unless Thai License)

47 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Thread is titled ' Do you need an IDP?'..  Its you that's saying its not legally required. I'm saying whether legally required or not its practically essential in  parts of Thailand .Whether legally required or not , if you've got one  you certainly can't be penalized for not having one. It seems people are getting stopped all over Thailand these days and need to produce it. Maybe some rural areas you might still get away with it . It's not so much the 400 baht fine, as the inconvenience of getting your keys taken , MC taxi to cop shop , wait in queue maybe 1 hour to pay , MC taxi back.   As I said before, as to whether you need one for driving here ..yes ...end of. ( Unless Thai License)

Now that is different from what you said earlier.

Many places official fines on the spot BTW, so far more convenient.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I popped to the post office near my work at lunchtime and am now the proud owner of an IDP. Cost me slightly more as I needed to use the booth to get passport photos. The process is very quick and painless and takes about 5 minutes. 

I'm also looking up the process of getting the Thai license. For no other real reason as I'd love the novelty factor of being able to say I've got one. I also visit a couple of times a year. I won't do it if it's costly or takes a lot of time. 

7 hours ago, sammym said:

I'm also looking up the process of getting the Thai license. For no other real reason as I'd love the novelty factor of being able to say I've got one. I also visit a couple of times a year. I won't do it if it's costly or takes a lot of time.

Not expensive usually takes about 2 hours as they tell you to watch a 1 hour vid.

On 5/20/2018 at 6:12 PM, nchuckle said:

The actual legal requirement is to have an IDP here. You may well get away with it as far as the police are concerned but if you have an accident it will be a whole other ballgame. £5.50...GET IT! 

Incorrect....any foreign licence provided it is in English is valid for 90 days provided you are a tourist...that bit is important.. That is the law as I understand it. An IDP  is handy but not essential. 

I've run the full gamut...Aussie license accepted without IDP,  Aussie license rejected and fined 200 baht (same as Thai person according to the cop in Lamduan, and good for another weeks driving,just keep receipt) Aussie licence accepted but cop asking if he could take a photo of the IDP (never seen one before...near Chong Chom border crossing). Also been told off for not having my passport with me near Chong Chom....but not asked for a drivers licence,,,go figure.

To the OP...yes bring an IDP with you to try and minimise hassles.

Edited by tryasimight
  • Like 1