Recommendations as to Exercise Machine[s] & Exercise Tool

Hi Fellow Thaivisa.com Posters,

Regrettably I have gone downhill over the years in the Cardio & Strength & Muscle Tone departments.

I need to rectify all these departments starting from now.

I wish to become HARD + STRONG + AGILE + QUICK + HEALTHY + ....

Physical Profile : Male, Very earl 50s, Non-Smoker always, Non-Alcohol Drinker these days, Non drug user always, Presently "fat slim guy" [ Some belly fat & love handles ; Some wasting of muscle from thighs ] ; Natural build is lean & strong ; But, now very very out of condition

Location Profile

Anyway, when in Bkk, I stay in a small room ; Not much space for exercise machine

Still, I know that, for me personally, sturdy & reliable & comfortable & easy to use Exercise Machine will facilitate me to start, & maintain an excercise program over next few months than Public Fitness Gym. or Free-standing Exercise.

I need Good PLUS Cheap PLUS portable-by-1-person [ if reasonably possible ]

After quick perusal of threads in TV.com's Body & Fitness Sub-Forum, I note :

Rowing Machine is recommended ahead of  Bicycle Machine ;

1st Page of Lazada.co.th under criterium "Price ; Low to High" ;

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bbd-shop-chin-up-pull-up-bar-i232529079-s356431435.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.60.5aea42113HKBMV&search=1

I have looked at Exercise Equipment in : Super-Sports, Big C, & Lazada

Until I read the Body & Fitness Forum, I have been interested solely in : Bicycle Machine, & Elliptical Trainer Machine

Also, I am thinking about buying a Pull-Up Bar advertised on Lazada for THB 250 that user fits between uprights of doorway.

I have a Roller Wheel [ Approx THB 200 ] ; But do not use it

And, I have a Mountain Bicycle, & Roller Trainer Makura brand [ I think 8-) ; which may be missing parts ] ; But, do not use the bicycle nor bicycle PLUS trainer
LAZINESS + PROCRASTINATION until now.

Thanking u all in advance for ur helpful replies.

Our Man in the Tropics

As for a rower there is only one.. the concept 2 model D. Its the best but its expensive. It will workout more of your body then a bike will. I am not sure that cheaper rowers will be as good. The rower is one of the best exercises for cardio there is. They are low maintenance and you get far more value for money then any other exercise equipment.

As for the pull up bar go for and as for the ab wheel  I got one and use it and its real hard if used properly. 

Besides exercise get your diet in check. 

I got a full home gym with all kinds of stuff, personally it works for me though for most people going to a gym would be a better option. Many exercise tools end up as clothes hangers.

13 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Thanks for authoritative reply Robblok ;

I was reading some of ur posts on threads of Body + Fitness Threads by the way.

How much does the Concept 2 Model D cost ?

I see one at east west fitness for 59.000 but I believe they can be imported from Malaysia or Singapore cheaper. I am sure Tropo will chime in he has imported a ski erg (also from the brand concept) recently so he knows more then me. Recently it was also posted again somewhere else in the forum. Might be the rowing thread but I cant be sure. I believe 53.000 or something around that should be possible. 

The thing is with the concept 2 model D is that they don't have many parts in there that can break. So they can last long and have good resell value. So if you ever want to get rid of one (and are not in a hurry) you could get quite a large part of your money back.

I like to help people about fitness and home gyms. But like I said you must be really sure that your going to use it otherwise a gym membership is cheaper. Not everyone is the same, i bought all my gym equipment when there were no gyms around here. (now there are 3 or 4). Later I did workout in a gym for a while but with travel and waiting for stuff it just took too much of my time. Though the social part of it was fun meeting new people. Now I just workout when I want.. go up to my gym room and workout and I don't have to wait for anything nor do I have anyone to talk with. The result is a faster workout.

If you can go to a gym somewhere (just once or twice) and find a concept 2 rowing machine you could try it. (though not all are that well maintained). But it would give you a good idea.

