Prawit sorry for offending China netizens over boat tragedy, but law offenders to be punished

snoop1130

Prawit sorry for offending China netizens over boat tragedy, but law offenders to be punished

By The Nation

52de6660aa4e6f1a18ae29543d2c6438.jpeg

Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwon on Tuesday offered an apology for a comment about Phuket’s boat tragedies. “If my words offended you, I would like to apologise,” he said.

He spoke after his earlier comments had reportedly whipped up a storm of criticism on China’s social media. 

Last Thursday, two boats sank in the sea off Phuket causing more than 40 deaths and leaving several tourists unaccounted for. Most of the victims came from China.

Following the incident, Prawit said Chinese operators violating laws and causing harm to their fellow Chinese were to blame. 

Prawit yesterday said he made the comment after receiving a report suggesting it was true.

It was reported that the boats, very likely operated by tour companies belonging to Chinese investors via Thai nominees, had ignored a safety warning and ventured out to sea under rough conditions. 

As of yesterday, some of the victims remained unaccounted for despite all-out search efforts. 

“Please do not mix things up. We offer assistance to victims. That’s one thing. But we will take actions against law offenders. That’s the other thing,” Prawit said.

He elaborated further that while the government has extended sincere condolences to Chinese people over the boat tragedies and will provide full help to the injured or deceased victims, Thai police would need to take actions against those responsible for the fatal incidents. 

“An investigation will continue to dig deep into why these two boats left the shore despite the warning,” he said. 

Foreign Affairs Minister Don Pramudwinai, meanwhile, was trying to downplay Prawit’s comment. 

“I think the comment will not affect the relationships [between two countries],” he said. 

He emphasised that Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s trip to Phuket on Monday went well. 

Don also pledged that relevant authorities would also learn from the recent boat tragedies and prevent such incidents from recurring. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349742

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-10

What - no wrist watches or diamonds in this photo!! This fool has to be the most incompetent person to ever be involved in Thai politics (how did he ever become a high ranking officer in the military ??? Ya gotta wunda!). Dare I say the dreaded C word.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Don also pledged that relevant authorities would also learn from the recent boat tragedies and prevent such incidents from recurring. Just like Mini and Tourist bus fatalities maybe fit GPSs in the boats !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The chinese have no to blame but themselves.  I'm not suggesting drowning is a good solution to problems, but some folks, chinese tourists esp, have a difficult time accepting that they cannot do what they demand to do every time. Arrogance, of course.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

14 hours ago, bdenner said:

What - no wrist watches or diamonds in this photo!! This fool has to be the most incompetent person to ever be involved in Thai politics (how did he ever become a high ranking officer in the military ??? Ya gotta wunda!). Dare I say the dreaded C word.

You wonder how he ever became a high ranking army officer.

Well mate the answer is easy.... Money thats how, he offered the biggest envelope over when more senior positions were up for grabs.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm.

Chinese tourists.

Chinese controlled tour boat company.

Chinese netizens not happy.

Seems the old fat one is kowtowing to the corrupt Thais that are getting richer on the Chinese tour business.

After all the Thai netizens got didly squat from the uproar about his watches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

“An investigation will continue to dig deep into why these two boats left the shore despite the warning,” he  ( Prawit ) said. 

Is BM stevenl still insisting there was no warning ??

Yes,. there was no warning, authorities are simply covering their ass. I have shown this before, but to the non-believers, here it is again (you may recall the accident happened on the 5th of July) from the official TMD site, http://www.tmd.go.th/en/list_warning.php:

1 Heavy Rain and Strong Wind and Waves over Thailand 2 July 10, 2018
2 Heavy Rain and Strong Wind and Waves over Thailand 1 July 10, 2018
3 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 17 July 10, 2018
4 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 16 July 10, 2018
5 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 15 July 9, 2018
6 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 14 July 9, 2018
7 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 13 July 9, 2018
8 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 12 July 9, 2018
9 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 11 July 8, 2018
10 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 10 July 8, 2018
11 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 9 July 8, 2018
12 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 8 July 8, 2018
13 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 7 July 7, 2018
14 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 6 July 7, 2018
15 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 5 July 7, 2018
16 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 4 July 7, 2018
17 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 3 July 6, 2018
18 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 2 July 6, 2018
19 The strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South 1 July 6, 2018
20 The strong wind and waves over the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf 36 June 20, 2018
Edited by stevenl
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

So zaZa, what is sad? My reaction, or authorities covering their ass? Or you want to dispute the fact there was no warning issued?

Edited by stevenl

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prawit yesterday said he made the comment after receiving a report suggesting it was true.

... and then he apologized after receiving a report suggesting the Chinese were upset, a true Clockwork General

3 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

The chinese have no to blame but themselves.  I'm not suggesting drowning is a good solution to problems, but some folks, chinese tourists esp, have a difficult time accepting that they cannot do what they demand to do every time. Arrogance, of course.

The "arrogance" is all yours. Tourists are to blame for the boat sinking - how exactly?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

So zaZa, what is sad? My reaction, or authorities covering their ass? Or you want to dispute the fact there was no warning issued?

Disappointed there was no warning.

But , so I understand fully ,  what constitutes  a "warning" ?

Is it a general announcement over the media ,  is it  a directive issued to all registered boats  ,  is it advice issued by the authorities to   tour operators calling a 'hotline' etc , etc?

The reason I ask is on  that day  I slept in , then  I expressed surprise when I  awoke at 9:45 am  and I saw everything wet and plenty of leaves etc , spread  about.

My Thai wife said  she had got  up early and that a very hard and short storm had hit. She also  stated that shortly after , local TV had expressed a storm warning for the morning , and ALSO FOR THAT  COMING AFTERNOON.

( She just walked in  now as I type and she is adamant that the TV channel she was watching   early  that morning  had  issued a storm warning said that all tours would be cancelled.... so I definitely havent imagined this.)

So  some 8 hours before the storm under discussion occurred , she said there  was a media announced storm warning . 

We were at Kathu that day at lunchtime , heading back to the West Coast beaches , and it was so hot I headed straight to Surin Beach.

But by 4pm it was so black at sea , I hurriedly headed home.

Winds near blew me off my scooter at 4:15pm...

I am not making this up.

Perhaps the  industry definition of a 'storm warning'  will throw some light on the subject for me.

Edited by zaZa9
  • Like 1

There's an article today in a well known English language Thai newspaper that I'm not allowed to link to, stating that Chinese tour agencies may look to other destinations rather than Phuket, partly as a result of the accident itself but equally due to Prawit's comments. Easy to find in a search.