Window Replacement

Crash999

Hello everyone,

We had a window replaced in our office as it was cracked since the time we moved in. Was done over the weekend and I came in to find that the window is a deep blue color whereas all of the other windows are a light brown, like a tinted window (though they're not tinted). The installer said that the window is 'mercury glass' and it will fade to brown over several years.

Does this sound right to you? Googling finds nothing like this, to the contrary I've found articles saying that colored glass will not fade over time.

The office looks quite ridiculous now as the window is in the main entrance area so there is a line of light brown windows and one blue one.

Any thoughts or experiences?

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

There are many different tints available, including various browns and blues and greys. Your installer has simply used the wrong one and is unwilling to admit his stupidity.

The solution, as always, is NEVER to let anyone do anything here in your absence. You have to watch every single thing they do and double-check it all.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Strange thing is there's another cracked window in the building and he told the building management that it'll be blue too. Seems the building manager believes him and our building is going to look like some of that multi-colored corn they sell now very soon!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, grollies said:

Nothing to suggest apart from posting up a pic so we can all take the pi$$

Sure, here you go! https://imgur.com/krj93VD  ?

So the story just ended. Building manager called the owner of the business to complain. Suddenly the whole thing is down to a big miscommunication. Junior staff from the installation company has been thrown under the bus by the owner and the window will be replaced pronto. 

Typical Thailand story! Worst part of it all was how easily my staff accepted the excuse from the installation company... "Don't worry, it will eventually fade to the same color over the next 20 years!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crash999 said:

Sure, here you go! https://imgur.com/krj93VD  ?

So the story just ended. Building manager called the owner of the business to complain. Suddenly the whole thing is down to a big miscommunication. Junior staff from the installation company has been thrown under the bus by the owner and the window will be replaced pronto. 

Typical Thailand story! Worst part of it all was how easily my staff accepted the excuse from the installation company... "Don't worry, it will eventually fade to the same color over the next 20 years!"

I see what you mean, looks good though, why don't you get all the brown ones taken out and blue ones put in?

2 hours ago, grollies said:

I see what you mean, looks good though, why don't you get all the brown ones taken out and blue ones put in?

That's just one corner of the office. There are probably 30 or so panels like this and each are divided into a top and bottom section. Would be very expensive to replace them all. 

I like the brown ones actually as it gives the light a yellow/warm tone. 

Anyway, adventure finished. Another one for the books!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crash999 said:

That's just one corner of the office. There are probably 30 or so panels like this and each are divided into a top and bottom section. Would be very expensive to replace them all. 

I like the brown ones actually as it gives the light a yellow/warm tone. 

Anyway, adventure finished. Another one for the books!

good luck fella

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Tangent topic, anyone installed dual pane soundproof windows? What brands are available here? I've seen them at Architec show for years, but wasn't lookinag at the time; but now I need some and can't find distributors.

Not many but try this company. Expensive but like everything you get what you pay for

http://grafinger.co.th/en/home.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-u23zb3E3QIVQ4ePCh2uWApaEAAYAiAAEgKGVPD_BwE#home

On 9/18/2018 at 4:54 PM, Sam Lin said:

Tangent topic, anyone installed dual pane soundproof windows? What brands are available here? I've seen them at Architec show for years, but wasn't lookinag at the time; but now I need some and can't find distributors.

No windows will be sound proof but mine reduce sound a lot 

IMG_4904.PNG.a2d63247e6f38b8c92d3620aab7b29b1.PNGIMG_4905.PNG.ddadd775bc55e04091ea56d05759a7f9.PNG

This is the result of a lazy <deleted>............Wife asked a moron like this to do some grouting once, he used white grout on a floor  which had grey grout already in, when questioned he said it  looked  better!!! Now its half  grey half  white

Just "another" lazy <deleted> making BS  stories for his idleness.