3 Hour Meeting Between Authorities and Red Truck Drivers Reaches No Solutions to Grab Car Issue

snoop1130

3 Hour Meeting Between Authorities and Red Truck Drivers Reaches No Solutions to Grab Car Issue

by CityNews

S__5824518.jpg

CityNews – Songtaew drivers are continuing their campaign against Grab Car in Chiang Mai by submitting their petition to crack down of drivers to the Chiang Mai Provincial Land Transport Office.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/3-hour-meeting-authorities-red-truck-drivers-reaches-no-solutions-grab-car-issue/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-7-4

And I would add to @smedly 's post that in every provincial town in Thailand barring the Bangkok Metropolitan area, the local powers-that-be/political clan, using a combination of the authority that comes with controlling the thetsaban and thuggery, ensure a local public transport monopoly is created on a medium-cost, low quality model for local residents. High-cost is usually reserved for tourist areas.

Only where government intervention occurs such as in the pricing of inter-provincial buses, is the price kept to fair levels (but they still can't do competition, it only leads to fighting).

The fact that these red trucks are still around and are the most popular form of transport says a lot.  It's unbelievable that haggling with a driver and then riding in the back of his pick-up truck is the mode of transport here.   It is 2018 for heavens sake.

• Like 2

I would think the orange bicycles take more of their Chinese customers away from them as the Chinese saving money. Red trucks are full of malarkey. Comfort compared to their diesel belching smoggy smelling old rickety old trucks compounded by how terrible they drive is just cause enough to walk. 

And again the hotel tout cars at the end of  Loi Kroh, numerous vans, blue bus, tuk tuks, where do they get off on getting off?

The Red Truck boys can piss and moan until the cows come home.  They can try their pressure tactics to individual  Grab drivers, they can drive en mass to their local Phu Yai the bottom line is it will have no effect.  When Thai people continue to use Grab these clowns are fighting a losing battle.  In a civilized country that cares about peoples health and the air quality the Red Trucks and their ar..se hole drivers would be consigned to the garbage dump.

I can see most of you dont know your butt from your head and just want to scream out how much you hate Thailand.  These guys are not taxi mafia.  They run simi routes but will detour to get you close to your end stop.  The first klic or two is only B20 then it is B40, you ask the guy before getting in and then pay when you get off.  I have waved them down and asked how much to make a special run to the airport with no stops or picking up of other riders and got quoted less than a B100 and when I said I would pay B200 they were very happy to get me there.  these are not taxies - these are hop on hop off mass transit.

Edited by suave
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2018 at 5:35 PM, suave said:

I can see most of you dont know your butt from your head and just want to scream out how much you hate Thailand.  These guys are not taxi mafia.  They run simi routes but will detour to get you close to your end stop.  The first klic or two is only B20 then it is B40, you ask the guy before getting in and then pay when you get off.  I have waved them down and asked how much to make a special run to the airport with no stops or picking up of other riders and got quoted less than a B100 and when I said I would pay B200 they were very happy to get me there.  these are not taxies - these are hop on hop off mass transit.

Sorry ... then what are they all getting pissy about with Grab?  What is wrong with competition and a bit of free market?  

1 minute ago, kurtmartens said:

Sorry ... then what are they all getting pissy about with Grab?  What is wrong with competition and a bit of free market?  

These guys have to get them licensed with a local authority that costs about B250,000 if my memory serves me right.  They have a lot of expenses including yearly dues to pay.  The grab people pay nothing but take the business.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, suave said:

These guys have to get them licensed with a local authority that costs about B250,000 if my memory serves me right.  They have a lot of expenses including yearly dues to pay.  The grab people pay nothing but take the business.

And that is the fault of the Grab people?  You cannot blame them that they don't have to pay anything (not sure, but I'll take your word about that).  You cannot blame them that the Songtaew drivers invested a large sum and a potentially bad "investment"; there are no guarantees in business after all.  I live in Chiangmai, but since we have our own truck I have never had to take Grab or a Songtaew here.  However, when I am in Phuket I do take Grab because the taxi "mafi" there is outrageous with refusing to turn on meters and trying to charge 200/400 Baht for a 1-2km quick ride, etc.

I am not unfeeling towards the Songtaew guys for trying to make a living, but this all seems very much like how the US airlines are up in arms against the GCC airlines.  Afraid of competition.  I really do believe more choices lead to better service and experience for the customers.

Is the solution makes the Grab folks pay the same licensing fees?  I don't know.  But ... again and again competition in the market places always proves to be the best way.

21 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

And that is the fault of the Grab people?  You cannot blame them that they don't have to pay anything (not sure, but I'll take your word about that).  You cannot blame them that the Songtaew drivers invested a large sum and a potentially bad "investment"; there are no guarantees in business after all.  I live in Chiangmai, but since we have our own truck I have never had to take Grab or a Songtaew here.  However, when I am in Phuket I do take Grab because the taxi "mafi" there is outrageous with refusing to turn on meters and trying to charge 200/400 Baht for a 1-2km quick ride, etc.

I am not unfeeling towards the Songtaew guys for trying to make a living, but this all seems very much like how the US airlines are up in arms against the GCC airlines.  Afraid of competition.  I really do believe more choices lead to better service and experience for the customers.

Is the solution makes the Grab folks pay the same licensing fees?  I don't know.  But ... again and again competition in the market places always proves to be the best way.

You are right about Phuket, lol.  I live there now but used to live in Chiang Mai and did use the Songtaew quite often.  The trucks themselves are quite expensive also as they have to be a certain way, they can't just paint any truck red and use it.  The structure of the transportation was something that everyone abided by there and suddenly freebooters show up paying nothing having no regulations, I would be pissed too.  When needed here in Phuket I also use Grab, they are just too easy and you know up front how much you are going to pay.  Chiang Mai is a different world and you know how Thai love their rules, but things are changing.

Edited by suave
  • Thanks 1