Pajero (Montero) Sport - Vibration issue?

A friend in Dubai has just bought a new Montero Sport (Pajero Sport Diesel - made in Thailand), and she experienced a serious 'judder'  or vibration.  The dealer has said this is a known problem due to an excessively hard engine mount.

I've not heard of any issues with the latest model Pajero Sport in Thailand, and there's loads of them on the roads here?   I thought it was a pretty solid model with no inherent issues?

Anyone experienced a similar vibration/judder issue, or had an engine mount replaced on their Pajero Sport? 

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Need more info, is it there all the time, does it disappear at a particular speed, does it disappear when not under power (cruising), just on pulling away from a standstill....?

Judder when pulling away, and when engine is under load.  Can be felt through steering wheel and seat.  In 2WD and 4WD.  She thought it was a transmission issue - but was told it was an engine mount.

Update - she says it's most noticeable driving at 40 mph - serious vibration at this speed.   My mistake - she said NOT when pulling away.  

Edited by Familyonthemove

1 minute ago, Familyonthemove said:

Judder when pulling away, and when engine is under load.  Can be felt through steering wheel and seat.  In 2WD and 4WD.  She thought it was a transmission issue - but was told it was an engine mount.

Hmmm, that stuff usually happens with a failed engine or gearbox mount..Seems they are on the right track though...Is it auto..?

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Hmmm, that stuff usually happens with a failed engine or gearbox mount..Seems they are on the right track though...Is it auto..?

Yes.  Auto.   Says she has the same issue in auto mode or when using the manual paddles

5 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

Yes.  Auto.   Says she has the same issue in auto mode or when using the manual paddles

OK, if it were a clutched manual a soft mount would show her problem. I know of rides with solid mounts that cause no vibes...To me it sounds like a failed mount...

The other thing that can cause that ploblem is if it has a "split" drive shaft, which means it has two halves, where they join the assembly is bolted to the floor, if there is something wrong there it will make her ploblem...I have the T-shirt for that one....?

55 minutes ago, transam said:

The other thing that can cause that ploblem is if it has a "split" drive shaft, which means it has two halves, where they join the assembly is bolted to the floor, if there is something wrong there it will make her ploblem...I have the T-shirt for that one....?

Thanks - yes - that would explain why she can feel the vibration through the floor.  Perhaps an out of balance prop shaft combined with a dodgy mount.  Would the mounting for the link in the split prop shaft have a rubber bushing?

1 minute ago, Familyonthemove said:

Thanks - yes - that would explain why she can feel the vibration through the floor.  Perhaps an out of balance prop shaft combined with a dodgy mount.  Would the mounting for the link in the split prop shaft have a rubber bushing?

Indeed it has....On two rides I spaced the mounting just perhaps 8cm which solved it...Perhaps her new ride the mounting has come loose, could be as simple as that...

• Thanks 1