Vacant condominium unit owner's responsibilities

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar situation to this, or knows whether there is a regulation regarding the responsibilities of vacant condo owners.

Recently,  the "key holder" (responsible person within the condominium staff)  for the condo below us reported of  water damage to the ceiling in the vacant condo unit below us and that we are responsible for repairs.   This came as a surprise because their was no evidence of any leaking pipes in our bathroom at all.  On close inspection from the room below,  it showed that the leaking pipe was one connecting to  outflow pipe from our bathroom sink that is behind the wall of our bathroom.  I'm not sure how clear that description is, but what I'm saying is that the leaking pipe was not  visible to us at all so we couldn't have known about the leak.

The room below has been vacant for over a year, and had it now been, then the occupiers would have been able to notice the wet patch sooner. Obviously, repairs would have been done immediately and would have been less costly.

The leak was so small that it was no more than a slow drip. It could have taken months to cause the damage it caused, I guess.

We've paid the repair bill, but was just left wondering if such a thing were to happen again with say a pipe in the kitchen, we could be in the same situation of having to pay for repairs for something we knew nothing about.

Do vacant room owners have any responsibility to have their rooms checked periodically, at all?

Many thanks for any advice.

You could ask for a copy of the Condo by-laws and see if there is a specific law/clause relating to maintenance/inspections, owners responsibility etc.

Unattended condos can cause all sorts of problems because the water in the toilet and sink traps eventually evaporates and sewer gas can come in to the condo and then neighbouring condos etc. Birds nest on balconies etc.

Pipes in Condos can be a problem because of the definition of what is inside your condo (usually whats inside your walls, floor etc) or what is common property pipes, If its a drainage pipe and its left your condo, you could argue its common property. Most drainage would run through downstairs ceiling, at that point its often defined as common property..

• Like 1

In my building the main drain and supply pipes are in service areas that are outside the boundaries of the individual chanotes, and these are common property. But the supply to each condo, and the drains from each condo, belong entirely to the co-owner whose unit they serve until they enter the service area. Even when they are in the ceiling area of the unit below.

Given the very small cost (about 2,000-2,500B per 1MB of cover) I find it advisable to take out insurance to cover this sort of problem.

• Like 1

As KittenKong mentions unfortunelty there is not a great deal to do to prevent this in covered piping areas, but make sure that areas you can access are well maintained. As mentioned condo insurance which covers other units from your damage is peanuts, i have no idea why anyone would not do it. (Not saying that you didn't)

Hello, Srinakarin,

It is the one who lives in the area who is responsible for the damage that can happen to his neighbor.
When you see how the work is done by Thais, it is not surprising that there are defects.⚒️
But as advised by another person, take insurance.
It may serve you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/31/2018 at 7:04 PM, KittenKong said:

In my building the main drain and supply pipes are in service areas that are outside the boundaries of the individual chanotes, and these are common property. But the supply to each condo, and the drains from each condo, belong entirely to the co-owner whose unit they serve until they enter the service area. Even when they are in the ceiling area of the unit below.

Given the very small cost (about 2,000-2,500B per 1MB of cover) I find it advisable to take out insurance to cover this sort of problem.

Any company you can recommend here?

32 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Several companies seem to do it for around the same price. You should check the details of the cover before purchasing. Perhaps ask a broker or two?

Much easier as a first step to ask a fellow member on Thaivisa who seems to suggest he has cover to let other members know.  Why won't you say which company it is, do you want to keep your insurer all to yourself?

• Confused 1

Hi all, my condo (4 rooms) is generally vacant the majority of the time and over the years I have had a few ceiling issues which if small and caused by a one off incident I generally fix/paint myself working on the assumption TIT . The only time I involve the neighbour above is if they have had a bathroom/kitchen revamp involving a so called thai plumber which is a guarantee of leaks being boxed up and walked away from . I tell the neighbour its not their responsibility as the problem lies with the plumber so get him back to fix the issue and charge him for any costs involved. I do not know why thai plumbers walk away whilst they know the systems are leaking I can only suspect they are used to dirt/concrete floors where such leaks just drain away over time. I have witnessed a few newly tilled floors that have had to be lifted to repair leaks that have obviously been knowingly boxed up prior to tiling??? If you insure your condo you are in a good position if a disagreement breaks out from neighbours above about costs as you can point out that you would have no problem if your water system had damaged the condo below you. The maintenance techs in my condo automatically assume that whoever owns the leaking pipework is directly/financially responsible for repairs caused to private property or communal property and are backed up by the management team if required. The issue above about drying up toilets is easily dealt with by cling-filming the top of the toilet before the condo is boxed up which will stop the water drying up for a few months and even with no water will seal the toilet, very easy to do and at very low cost. 

Ken.

Edited by cryo

On 5/31/2018 at 6:46 PM, Peterw42 said:

You could ask for a copy of the Condo by-laws and see if there is a specific law/clause relating to maintenance/inspections, owners responsibility etc.

Unattended condos can cause all sorts of problems because the water in the toilet and sink traps eventually evaporates and sewer gas can come in to the condo and then neighbouring condos etc. Birds nest on balconies etc.

Pipes in Condos can be a problem because of the definition of what is inside your condo (usually whats inside your walls, floor etc) or what is common property pipes, If its a drainage pipe and its left your condo, you could argue its common property. Most drainage would run through downstairs ceiling, at that point its often defined as common property..

My condo is vacant about six months a year, I pay the Mgt 300 baht to clean it and run the A/Cs, Water heater once a month.  I also have renters Insurance, for a pittance what it would cost to replace the ceiling in the apartment below you.

Edited by TunnelRat69