3BB optic fibre cable

keith101

Our street has had optic fibre cable installed and was wondering do i have to use 3BB to install to house or can i use another provider such as AIS which has a better deal .

Yes, the ISP will need to install.  They run fiber into the house.  I am very happy with 3bb customer service.  I have the 200 Mbps package.  Make sure you use at least CAT 6 cable for any devices connected via Ethernet cable.  A CAT 5e will limit your speed to 100 Mbps.  You will also need a router that supports 5 Ghz band in order to get the 200 Mbps over WiFi.  Just recently, 3bb now has modem/routers that have 5 Ghz band.  But you have to ask for it if they don't offer it to you.  Otherwise, you will not get the 200  Mbps speed when using the 2.4 Ghz band.

As being discussed on the forum in another thread, my recommendation is to place the ISP supplied modem/router in Bridge mode and use your own Router.  I recommend the Asus AC86U for most people.  It has many features, including the ability to block ads http://ab-solution.info/. 

Thanks Xentrik so i have to use 3BB to install no problem . I don't really need that much speed 100/30 is more than enough for what i do , currently using a Huawei Wi-Fi which gives me 6mb download and up to 13 mb upload on occasions .

Fibre optic cable you're seeing installed belongs to a specific provider, sometimes you can see the drum labelled with a shipping instructions specifying the provider, other times the truck is labelled, failing that send the wife to ask the lads which company they are from. It may not be 3BB, it could be AIS or TOT or True. However  3BB fibre optic is generally good - consistent performance but outages can last several hours long though when they do occur.  Cat6 cable is available from JIB (in nearly all shopping centres) in 10m and 20m for very cheap. On 3BB it's 1200+vat for 200/100mb or 900+vat for 100/30mb per month plus I think 2000 deposit.  

16 minutes ago, keith101 said:

It was definitely 3BB so am going to contact them as soon as my next Pension comes in to get a quote in writing of course so no misunderstanding ,

I was having problems with instability so I changed to fibre optic, but it hasn't made any difference: just drops to near zero download/upload from time to time for 5 mins. to an hour.

I'm in the country in Uttaradit province with only a few others around me using fibre optic as most people around prefer using the mobile phone for wi-fi so don't see any chance of to many others overloading causing problems like in the big cities .

7 minutes ago, keith101 said:

I'm in the country in Uttaradit province with only a few others around me using fibre optic as most people around prefer using the mobile phone for wi-fi so don't see any chance of to many others overloading causing problems like in the big cities .

My guess would be if you are having a problem now, you will be having it even if you install fibre optic. If you aren't having a problem then no need to change.

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

My guess would be if you are having a problem now, you will be having it even if you install fibre optic. If you aren't having a problem then no need to change.

No trouble just interested in better internet and a bit faster , i currently have unlimited wi-fi with AIS works and very rarely goes under 5 mb download speed enough to watch Netflix without stopping .

CAT5E is good up to 1000Mb speed....just like CAT6.    However, the "frequency response" of CAT5E is a minimum of 100Mhz where CAT6 is 250Mhz.  Don't confuse Mb transfer speed with MHz frequency response capabilities.....two different animals.   

Heck, I have an AIS Fibre 200Mb speed plan using a 25 meter long CAT5E cable...passes along that 200Mb speed just fine.  

But if buying new, go with CAT6 since it has slightly better specs.

image.png.a7143664ec7045a3d9d4cd8f2e9519b5.png

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

No trouble just interested in better internet and a bit faster , i currently have unlimited wi-fi with AIS works and very rarely goes under 5 mb download speed enough to watch Netflix without stopping .

Can only give my honest opinion about 3bb- you may well be swapping something good for something that is not good some of the time.

10 hours ago, Xentrk said:

Yes, the ISP will need to install.  They run fiber into the house.  I am very happy with 3bb customer service.  I have the 200 Mbps package.  Make sure you use at least CAT 6 cable for any devices connected via Ethernet cable.  A CAT 5e will limit your speed to 100 Mbps.  You will also need a router that supports 5 Ghz band in order to get the 200 Mbps over WiFi.  Just recently, 3bb now has modem/routers that have 5 Ghz band.  But you have to ask for it if they don't offer it to you.  Otherwise, you will not get the 200  Mbps speed when using the 2.4 Ghz band.

As being discussed on the forum in another thread, my recommendation is to place the ISP supplied modem/router in Bridge mode and use your own Router.  I recommend the Asus AC86U for most people.  It has many features, including the ability to block ads http://ab-solution.info/. 

I have the cheaper 100/30 package in Phuket. My speed test results are usually 95/32. I use their supplied Wifi router.

I was very impressed by the installers. My computer room is at the farthest point in the house from the street and I wanted the cable to come down in the corner farthest away from the street.

They tried for ages up in the roof space trying to find the stiff wire that was poked through the ceiling in the corner of the room. Eventually they realised it was hidden below a massive concrete structure, so they went on to the roof, removed some tiles and located the end of the wire that way. After that, all went well. I gave them a good tip. :)

re. the Asus AC86U: I like the ad-blocking feature as I still get that annoying message even though Ad-Block is off and I get the adverts:

350227003_Ad-BlockingSWDetected.jpg.661925fb38463c168aff854670f55342.jpg

Archived