Should I get an extension or go on a trip and buy Tourist Visa instead?

I'm currently in Bangkok on a 30 day visa exemption stamp that is good until August 1. I was planning on getting it extended for the additional 30 days so I would be good until September 1.

But I want to go on a trip to Bali, and saw that there is a Thai embassy there where I can get a Tourist Visa.  Would it be a better decision to go to Bali this month, around July 15, so I would have only been in Bangkok for just 2 weeks, but while I'm there buy the Tourist Visa  and get that extended when I come back? So I'll be good until around October 15. Then I'll need to get another tourist visa at that time or do a land border run.

Or, would it be a better decision to stay in Thailand, and get my visa exempt extended for the additional 30 days and be stamped in until September 1, and then go on a trip to Bali, and get the Tourist Visa and come back and I'll have more time to stay in Thailand  until December? I can't decide if I'm gonna waste my Visa Exempt if I plan my trip to go without staying the full 30 days on the Visa exempt stamp that I have which i can extend for an additional 30. 

Edited by lopezkoa

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing wrong with getting the 30 day extension since immigration does not count them against you when doing another visa exempt entry and then the tourist visa.

Contact info for the honorary Thai consulate in Bali is here on their twitter page. https://twitter.com/RTCatDPS

Did you mean "does NOT count them against you..."?