Thailand aims to increase milk consumption to 25 liters per head per year

webfact

4 hours ago, kickstart said:

Dairy cows in Thai are all home bred see post #51.

25 years ago some crossbreeds where imported from New Zealand, Sahiwal x  Friesian, the idea was finding cattle less heat tolerant, and more resistant to tick fever. then locally produced Friesian semen was put on these cows, giving a 75% Friesian cow, that could tolerate Thai conditions.

I didn't type the quoted comment.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:37 PM, Basil B said:

If Thais were meant to drink milk Thai women would have bigger breasts... ?

Tell them that drinking lots of white milk will turn their skin white. Milk consumption problem (if it is a problem) will be solved!  Hat Tip: The Marching Morons - C.M. Kornbluth

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Yme said:

Most of the milk drunk in Thailand by Thais is by way of milk byproducts such as yogurt, etc. And yes @Thian  Meiji  is real milk. I remember reading a few years ago that the Japanese don't let the Thais touch the milk.

What do you mean by japanese not letting thai touch the milk? What does meiji have to do with Japan anyway? I also don't understand what Dutch mill has to do with the Dutch from Holland?

We drink meiji full fat milk and it's good. Makes good coffee and pancakes/mashed potatoes.

2 hours ago, AntDee said:

I didn't type the quoted comment.

Re do. Thailand does not import dairy cattle, all breeding is done by AI artificial insemination, a lot of semen is imported from the USA, used on Thai dairy cows, then the top performing cows from those   bulls are used for breeding,  Chock Chie have they own breeding program, and also sell semen ,CP do the same, the Thai- Denmark  milk company  have a breeding program ,they are about the bigest  breeders in Thailand. 

The Thai government's  DLD, Department of Livestock Development, have a breeding program, they will AI cow for free, farmers pay the AI man 80 baht for petrol expenses. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 9:32 AM, mfd101 said:

And here was I thinking that Thais - like all other East & SE Asians - are about 80%+ lactose intolerant ...

Certainly my family here have a major yuck factor whenever (about once a fortnight) they see me have a glass of milk or pour some on my muesli (Yuck!), or (about once a month) spread thick butter on my toast (Double Yuck!).

80% intolerant is about right.