Landlords petition Prayut to kill new tenant protections

webfact

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Boo hoo! The poor landlords.

There's another option. The landlords can take it out of their profits, and take a reduced cut... and call it the price of doing business.

You can bet your bottom dollar they already have their rent at maximum levels, so adding it on to the rent will push their rents too high and make them unrentable.

Who's saying they're making a profit?

2 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

those who have big loans to pay are not..but what the shoot yourself in the footers don't seem to realize is it is better to have a customer for life than one time...and when you do underhanded crap, they are a lot less likely to return.  Look at the many golf courses on the brink of failure.  Business slow?  Raise fees?  Low season?  No promos.  The crocs are waiting to move back in, as soon as the sharks starve themselves out of business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassosa said:

Who cares. If they don't have the chops to make a profit because they don't have the skills to run a successful business, then sell up and stop crying and blaming new government regulations for their problems... however, we're talking about people of means who own 5 or more rental units. Save your sympathy for people who need it. People don't usually keep buying more apartments if they're not making money.

On 5/28/2018 at 3:50 PM, Bassosa said:

It's a silly law.

Landlords should be able to charge whatever costs at whatever rates as long as the tenant is aware of them and has agreed to them.

It's a free market. Overcharging landlords will quickly find their properties empty, wouldn't they?

A free market and free choice is a beautiful thing.

Don't like it? Move out. Don't act like you're a victim.

the electric extra charge is a sneaky charge,

that should be whipped away for a more transparent cost

9 hours ago, tropo said:

Who cares. If they don't have the chops to make a profit because they don't have the skills to run a successful business, then sell up and stop crying and blaming new government regulations for their problems... however, we're talking about people of means who own 5 or more rental units. Save your sympathy for people who need it. People don't usually keep buying more apartments if they're not making money.

My comment was intended to highlight the fact that It's lazy to divide people in the have and have-nots. Investers with 5+ units can struggle too, are faced with severe risks, are at the mercy of lenders, have to pay serious bills etc etc.

See what's happening now. Landlords will get their monies regardless of populist measures taken by an inept government and more power to them. Slap on a few fees here and there and voila, earnings are back to normal. They can structure their pricing whichever way they want as long as it's transparent. I think there are consumer protection laws to safeguard that transparency and that's where it should be left at.

On 5/28/2018 at 3:02 PM, smedly said:

have to agree, the billing cycle is different   :violin:

what a complete pile of nonsense - if it really bothers them that much then alter the dates so they are aligned 

yeah really difficult to check the meter themself and calculate the bill at any point in the month

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2018 at 3:50 PM, Bassosa said:

It's a silly law.

Landlords should be able to charge whatever costs at whatever rates as long as the tenant is aware of them and has agreed to them.

It's a free market. Overcharging landlords will quickly find their properties empty, wouldn't they?

A free market and free choice is a beautiful thing.

Don't like it? Move out. Don't act like you're a victim.

No!!! This is not right. This law is what it is "a consumer protection law".

A fair landlord will charge the normal fees for water and electric. They maybe charge a higher rent. And this is ok and will regulate the FREE MARKET on the same way.

But to charge higher fees on electric and water is an extra profit for the landlords and in my eyes nothing other as tax evasion. Same as key money!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

No!!! This is not right. This law is what it is "a consumer protection law".

A fair landlord will charge the normal fees for water and electric. They maybe charge a higher rent. And this is ok and will regulate the FREE MARKET on the same way.

But to charge higher fees on electric and water is an extra profit for the landlords and in my eyes nothing other as tax evasion. Same as key money!!!

Raising rents is also extra profit for the landlords.

• Sad 1

On 5/28/2018 at 4:28 PM, ChrisY1 said:

No-one here accepts change......rules for landlords is a normal procedure and here in Thailand, tenants need all the help they can get!

Trying to get Thailand into the 21st century is an almost impossible task....as for Thailand 4.0....forget it!

The truth is nobody is enforcing these so called laws LOL

Especially if your a farang..Waste of time. Nobody cares.

