Oops! Thai man impersonating Big Joke faces serious trouble

snoop1130

Oops! Thai man impersonating Big Joke faces serious trouble

10.png

A Thai man who impersonated the highest profile cop in the Thai news clearly bit off far more than he could chew.

Phaijit Saiya was arrested yesterday as he was using the Line application in his apartment impersonating none other than deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal.

The Maj Gen is universally known by his affectionate moniker of "Big Joke" after a string of high profile busts over the last 8 months since his rise up the ranks. He is always in the news for one reason or another but now he is the victim of crime himself. 

Phaijit started impersonating Surachet in 2016 before he was famous. He was buying and selling police positions to cops who wanted to rise up the ranks and were willing to pay.

The first person he conned gave him 1,000,000 baht. This spurred him on to try and get more especially in September when policemen retire and reshuffles are common.

Subsequently he ripped off a further five middle to high ranking officers using Surachet's name on Line getting a total of 4,210,000 baht out of the six officers.

Surachet told Channel 7 that the suspect used to work as security personnel at a company owned by a policeman. There he honed his abilities in contacting and understanding the working of the police.

Phaijit has been charged with fraud and acting under false pretenses in impersonating a policeman. 

Source: http://news.ch7.com/detail/287006

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-5-22

8 minutes ago, cgphuket said:

Anyone else see the fundamental concern with these monkeys paying 1,000,000 for a job that pays 17,000 a month? 

Oh we all see it. The Thai people see it, the government see it, everybody sees it.

The corruption (not only in the police, but very obvious there) is brazen and effectively unchallenged. When this fellow is tried and sentenced it will be yet another example of this corruption being acknowledged and accepted.

9 minutes ago, Darcula said:

So, Big Joke was not present for this important arrest?

I read somewhere else that the first crooked cop to pay money got a promotion, but this was just a coincidence because the promoted officer was actually promoted on merit. 

The irony that an officer promoted on merit actually thought he bought his position. The whole thing stinks. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Darcula said:

So, Big Joke was not present for this important arrest?

He was probably worried they would arrest the wrong man.

I can see it now, as Phaijit gets Big Joke sent to prison for ten years for impersonating himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

More than likely just wants his percentage for the gains..
Another highlight of how entrenched the corruption is here. The buying of positions is not even the main story, its the use of a main name and more than likely more to do with people who should know better losing face for falling for this...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

There he honed his abilities in contacting and understanding the working of the police.

It must be a positive thing that he admitts that the normal work of the police is to buy their ranks. 

8 hours ago, cgphuket said:

Gotta love it.  No problem with paying bribes to secure positions in which you can get your own bribes from the public.   Only problem is bribe money went to the wrong man. Anyone else see the fundamental concern with these monkeys paying 1,000,000 for a job that pays 17,000 a month?     A criminal ripping off criminals.   Sounds like Thai karma to me.

yes, i sincerely hope these police bribes to a supposedly police higher up

in the pecking order gets dissected by thai media,

on a yearly basis actually.

we the people of frozen nuts have a common enemy with the people of thailand here

Edited by poanoi

6 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

From Bangkok Post:

I see in the newspaper we can't mention, the accused claimed the police had offered the bribes themselves, he didn't ask for them.

He was charged with fraud and computer crime. I would have thought he was using his initiative, as he knows how the promotion system works.

15 hours ago, Cadbury said:

So what's unusual about that. This happens all the time in the civil service, the RTP, the military, the education system and just about any department you care to nominate. How do generals without brains get to be generals?

Would this put Thailand in first place as "The most lucrative of police positions" in the world ? That is compared to  their actual salary  as to their actual worth.

40 years ago a friend of mine paid the police 100,000 baht to get her son into the police academy .Thats a lot of money back then to start as a brown envelope currier to be worth several years later in the millions of baht.

14 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

More than likely just wants his percentage for the gains..
Another highlight of how entrenched the corruption is here. The buying of positions is not even the main story, its the use of a main name and more than likely more to do with people who should know better losing face for falling for this...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Buying positions is indeed - and by far - the biggest part of the story and it goes totally unnoticed

While it exposes the systematic corruption of the system, it is just mentioned as a mere circumstantial fact

It should lead to a huge uproar but all we see is a deafening silence

Deeply disturbing even if, sadly, nobody's surprised anymore

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cgphuket said:

Gotta love it.  No problem with paying bribes to secure positions in which you can get your own bribes from the public.   Only problem is bribe money went to the wrong man. Anyone else see the fundamental concern with these monkeys paying 1,000,000 for a job that pays 17,000 a month?     A criminal ripping off criminals.   Sounds like Thai karma to me.

Its not the wages they were paying to get, but the position

Which will put them in a better spot to receive bribes and other payments that would probably be worth more than their wages

yes its in all spectrums of life here,  a lady i had not seen for 2 years recently got in touch, she now works for a well known insurance company, she asked me for money to *sponsor* her, (what was in it for me) ? as she had to pay the office manager, a bribe, to get a better position, how sad is that