Thanks again Robblock for helpful reply,

I forgot to mention :

I am :

Height ; approx 182 cm / 6 foot 

Mass ; approx 87 kg

Meanwhile I found this link which I have not read fully yet ;

It may be worthy for u to bookmark.

Unfortunately, 59,000 is way beyond my funds.

...........................................................................................................

Even this price is beyond my budget ;

But, I may splurge if u recommend.

It's a survive > recover > advance Vs deteriorate situation now.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jacky-fitness-yk-r0901b-i588735-s678804.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.9b1430d4M1eeMg&search=1

THB 9,900

................................................................................................................

Here is Supersports's only product of that type ;

Other than a special handle for the cord.

https://en.supersports.co.th/360fitness-360fitness-กรรเชียงบกออกกำลังกาย-รุ่น-yk-ba803h-สีดำ-แดง-ดำ-14873.html

THB 15,900

How about those rubber bungee cords as improvised rowing machine ?

Just now, BangkokSausage said:

Can I ask why a gym is out the question? If it were me I would join a gym for 3 months and to make 100% SURE I stick to a schedule first and make sure the motivation is there before throwing $$$ at machine that may turn into an expensive towel rack ?

I need to move location ;

Depart Thailand to wherever.

Actually, to put for free a rowing machine in Checked-in Luggage may be feasible me thinketh.

Also, I have no excuses if the machine is in front of me in my room wherever I located.

5 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Thanks again Robblock for helpful reply,

I forgot to mention :

I am :

Height ; approx 182 cm / 6 foot 

Mass ; approx 87 kg

Meanwhile I found this link which I have not read fully yet ;

It may be worthy for u to bookmark.

Unfortunately, 59,000 is way beyond my funds.

...........................................................................................................

Even this price is beyond my budget ;

But, I may splurge if u recommend.

It's a survive > recover > advance Vs deteriorate situation now.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jacky-fitness-yk-r0901b-i588735-s678804.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.9b1430d4M1eeMg&search=1

THB 9,900

................................................................................................................

Here is Supersports's only product of that type ;

Other than a special handle for the cord.

https://en.supersports.co.th/360fitness-360fitness-กรรเชียงบกออกกำลังกาย-รุ่น-yk-ba803h-สีดำ-แดง-ดำ-14873.html

THB 15,900

How about those rubber bungee cords as improvised rowing machine ?

I can't recommend what I have never used.  There are other options, have you ever looked about normal body-weight exercises ? You don't need a gym for that nor do you need much / any equipment. There is also something like PX-90 with some bands (inexpensive). 

Dumbells are what you need.

Farmers walk and dumbell rows beat rowing. Rowing can get boring and they take up a lot of space. 

Given your height and weight you don't have much muscle and weights will help you more.

Saturday morning I ordered a rowing machine from Lazada ;

Approx THB 10,000.

Sliding Seat with recoiling cord ;

Detail is very faint from the photo.

Sorry that I not able to copy & paste the photo ;

Technically I failed.

But, here is the url [ previously posted ; in opening post ] ;

And, yes, I must do as Jobblok & Justfine recommend also.

Hopefully, I get great results after 1 month, & so on until 3 months.

Hormonally out of order too ;

And, that hormonal depletion [ I presume testosterone ] due to :

lack of sleep ;

Often I sleep for only 3 hours ;

Many years of that.

Sedentary lifestyle, & lack of carbo-vascular when out & about ;

Walking with backpack often does not involve tax the carbo-vascular system.

poor diet over many years

breads, & rice.

now on :

fatty meat

vegetables

mushrooms

Cheddar Cheese ; Well not yet ; But, 2kg available in Macro for THB 750 approx.

plain yougart [ Dutch Mill & Meiji ]

milk [ UHT ]

eggs

now off :

rice

potatos

pasta

breads

snacks

candy

chocolate bars etc.

I am thinking that must get legs very strong so as to support & upper body, & improve balance & poise.

Just my advice don't change things too fast you need time to adapt. Its better to slowly change things like first cutting out processed food. Also exercise start slowly and build it up. Radical changes right from the start no matter how good it sounds is often not viable as its hard to keep up. 

Archived