Trawler captains face massive fine after catching whale shark

rooster59

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:

The sea isn't as good at bouncing back as you might think. Look at the Cod fishing collapse of 1990.

Stocks now are about 1% of 1977 stocks. It has never rebounded.

i think you need to research a little bit more

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i think you need to research a little bit more

Cod stocks have shown a small gain in recent years but fell this year. Still critical since 1992. In 26 years there hasn't been enough to open up the fisheries.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/northern-cod-stocks-decline-1.4589786

There is hope, but some things will go extinct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Happy enough said:

they accidentally caught one whale shark and let it go the best they could. saying they would have kept it and sold it in local markets if they hadn't been seen is BS. 

Highly unlikely it was accidental. You are either willfully ignoring the sordid history of Thai fishing fleets or are genuinely ignorant.  Thai fishing fleets have had a lengthy history of violating  international rules and  of  engaging in environmentally irresponsible acts. It goes beyond the dumping of raw waste and bilge water.

You know those tuna cans that have the "dolphin friendly" inidicator? The sham of  protecting dolphins was forced on  the Thai tuna fleet by the EU and the USA. The Thai fishing industry resisted.  Do you know what bycatch is? It is the killing of allegedly non target animals because of the methods used to fish. 

The respective percentage of marine mammals known to suffer from bycatch are  (93% of baleen whales; 83% of phocid seals; 82% of toothed whales, including dolphins; 57% of otariid seals and sea lions; and 100% of sirenians, which include manatees and their relatives). This means that they are regularly killed by the current methods used by nations such as Thailand. 

Do you know why there are pirates off of Somalia? It is due in large part to the destruction of the local fish stocks due to overfishing and illegal fishing by foreign fishing fleets which  are distinguished by the presence of Thais, Indians, Iranians, Vietnamese and Chinese.

The  sad fact is that these trawler barbarians will not be significantly fined, nor will they lose their vessels. They will go back to their activities and will be careful not to get caught next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Highly unlikely it was accidental. You are either willfully ignoring the sordid history of Thai fishing fleets or are genuinely ignorant.  Thai fishing fleets have had a lengthy history of violating  international rules and  of  engaging in environmentally irresponsible acts. It goes beyond the dumping of raw waste and bilge water.

You know those tuna cans that have the "dolphin friendly" inidicator? The sham of  protecting dolphins was forced on  the Thai tuna fleet by the EU and the USA. The Thai fishing industry resisted.  Do you know what bycatch is? It is the killing of allegedly non target animals because of the methods used to fish. 

The respective percentage of marine mammals known to suffer from bycatch are  (93% of baleen whales; 83% of phocid seals; 82% of toothed whales, including dolphins; 57% of otariid seals and sea lions; and 100% of sirenians, which include manatees and their relatives). This means that they are regularly killed by the current methods used by nations such as Thailand. 

Do you know why there are pirates off of Somalia? It is due in large part to the destruction of the local fish stocks due to overfishing and illegal fishing by foreign fishing fleets which  are distinguished by the presence of Thais, Indians, Iranians, Vietnamese and Chinese.

The  sad fact is that these trawler barbarians will not be significantly fined, nor will they lose their vessels. They will go back to their activities and will be careful not to get caught next time.

you had a point to make but bored the hell out of me til you got to it. somalia and shit, <deleted>. its about thailand. whatever. every comment i made, i stand by

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

Probably not BS.

300K-3M baht? Do you believe that is a good fine? Just compare it to many people killing a person, and then maybe they get a fine of 500K-1M baht. Ok, the whales are much more expensive. 

Same.... same.  Prices per kilo now in LOS....

“We all know that catching a whale shark is a criminal offence, but we got caught out by accident'.

Fixed! :post-4641-1156694572:

Anyone else find it ironic that fish abuse is a B300k plus fine but a traffic offence runs to B500. Priorities need sorting out.

Edited by Psimbo

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

Happy enough, i think perhaps you might consider changing the adjective happy for 'bitter' or 'aggressive' or 'haughty', because that's how you come out through your numerous comments.

For a start, you sort of hijack this thread (out of 35 posts so far, 12 are yours, that's a solid 30%), and then you lash out at people who disagree with you or express opinions you don't like.