2 minutes ago, Media1 said:

The truth is nobody is enforcing these so called laws LOL

Especially if your a farang..Waste of time. Nobody cares.

There are many reports of compliance.  I saved 6%+ on my May bill...even with the new service charge.

'The maximum that can now be charged is 6 baht per unit, i.e., normal price plus 20%. More than that, and the landlord can be fined 100 000 baht or go to prison for 1 year.'

Where did you get the 6 baht from?

Edited by imjmn

36 minutes ago, moontang said:

There are many reports of compliance.  I saved 6%+ on my May bill...even with the new service charge.

ok my gf contacted thr hotline re a fake meter and big bill. She was diverted to various departments in Chonburi. Condo 4.90 electric and 33 baht water . l think it's a BKK thing only. Nonetheless a lazy hotline.

58 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

But they must pay tax for it. The hidden fees income fall under the table. ?

This is the onliest reason why they charge it.

5 hours ago, moontang said:
5 hours ago, Bassosa said:

assuming they are still able to fill the units.

I can't believe people even write this stuff. Guaranteed most landlords already have their rent as high as the market will bear. They are not altruistic beings trying to give everyone cheap accommodation. 

7 hours ago, Bassosa said:

My comment was intended to highlight the fact that It's lazy to divide people in the have and have-nots. Investers with 5+ units can struggle too, are faced with severe risks, are at the mercy of lenders, have to pay serious bills etc etc.

It's not lazy at all. If landlords who own 5+ units can't make any money, for goodness sake - sell out. They're obviously in the wrong business. I don't need to hear them crying about how they can't pad electric bills etc to make unethical profits.

6 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Yes!!! So what is the problem???

Oh, I forget: "They must pay tax for the extra income".  Or what reasons give it more to hide this payments?

Also a lot of people not rent the place if they know they have to pay 1.000-2.000 more every month. 

52 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Oh, I forget: "They must pay tax for the extra income".  Or what reasons give it more to hide this payments?

Also a lot of people not rent the place if they know they have to pay 1.000-2.000 more every month. 

Price elasticity is something rarely understood here.  With the large supply, prices could prove to be inelastic, meaning less revenue at a higher price, due to more vacancies.  They will also do things like have a separate fee for furniture rental as another way to dilute rental income.  I bought a 449 THB plane ticket the other day....with no add -,ons it still cost me 532.50, but I can live with that, and I think the government had to crack down on them, too, because it used to be far worse.  ALL in Fare now, is their slogan...well almost, but at least it includes mandatory taxes.  This stuff has been going on for decades....I think FORD got in trouble for the 1999.00 Pinto.  The FTC determined that no one had ever even come close to paying that little, and for that price you maybe didn't get tires....so now you get three hundred words too small to read at the bottom of the screen.  But, the consumer wants and deserves truth in pricing and advertising.  Yes, everyone agreed to the terms, but my experience is most don't have a clue about per unit cost where they are from...it is always..x per month, etc..Many have never used aircon, let alone been in a place, where it could be life or death...So it is very foreigner friendly of the PM to enforce this, and for that he gets a  thank you from me.  There are bound to be some economic benefits, too, with more money in the working class's pocket, without any ridiculous  farm support plan, or promises for free stuff....just a chance to save by conserving water, (138 first month for me) and stay a bit more comfortable.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

This profit thinking here is very crazy. I am a big Aliexpress Shopper for years now. Almost everything from the some hundred products what I bought in the last 10 years was around 50-170% cheaper to buy in China (include shipping cost) as in Thailand. And I got the normal consumer prices. So I can say that the most shops here, who get wholesale prices, charges  around 250% and more profit on their buying prices. Unbelievable.

Just Lazada made it a lot cheaper here. But it's still 20-30% more expensive as on Aliexpress. 

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

I'm not a landlord, but I'll bet hiding rental income with overblown expenses would be really easy here.

