Making a printer wireless

Confuscious

I have a Canon printer, connected by USB.
I would like to make it wireless.
'(My router has no USB input.)

Looking at the answers from Google, it should be possible to make a printer Wireless by connecting a Bluetooth dongle to the printer.
But that seems to be a little bit odd, as a Bluetooth dongle requires to install software in the device.
Which is imposible in the case of the printer.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am pretty sure buying a new wireless printer will be cheaper than any other solution.

Maybe, you are right.
But the choice in Wireless printers at a decent price is very limited.
If I can make this printer Wireless at low cost, it is worth a try.

46 minutes ago, johng said:

Thanks for the tip.
Will try it out.

Someone who knew what they are doing could do it easily using something like a rasbery Pi which you can get here....from Lazada and others

Total costs would be round 2000baht for hardware.

It would though be easiest to use the ready made solution here for 1900 out of the box

https://www.advice.co.th/product/print-server/print-server/print-server-tp-link-tl-wps510u-wireless-g54

but I was beaten to it. Though you do want this wireless one and not the hard wired USB one

Edited by harrry

If you have more than 1 computer in the house you can also share the printer in the network so everyone can print out wireless except for the host machine. 

That's what I did with my Canon printer. In a shared network I have 5 devices connected. I'm on WIndows 8.1 and 7 . But should also be easy to set up with Win 10 . 

On 6/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, Confuscious said:

Thanks for the tip.
Will try it out.

Sorry for the late input, but for the USB/LAN converters you need to read the fine print and make sure the printer is included in their list. If it is an older printer it most likely won't work.

Found this out last year trying to network (granted, not wireless) two older HP printers into the LAN.