Could you maybe adopt a more civilized manner of talking with others or do you sincerely believe that everyone who doesn't think like you or disagrees with you can only be a hopeless idiot ? This is a discussion Forum, Sir, not a boxing ring, and your aggressiveness is tiresome.

oh ok. i just woke up. are you sure you shouldn't be talking to yourself. i just gave an opinion on fishing as it's at the core of my family. i won't speak then since you get offended so easily by comments on a fricking forum. coffee ; )

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Let's not forget that this is the tip of the iceberg.theres a lot more trawlers out there and this was a 1 off caught red handed jobbie.how many die every year ???????

Edited by happy chappie
Spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Get Real said:

Probably not BS.

300K-3M baht? Do you believe that is a good fine? Just compare it to many people killing a person, and then maybe they get a fine of 500K-1M baht. Ok, the whales are much more expensive. 

There are too many people anyway

A whale shark has more value and scarcity 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Not to mention their sordid history as part time pirates responsible for countless murders, kidnappings, rapes, tortures, and human trafficking particularly against Vietnamese refugees.  I remember being here in the late 80's and the news was full of the discovery of a group of dead Vietnamese women and girls found drowned and naked washed up on the beach here.  They had been kidnapped by Thai fisherman, taken on to the Thai trawlers while the refugee men and boys were murdered and their boats sunk.  The older refugee women had their vaginas slit open because there was a rumour that they carried a lot of gold and thats where it was kept.  The women and girls were used as sex toys and raped for days until the Thai fisherman had had their fill.  Then for a bit of fun the women were tied together in a long string and the first one pushed over board while they motored along watching each girl struggled to not get dragged overboard.  Just do a google, its full of it.

Yes I am sure these Thai fisherman have a lot of respect for the sea and its poor defensive sea creatures!!

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

And you are wrong. The issue of the overfishing by Thai fleets is one and the same with the taking of protected wildlife. If Thailand cannot respect international agreements to  not fish for protected species, and to not fish in waters where they should not be, do not expect people to give the benefit of the doubt to a Thai fisher who is part of an industry with a lengthy history of misconduct.

these problems are the same the world over. thailand is just a few steps behind. by the way, you'll rarely see a thai on a fishing boat. they're generally burmese

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

these problems are the same the world over. thailand is just a few steps behind. by the way, you'll rarely see a thai on a fishing boat. they're generally burmese

But the owner is probably a Thai

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Happy enough said:

the point i was trying to make earlier is that alot of the vessels taking the piss are owned by chinese not thais

what you mean they owned by chinese.

chinese - chinese

or thai - chinese?

6 minutes ago, huuwi said:

what you mean they owned by chinese.

chinese - chinese

or thai - chinese?

they say chinese so i go by what they say, could well be thai/chinese but whoever they are, they're not welcome and they over fish. unfortunately they seem to have power

Edited by Happy enough

12 hours ago, Happy enough said:

No they are not the same the world over. I can assure you that  Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, American, Scottish, Irish,  Danish, South African, Swedish et al fishing boats respect the rules and international treaties. It is always the same countries who violate international agreements and who bust sanctions. 

So what if some of the fishing boats have Burmese crews? Those boats are owned and controlled by Thais. The captains are Thais. The first officers are Thais. They are supposed to be supervised and regulated by Thailand. The  crews do not decide what to fish. The orders are given by the Thai captain and the Thai operators.The implicated people here were Thais, not Burmese.  

The continual blaming of foreign labour for the misdeeds of Thais is tiresome and wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

No they are not the same the world over. I can assure you that  Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, American, Scottish, Irish,  Danish, South African, Swedish et al fishing boats respect the rules and international treaties. It is always the same countries who violate international agreements and who bust sanctions. 

So what if some of the fishing boats have Burmese crews? Those boats are owned and controlled by Thais. The captains are Thais. The first officers are Thais. They are supposed to be supervised and regulated by Thailand. The  crews do not decide what to fish. The orders are given by the Thai captain and the Thai operators.The implicated people here were Thais, not Burmese.  

The continual blaming of foreign labour for the misdeeds of Thais is tiresome and wrong.

it was the burmese ?