Wife joining me to Savannakhet

Hello all, I will be going to Savannakhet to apply for a non immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai, my wife wishes to join me. She has a Thai passport. Can anyone advise what she needs to get across the border into Laos.....border pass, Laos visa? And where she can obtain a border pass and at what cost. Thanks in advance.

If your wife has a Thai passport, just use that. If she is entering using her Thai identity card, she can get a three day temporary border pass from an office next toThai immigration at the Friendship Bridge 2. There are small payments to be made on both the Thai and Lao sides (in addition to the bus fare). [This was correct a few years ago, and I can see no reason why anything would have changed.]

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If your wife has a Thai passport, just use that. If she is entering using her Thai identity card, she can get a three day temporary border pass from an office next toThai immigration at the Friendship Bridge 2. There are small payments to be made on both the Thai and Lao sides (in addition to the bus fare). [This was correct a few years ago, and I can see no reason why anything would have changed.]

Thanks for the info. Do you know if she has to get a Laos visa? Normally this costs me around 1300 baht. I don't know if Thais need to get one and if so, the cost.

7 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Thanks for the info. Do you know if she has to get a Laos visa? Normally this costs me around 1300 baht. I don't know if Thais need to get one and if so, the cost.

Thai citizen do not need a visa into Laos. Only pasport and few Bath paid by my wife about 20 or 30THB were asked from Laos immi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Thailand and Laos are members of  ASEAN pact.

If this is up to date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Thai_citizens#/media/File:Visa_requirements_for_Thai_citizens.png

There is no overall agreement for visas and entry for ASEAN countries. It is done by a bilateral agreement while others allow a standard visa exempt entry. For Laos it is a bilateral agreement between Thailand and Laos that allows a 30 day visa exempt entry.

I suspect the wiki list is as up to date as any other one you can find.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

Thanks for the info everyone. Just a side note, if her 8 year old son joins us, can he also come across to Laos? He has a Thai id card, no passport. If he requires a border pass can this be obtained right at the border?

He will need to apply for a border pass and pay the fee for it.

At Savannakhet the office to get it is located just before the bridge on the left. 

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He will need to apply for a border pass and pay the fee for it.

At Savannakhet the office to get it is located just before the bridge on the left. 

Thanks v much. Is that the office where the Laos visas are applied for? Right next to the immigration counters?

20 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Thanks v much. Is that the office where the Laos visas are applied for? Right next to the immigration counters?

No

It is before Thai immigration not on the Lao side of the bridge.