Netflix, a Disaster.

NoshowJones

On 6/1/2018 at 9:19 AM, possum1931 said:

I have to turn my VPN off or Netflix does not work at all.

You said you are viewing on a computer. I assume you are streaming from Netflix Thailand. Are you connecting through the Netflix App? Netflix's App has your actual location identifier built in that can block VPN users.  If the App knows you are in Thailand but your VPN shows otherwise it won't work. I don't use their App and I stream Netflix US without issues using a proxy.

13 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

You said you are viewing on a computer. I assume you are streaming from Netflix Thailand. Are you connecting through the Netflix App? Netflix's App has your actual location identifier built in that can block VPN users.  If the App knows you are in Thailand but your VPN shows otherwise it won't work. I don't use their App and I stream Netflix US without issues using a proxy.

I am not connecting through an app. I don't know enough about VPNs to use them. There are so many things you can do with computers, so I just learn the things I am interested in. If I find out a VPN will be an advantage to me, then I will try and learn how to use it.

39 minutes ago, johng said:

No, but settings will change how the TV/monitor displays the movie, often you can zoom in to drastically reduce black bars at top and bottom...with some loss of left/right "wideness"

So zooming in to reduce upper and lower spaces and reducing picture width is your solution.  Why not just cover the black areas with white paper or not watch a formatted movie.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:09 AM, possum1931 said:

Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid I know nothing about VPNs, and my biggest problem with Netflix is most of their movies only covers about two thirds of the screen, and they have admitted to me through their chatline that there is nothing that they can do about it.

I watch Netflix regularly and there are some that are formatted to the dimensions your complaining about but from my experience probably less than 10%.  Some older theater screens not designed for wide format films also project the movie the same way.  Also, Netflix search feature works like Google or Spell Check.  As you type it displays a list of titles beginning with the first letter you type and after each additional letter typed it shortens the list. 

So zooming in to reduce upper and lower spaces and reducing picture width is your solution.  Why not just cover the black areas with white paper or not watch a formatted movie.
Yes zooming is a solution,I don't mind a small amount of black bar..but when it takes a 1/4 of your screen its not enjoyable to watch.

What's your solution
a 2.39:1 aspect ratio screen ?

28 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

I watch Netflix regularly and there are some that are formatted to the dimensions your complaining about but from my experience probably less than 10%.  Some older theater screens not designed for wide format films also project the movie the same way.  Also, Netflix search feature works like Google or Spell Check.  As you type it displays a list of titles beginning with the first letter you type and after each additional letter typed it shortens the list. 

I'll take that on board, thanks a lot.

22 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes zooming is a solution,I don't mind a small amount of black bar..but when it takes a 1/4 of your screen its not enjoyable to watch.

What's your solution
a 2.39:1 aspect ratio screen ?

I don't need a solution because I'm not complaining about Netflix's formatted movies, search features, or being unable to watch the last season of some Hallmark Channel produced series.  

3 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

I use the Netflix app with my VPN and have no problem at all.  I use it on Android and PC.

Edited by Rarebear

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

Or you could download the Chrome app.

Edited by Rarebear

I don't need a solution because I'm not complaining about Netflix's formatted movies, search features, or being unable to watch the last season of some Hallmark Channel produced series.  
Nor am I

46 minutes ago, johng said:
1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

Nor am I

Which would you rather watch?

format.png

Regarding Netflix, the current video library is very limited and lackluster monthly updates. Regarding VPN and Netflix, Netflix blocks VPN access outside the U.S.A. .

Netflix is evolving, but not outside the U.S.A..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, Motown239 said:

Regarding Netflix, the current video library is very limited and lackluster monthly updates. Regarding VPN and Netflix, Netflix blocks VPN access outside the U.S.A. .

Many of Netflix's movies are in 4k.  There is about 15,000 titles available currently and dozens of new ones every month.  Good production standards as they make a lot of their own.  I've lived in Thailand for many years and watch USA  content from here with no problem.  My wife likes them because of the Thai subtitles so we can watch a lot of movies together in 4k and 5.1 sound. The skin detail is so good you can see if an actor has pimples. 

11 hours ago, Motown239 said:

I live in Thailand and stream Netflix from the US servers multiple times a week.  The proxy I have been using for over 1 year has never been detected or blocked.

On 5/30/2018 at 3:53 PM, possum1931 said:

It's not a TV, it is a computer, and on the chatline I was told they could not do anything about the screen for the movies or cancel the TV series I have finished. They are just a dead loss.

I watch it on my IPad and have zero problems. My guess it is an issue with your computer. There must be some way to adjust the video screen on your computer. I doubt Netflix came into Thailand and used the size that exactly fits only tablets. 

4 hours ago, Old Man River said:

I watch it on my IPad and have zero problems. My guess it is an issue with your computer. There must be some way to adjust the video screen on your computer. I doubt Netflix came into Thailand and used the size that exactly fits only tablets. 

Yes they did, I have been told i need an ultra wide screen.

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes they did, I have been told i need an ultra wide screen.

Who told you that? You only need to know how to use your monitor. The app above will give you some information about what is playing and you use settings on your monitor and computer to adjust the format.

Edited by Rarebear

9 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Who told you that? You only need to know how to use your monitor. The app above will give you some information about what is playing and you use settings on your monitor and computer to adjust the format.

That's great, thanks again.