Video: "Take me to court" says truck driver after woman ends up in the central reservation

webfact

2 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

I wouldn't have tried doing a left evasive turn. You never know what could be coming in the left lane and no time to check...

assuming I would have been in that situation.

I guess i would have taken it on the left side as the lowest risk.

Its a risk yes, but statistically its the lowest IMHO.

Slamming the breaks you could get someone from behind.

Normally i am aware bout what is behind me but not always, and other morons could easily come slamming into me when i am at a dead stop unable to get away quick enough.

so yep that would be my choice.

1 minute ago, Lampang2 said:

assuming I would have been in that situation.

I guess i would have taken it on the left side as the lowest risk.

Its a risk yes, but statistically its the lowest IMHO.

Slamming the breaks you could get someone from behind.

Normally i am aware bout what is behind me but not always, and other morons could easily come slamming into me when i am at a dead stop unable to get away quick enough.

so yep that would be my choice.

It's a tricky one. Left evasive turn could be catastrophe as could slamming the brakes like you say.

Maybe the best option would have been slamming the brakes and a right evasive turn into the center ditch?

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

I take it the headline should read Center Median, not Central Reservation. That said the truck driver should be made to pay double for wasting the courts time.  

Central  reservation is correct (in the UK).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'm not sure how he can deny responsibility for that? He clearly hasn't bothered to check his mirrors, or he would have seen it was unsafe to make the turn and from what I can see has used no indicators either. This is exactly the sort of idiot that needs to be removed from the roads, as such stupidity and disrespect for other road users makes him super dangerous.

And he was doing the u-turn from the outside/left hand lane. It's like there's no-one else in the entire world. Only MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

seems she had more than enough time to take a bit more evasive action than she did (actually none by the look of it), it was obvious the truck was changing lanes well ahead of her given enough time to start changing lanes, although it appears she had her foot pretty hard onto the go fast pedal and probably not paying full attention. The truck driver of course is not blameless - looks like no blinkers and he should have been a lot further into the right hand lane well before the turn.

But TIT - it will all be worked out - someone will pay , wai and everything will be sweet.

You must be watching a different video if you could not see she was braking very hard immediately after the truck started to turn and probably would have stopped in time if the road was dry. If she tried to go behind him she would probably have lost control at that speed. I think she should have slowed up a bit on seeing a very slow truck in front of her as it could have had something crossing the road in front of it or as in this case making some unexpected manoeuvre.

The truck driver is entirely to blame for this crash as it was far from obvious what he was going to do until it was too late.

In the wrong lane to turn right.

No indication.

Did not look to see if it was safe to turn as he was crossing the middle lane from the left lane.

Kept going even though she sounded her horn in plenty of time for him to stop.

If he had got just one of these right the crash could have been avoided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

THE THAIS CAN'T DRIVE.

This is something so obvious that we are all in agreement with so let's move on to more serious matters and not have another 10 pages of how we can potentially fix the problem because it is cultural and they lack the willpower and ability to fix it so save yourself the bother of typing out nonsense. 

You miss the point of having a forum. This is a social forum. People like making commentary even if it is not a controversial issue. people like conversation regardless of how dramatic the topic. Comments lead to brief conversations, and sometimes a worthy thought or two, or a good laugh will result. So, no need to rain on the parade. I would say that if anyone doesn't have anything to contribute to the conversation, fine, then say nothing and don't read any further. There are plenty of topics

• Like 1

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'm not sure how he can deny responsibility for that? He clearly hasn't bothered to check his mirrors, or he would have seen it was unsafe to make the turn and from what I can see has used no indicators either. This is exactly the sort of idiot that needs to be removed from the roads, as such stupidity and disrespect for other road users makes him super dangerous.

cos hes stupid !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

With my reflexes/reactions of a life of driving many motorbikes, it seems to me that I would have tried to pass behind the truck. 

i agree and easy to say looking at the video, in real life i dont think we have time to think we would do, we just react and no one knows how they would react. how many times have we all done something then when we had time to think, we then thought why did i not do this or that.

Edited by catman20
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

Maybe the best option would have been slamming the brakes and a right evasive turn into the center ditch?

Another alternative would have been driving at a sensible speed for the road conditions and paying attention !!

I know, wishful thinking ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Did you count the seconds between the start of the horn blast and the crunch of impact.

And you are saying you could have done better????????????

Brakes first, horn later if there is no other evasive action to be done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chang1 said:

You must be watching a different video if you could not see she was braking very hard immediately after the truck started to turn and probably would have stopped in time if the road was dry. If she tried to go behind him she would probably have lost control at that speed. I think she should have slowed up a bit on seeing a very slow truck in front of her as it could have had something crossing the road in front of it or as in this case making some unexpected manoeuvre.

