Need call forwarding from USA

csabo

I found several online but can anyone recommend a call forwarding service to my Thai cell number from the US that provides me a local US phone number and voicemail (to email). I need a cheap but functional low monthly minute plan as I need to be reachable to a single person from a US government agency over the next few months and their office will not allow international calls. 

I use google hangouts App on my phone to pick up calls made to my Google Voice US number. It is a free service. You pay only to your Thai phone company for the amount of data used in the call which is very small amount. Instead of forwarding to my Thai number, I add my Google Voice number in Google Hangouts app and turn on "Answer on Lock Screen".  When someone calls my US Google voice number, the incoming call will ring on my Thai phone as Google Hangout notification.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have a US Skype number that costs me $14.23 every 3 months.

When I call somebody they see my US number and can call me back on it. If not answered I get a voice message.

Things have changed

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 4.54.52 PM.png

7 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Yes I also have a Skype number with the Skype app on my phone it just rings  when anyone in the US calls... And with this you have no cost to your local Thai number...

So you have to keep your Skype app running 24-7?

31 minutes ago, csabo said:

Things have changed

I wrote what I am paying now. They reduced the fee after I had it for a year or two. I have been using it for about 5 years now.

I have it mostly so that friends and family can call me for free in most cases.

Sonetel works, but remember they don't like you using your number to receive bank code SMSs and the like, so you may find getting texts hit-or-miss. They've also had a nasty habit of very sharply increasing their fees after luring folks in with low rates, knowing perfectly well it can be a hassle to change your contact number. Reluctant to suggest them for that reason.

Also, expect to receive all the same sort of robocalls on your new number that you'd normally get these days in the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...

So does that skype thing work if one does not have a smart phone?  Just use a PC to host and connect if that makes any sense?   I don't mind returning the call and having it show a Thai number or whatever.  And the times it would matter and I want a USA phone, well, I would handle that somehow

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So does that skype thing work if one does not have a smart phone?  Just use a PC to host and connect if that makes any sense?   I don't mind returning the call and having it show a Thai number or whatever.  And the times it would matter and I want a USA phone, well, I would handle that somehow

You would set it up on a PC. If you don't have a smartphone you can set up call forwarding on Skype so it rings on it. The cost of the forwarded call is deducted from your Skype account credit.

Info about it can be found here. https://support.skype.com/en/skype/all/

If you have a bit of technical, you can use: https://voip.ms/

If you signup from non US/CA IP, you may be asked for ID/utility bill.  Even signing up from US/CA some friends have been asked.

You can get a number in nearly every state/city (or Canadian Provice/Territory), and its about $1/month for the PPM (pay per minute) plan.
Then you just pay incoming (and/or outgoing) rate.

So incoming call to your US/CA # is about $0.01/min (1cent).

Then to forward to any number, you pay their International Rate, which typically beats most providers.
Rate to Thailand is same at $0.01/min, so you end up paying:

$1/month fixed fee for number/PPM plan.

$0.01 call in + $0.01 to your Thai #, for $0.02c/min total.

The web interface has a lot of features which can be overwhelming for "average" user, but lots of powerful stuff.

If you need any help, let me know.

P.S. I dont work/affiliated with them, other than being a happy client.

Skype with a regional number works great and is very good value. If someone says I sound far I just tell them it's an Internet based telephone system. If I had one issue it is that I wish it could be used by banks for security messages. It can receive sms but my bank insists it needs to be a mobile number.

I use Skype for this.  It is running on my phone and desktop, and I also forward calls to my Thai cell phone.

(The only thing, of course, about having a U.S. number is that you may get wrong-number calls, etc.... with U.S. timing!  "No, I am not your Aunt Mimi, and you called me at 3 a.m."  Or, make sure that those you give the number to know that you are not in the U.S. and there is a time difference... {My mom asked me if she could give my Skype number to relatives.  I told her yes, as long as she impressed upon them that there was *a 12-hour time difference* and they should not call if it is 2 p.m. for them...})

Archived