Russian tourist rescued from deadly Phuket ’flash rip’

webfact

Russian tourist rescued from deadly Phuket ’flash rip’

The Phuket News

1530242245_1-org.jpg

The woman, exhausted and frightened, was brought back to shore. Photo: Rawai Municipality

PHUKET: A Russian tourist exhausted after she was pulled away from the beach by a dangerous rip current was rescued and brought safely back to shore at Nai Harn beach yesterday (June 28).

The rescue, by lifeguards with the aid of a local surfer, came as the southwest monsoon weather continues to create strong waves and dangerous “flash rips” along the major tourist beaches on Phuket’s west coast.

Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos reported that the woman was a guest at the nearby All Season Hotel in Nai Harn, but was rescued from a dangerous rip at the southern end of the beach some 400 metres away.

Full story:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-tourist-rescued-from-deadly-phuket-flash-rip-67680.php#6f8wS1WsgQuxwbxh.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-06-29

Having been caught in a rip-tide in the Atlantic Ocean, I initially made the mistake of swimming against the pull. I then remembered "Swim with the tide pull but angle your swim in such a way that it will take you out of the rip and into the calm, then and only then begin your trek to the shore. If exhausted, and lifeguards are on duty, indicate your distress "SIGNAL FOR HELP, DON'T BE EMBARRASSED, IT COULD COST YOU YOUR LIFE".

• Like 1

A friend of mine, a well trained boxer, died at the same spot under same circumstances years ago. The locals avoid to swim there during the rain season. However, neither the swimmers nor the authorities seem to care about the obvious chances to die there.

A red flag is a universal symbol of "don't do it" or "problem" rather like the saying "OK" is understood by 70% or more of the world's people. I guess when looking through rose tinted specs the red flags just look like flags...haha.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

A friend of mine, a well trained boxer, died at the same spot under same circumstances years ago. The locals avoid to swim there during the rain season. However, neither the swimmers nor the authorities seem to care about the obvious chances to die there.

'Seem to care '.

In other words you dont really know what they think, what they do, plan to do etc etc.

Edited by Expatthailover

It's a hard thing to do but as a surfer and surf swimmer you need to relax and go with the rip. It will drop you off out the back. They usually last for 100-150 meters and during that time you put your hand up for help. Most don't do that which is unfortunate and panic sets in and tiredness and they drown.  Very lucky lady and kudos to the Thai men who rescued her.

• Like 1