The truck driver is entirely to blame for this crash as it was far from obvious what he was going to do until it was too late.

In the wrong lane to turn right.

No indication.

Did not look to see if it was safe to turn as he was crossing the middle lane from the left lane.

Kept going even though she sounded her horn in plenty of time for him to stop.

If he had got just one of these right the crash could have been avoided.

Your view for what it's worth, but a careful review of what I wrote would show that a number of points you raised were already addressed, and seems I'm not the only one who thinks she contributed to the event. 

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Just a normal day, truck driver turning right from the left lane, no signal nothing.

What have the police done about it?

Nothing, if the woman wants police help, she will have to part with some cash.

Precisely.

Why are people  comparing what occurred here to what would have occurred in another country?  Isn't just about every story we read here the same as this in one way or another but with just a different theme?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I think the car was coming very very fast (more than 120 km/h may be 140 ) and the truck was driving very slow. At the time he checked his mirror the car was not viewable because to far. When the car used the horn, the truck was already seriously engage in the turn and had not chance to know if the car would cut in the front or in the back.  His only mistake was not using his turning light. This is a 30 year old truck, may be turning light was not working. On the other hand, the car probably had ABS and it seem to me that the driver did not apply full brake at arround 40M from the truck when you can clearly see that the truck is going to turn. In other words, the truck made probably an unintentional mistake but the car was purposely driving  fast on a slippering road and the driver did not have the skills required to drive a vehicule at that speed. I tend to give more responsibilities to speeding vehicules

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sweatalot said:

cause an accident by reckless driving - and take no resposibility

Normal situation in LOS

a logical usual situation..we are in thailand ..braindamaged loonatics at work....when u approach one of them  slow down adapt to a thinking " hey another ding dong on drugs "...go near  very slow if u sense he stay striaght in his lane without swinging left and right etc ( which would be a seldom experienced positive surprise ) ..than speed up and take him over fast with using your horn and flashing your lights...also stay fast to make distance between him and you...if u cannot overtake stay well behind the truck and observe thai driving at its best....well this procedure always worked for me...I would not dare keeping the speed as this driver did...

On 6/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

This is something so obvious that we are all in agreement with so let's move on to more serious matters and not have another 10 pages of how we can potentially fix the problem because it is cultural and they lack the willpower and ability to fix it so save yourself the bother of typing out nonsense. 

THAT'S IT STOP!!

<deleted> says enough is enough!

I make you right Father, but she was going fast in wet conditions.

A truck on a wet and slippery road too, I was taught to drive to the conditions, something that is never practised in this country. Lucky lady but in a rural area trucks just turns anywhere ant anytime. Please learn from this and you might live a little longer 

7 hours ago, catman20 said:

i agree and easy to say looking at the video, in real life i dont think we have time to think we would do, we just react and no one knows how they would react. how many times have we all done something then when we had time to think, we then thought why did i not do this or that.

after some traffic experience you also start to act correctly, even in panic  (at least i did)

miles and experience under the belt.

your mileage may vary.

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Brakes first, horn later if there is no other evasive action to be done.

In my evaluation of the video, she had one or 2 seconds from when she noticed the truck start to turn and at her speed and the distance involved ..... No vehicle coulkd have came to a stop before the contact....... I for one do think that she WAS braking as she blew the horn......... Can you watch that video and come to a conclusion that she WASN'T braking while honking.......... (and I do think that her honking caused the truck to apply its brakes, very possibly - in the final second).......... In any case it is just guessing on our parts  (I don't specalize in this sort of thing....... Do you?????)

14 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

In my evaluation of the video, she had one or 2 seconds from when she noticed the truck start to turn and at her speed and the distance involved ..... No vehicle coulkd have came to a stop before the contact....... I for one do think that she WAS braking as she blew the horn......... Can you watch that video and come to a conclusion that she WASN'T braking while honking.......... (and I do think that her honking caused the truck to apply its brakes, very possibly - in the final second).......... In any case it is just guessing on our parts  (I don't specalize in this sort of thing....... Do you?????)

She delayed breaking at least 2 seconds after the truck began to turn. Watch how fast the center lines are going by, she does slow down at all until maybe two car lengths from impact. If she had not impacted and bleed off speed she would likely have wrapped around that pole. She drives just like the videos of M/C riders getting launched in the air because drivers failing to react. One thing I am sure of, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a car with her at the wheel. My GF wonders why I wont let her drive or climb on the back of a bike with her.

If you look on her 'Facebook' You will see in her photos you will see the pictures of her BMW and where the truck stopped........ so obviously her HORN did some good.........

I hope they don't stop at just repairing the car....... That truck driver needs to learn something from this........ a lot...... (one thing to control his mouth after screwing up)

Just one second difference could have meant a death.........