Air force trainer goes down at Bhumibol dam, 1 dead

snoop1130

Air force trainer goes down at Bhumibol dam, 1 dead

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

ตาก-บินตก-8-696x522.jpg

The plane crash that killed Squadron Leader Krerkkiat Suwannno, 36, Tuesday in Tak.

TAK — An air force officer died after ejecting from his plane Tuesday while his co-pilot survived the impact.

Squadron Leader Kroekkiat Suwanno, 36, was found hanging from his parachute in a tree after his jet crashed onto the Bhumibol Dam Golf Course in the Sam Ngao district of Tak province. His co-pilot, Group Capt. Jirasak Namwongtri, 42, survived.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/05/22/air-force-trainer-goes-down-at-bhumibol-dam-1-dead/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-5-22
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, shady86 said:

So ejecting is more dangerous than staying on crashing plane. Interesting...

To found out whether that would be true or not, you would have to take into account more than just one incident

• Like 2

Trainer jet crashes onto Tak golf course, co-pilot badly hurt

By The Nation

87f3c24aa4b3b272e32bea05d207f532.jpeg

One pilot was killed and another seriously injured when a military training jet crashed on to a golf course near Tak’s Bhumibol Dam on Tuesday afternoon.

Following a report of a plane crash at 2.30pm, Sam Ngao district police rushed to the scene along with fire engines. 

They found wreckage of the aircraft strewn in the branches of a tree and across the ground at the golf course. 

945bdf2eb2c0cc8be904c21acd3b2d8e.jpeg

Rescue workers found first pilot Group Captain Jirasak Ngamwongsri lying seriously injured on the ground, while co-pilot Squadron Leader Krerkkiat Suwanno was pronounced dead after being taken down from a tree. 

712021f20ecd4a6667b2ab72f30c35ef.jpeg

The jet aircraft flew from the Takhlee Base in Nakhon Sawan and was passing over Tak to join others at the Wing 41 Base in Chiang Mai. 

It descended rapidly after passing over the dam and pilots battled to regain height before it crashed into a tree and burst into flames, according to an eyewitness on the ground. 

99e346c969aa13ec22a56a7ae1ab9f5d.jpeg

An investigation into the crash has begun.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346039

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-5-22

8 minutes ago, bangrak said:

What type of plane, please? In dotation since yyyy in the RTAF? Mission order for the flight? Airbase of origin and of destination?

I know nothing about military aircraft - but in the Thai language part of the OP there is an aircraft code  L 39 ZA/ART.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=436

6 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

... The unfortunately named Albatross is one of the most common training aircraft in the world, used by over 40 countries ...

This is a tragedy for the family and colleagues of the two men, so I mean no offence  - but I just realised the irony of the aircraft name.

Normally, on a golf course, an Albatross would be something to celebrate (a score of 3 under par on a single hole).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shady86 said:

So ejecting is more dangerous than staying on crashing plane. Interesting...

No.

Landing by parachute in trees is very dangerous and the co-pilot got lucky.

A simplistic answer to an even more simplistic, ill informed comment which took no regard of the specific circumstances of the fatality/survival.

10 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

Why would two high ranking officers be flying together in a trainer? Surely they both already had a pilot's licence.

No indication that instruction was taking place.

They were on a point to point liaison flight...... "to join others at the Wing 41 Base in Chiang Mai". 

One was the driver, the other the "hitcher".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Psimbo said:

What does the crash of a military aircraft have to do with civil carriers like Air Asia setting up a maintenance hub?

The common factor is aircraft maintenance. I don't want to speculate on the rest.

• Like 1

The L39 was the jet that tbe thai military had decommisioned ....why was it being flown?

the thai military recently bought T50 new jet trainers from South Korea. 

Im not sure the L39 had new israeli air systems. Elbit of israel is doing much business w Thailand for example in truck based 155mm howitzers and other equiptment. 

12 hours ago, bangrak said:

It depends 'a bit' of the conditions of the ejection, first of being the distance above ground, second the orientation of the airplane (side, upside-down...?), third the time before the crash. On top of it all, it is crucial that the airplane, it's safety equipment, and Nr.1 its ejecting system devices would be perfectly maintained...

Distance above ground????? 

The ejection system works from ground as well

13 hours ago, bangrak said:

What type of plane, please? In dotation since yyyy in the RTAF? Mission order for the flight? Airbase of origin and of destination?

..maybe restricted information until air-crash investigators have finished their examination...hmm..RIP

A lot of conjecture as to why they didn't eject. The fact the parachute is deployed in the photo (and that one pilot survived the jet crash) indicates to me they did eject. Possibly too late (which wouldn't be surprising if they were flying at low level) and certainly bodies arriving at the same place as the wreckage.

16 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

Why would two high ranking officers be flying together in a trainer? Surely they both already had a pilot's licence.

Squadron leader rank is about the lowest grade to get in a plane. Understand that GC here is like a sergeant anywhere west of 50E.

Got this picture from my archive pictures;

image.jpeg.ffee3aa73ffd050ec54f5d20b33b12d0.jpeg

Which reminds me a little of the older USA Lockheed Star fighter;

Lockheed XF-104 (modified).jpg

The first being subsonic and the latter being supersonic.

Sad but it does happen sometimes. My condolences to the family and I hope the survivour recovers.