But as you correctly pointed out - if they want to keep their apartments rented, they'll have to price their rentals appropriately. Just one or two months vacant will teach them a valuable lesson in economics.

Many Thais are incapable of learning a 'valuable lesson in economics'.

Seen places for rent being empty for years and the rental prices even go up.

Doesn't make any sense, unless of course (obvious isn't it!) the owners are super rich and they do not even notice the loss of rent. They are just putting their money in real estate instead of a savings account and just wait until that spot is rising in price. If it is not for this generation , then the next. Condo's have this problem too. Condos' empty for years and no service costs paid. They just don't care.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 7:03 PM, tropo said:

I'm not a landlord, but I'll bet hiding rental income with overblown expenses would be really easy here.

But as you correctly pointed out - if they want to keep their apartments rented, they'll have to price their rentals appropriately. Just one or two months vacant will teach them a valuable lesson in economics.

for many it doesnt, the condos are  just some place to hide  money.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Khun Jean said:

Many Thais are incapable of learning a 'valuable lesson in economics'.

Seen places for rent being empty for years and the rental prices even go up.

Doesn't make any sense, unless of course (obvious isn't it!) the owners are super rich and they do not even notice the loss of rent. They are just putting their money in real estate instead of a savings account and just wait until that spot is rising in price. If it is not for this generation , then the next. Condo's have this problem too. Condos' empty for years and no service costs paid. They just don't care.

Finally someone with some actual real world experience, despite mentioning my Wife deals with this sort of crap all day everyday on here  some people  really have "no idea" of whats going on in the market or what some owners are  like and come to think of it what many tenants are  like.

Crazy things like tenant asks for a 2 year contract and the owners say "no" despite their unit being empty for a year or more.........unfreakin believable at times.

You also have the other type of  Thai owner, incredibly rich and incredibly  kind  who let units out very cheaply ( not  many but there are some) they leave everything for my Wife to do and nothing is a problem for them as long as they dont have to get involved and can pass anything onto her, others who wont fix a broken aircon when they know a tenant is starting in a  few  days!!

Thai business lesson 101!!

22 minutes ago, kannot said:

Finally someone with some actual real world experience, despite mentioning my Wife deals with this sort of crap all day everyday on here  some people  really have "no idea" of whats going on in the market or what some owners are  like and come to think of it what many tenants are  like.

Crazy things like tenant asks for a 2 year contract and the owners say "no" despite their unit being empty for a year or more.........unfreakin believable at times.

You also have the other type of  Thai owner, incredibly rich and incredibly  kind  who let units out very cheaply ( not  many but there are some) they leave everything for my Wife to do and nothing is a problem for them as long as they dont have to get involved and can pass anything onto her, others who wont fix a broken aircon when they know a tenant is starting in a  few  days!!

Thai business lesson 101!!

In this thread, we are mainly discussing landlords that are crying about the new rules. That wouldn't include wealthy Thais that own many units and don't care if they are rented or not. They couldn't care less about any rules.

• Haha 1

Furnished units 2 months deposit is the bare minimum. Example:

a person rents a 1 bedroom unit and signs a 2 year deal for only 12,000 bht very low price cause its a long term contract now he says after 3 months that he will move out. So he has only rented it for 3 months but the Monthly rent price is 18,000 a Month. So how does the landlord gets his 3x 6000 bht ? plus the outstanding water and electricity?

Edited by Destiny1990

Tenant protections are a joke. My Thai-Chinese landlady tacks on a 200 baht charge for nearly everything. She can't pad the utility bill because it is issued by the condo, but she TRIES. The Thais believe they have the right to whatever they can gouge out of you. The limits on deposits and the like will be ignored. I won't even try because angering people with influence is dangerous here. Best to submit if you are financially able to do so.

It gets tiring. There are always two parties. If you don't like the contract go somewhere else. There are thousands available. An dyes, there are good owners. I rent all the time (last 20 years) and have had zero problems. Just pick the good ones who don't add silly things to the contracts. You can spot them easily.