Even more Disturbing requests while getting tourist visa (METV) !!!

Have all the embassies and consulates tightened up recently on METV issuing? It seems that way to me that they are.....

Being an Aussie passport holder getting a METV for the past couple of years was super easy in Sydney. Now I was in communication with the consulate and they want these extra things which were never needed before:

1. Copy of an airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand

2. Confirmed reservation of accommodation in Thailand

I've always bought a one-way ticket into Thailand, then I buy a return ticket to and from a neighbouring Asian country within two months into my stay, sometimes staying in the neighbouring Asian country with relatives for a few days. I also extend 30 days at the Thai immigration so I get 90 days before having to fly out. I told her this and she said the permission of stay is for 60 days and I must have a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days. She seemed to really have no idea METV holders can extend for 30 days at immigration as she was saying it was only for SETV holders and I told her I've been doing that for many years!! This seems really stupid if we all need a ticket out of the country within 60 days, when we can extend it for 30 days. Why would they have this stupid rule? Don't they want people extending anymore? Too many foreigners at immigration and they are trying to cut down queues there? lol

Accommodation - I told her I've been renting a condo for many years and if the one page lease renewal is ok. She said that would be ok.

Application Form -  Now they also want the dates and flight numbers of the first entry & exit. They also want it for the 2nd entry & exit, if you have a double entry visa but the only double entry visa is a transit visa. So I don't think it's applicable to METV.

None of these things were required before. Now they are wanting more and more from us.

On that note, is it possible to fly into Thailand on a one-way ticket without a visa, getting the standard 30 day visa exempt stamp then going to immigration to extend for another 30 days? Or will the airline check-in staff stop you if they see you have only a one-way ticket and no visa?

Edited by bbi1

Opinion

I think its going to get a little worse as we go along - the hoops on the new "big" visas are so strict and demanding that the screws must tighten on the "easier" visas (except the visa on arrival). Theres simply so much attention now to the foreign criminal element and visa condition breakers on easy visas that it must get harder IMHO. I wouldn't be surprise if we see in country changing of visa types cancelled as well at some point. Just my opinion on the bigger issue - sad but I believe inevitable.

Edited by MRToMRT
typo

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

What is disturbing about this?

Indeed. To me these two requirements seem legitimate to issue any TV. Proof of travel insurance would be too, as would be proof of stable employment. In my opinion the Thais are only doing their homework here. I remember applying for an METV for the USA in 1979 we had to provide all that, and more.

51 minutes ago, stevenl said:

What is disturbing about this?

It's disturbing that every year the requirements are tightening up more and more. A year ago in Oz there was no need for a METV to have

1. Copy of an airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand

The year before that there was no need for an METV to have any bank account statements showing any bank balances.

Maybe next year they will introduce an extra few things that we will all need to provide, making it harder and harder to get a Visa.

Edited by bbi1

11 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

It's disturbing that every year the requirements are tightening up more and more. A year ago in Oz there was no need for a METV to have

The year before that there was no need for an METV to have any bank account statements showing any bank balances.

Maybe next year they will introduce an extra few things that we will all need to provide, making it harder and harder to get a Visa.

The MFA are learning from the so called Tourists who;

1. Don't stay where indicated on their arrival card.

2. Don't depart before their permission to stay expires.

3. Depart with unpaid medical bills.

Blame the Tourists abusing the system, not the Embassies/Consulates.