Trump calls Germany 'captive' of Russia; demands higher defence spending

webfact

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's a reason, as the OP article mentions, that the Baltic states are worried about future aggression from Russia, having seen what happened to Ukraine and Crimea. All of that argues for a continued U.S. military presence in Europe, and I think most European governments would agree -- especially those geographically closest to Russia.

Nah.  Their problem, not ours.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simple1 said:

Usual insulting hyperbole and misinformation from Trump concerning US NATO contributions, deserves a slap from Merkel. Reality...

Russia currently provides 40 percent of the fuel that generates 10 percent of Germany’s power, that’s 4 percent of the country’s energy production. 

Trump also needs to bear in mind US liquid gas is more expensive than dry gas from Russia.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-18/germany-brushes-aside-u-s-objection-to-russia-gas-pipeline-link

Germany is striving for complete green energy sources, while the USA wants to move to coal ?  In any case, the man child is again misinformed and looking looking me an ignorant idiot, as usual.  I guess Trump never knew the history of Russia and Germany, or the USA for that matter.  What a tool!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tumama said:

Sadly almost all European government think this. I think it's ridiculous. What happened in Ukraine happened after U.S meddled and supported the violent coup in Kiev. Crimea has been a part of Russia for hundreds of years and was only recently given to Ukraine by the communist Soviet Union. If Kosovo had the right to self determination, then why not Crimea? The hypocrisy is just mind boggling.

I think Russia should be doing more for the rebels in eastern Ukraine. If U.S can openly fund the propaganda arm of Al-Nusra Front (a.k.a the White Helmets), and illegally bomb and station troops in Syria. Russia should be allowed to do the same thing.

The sanctions against Russia are not only unfair, but it also hurts the European economy. It only serves the interests of the United States.

Awe, maybe you should go help!?   I’m not sure how old you are, but that’s how the world works-humans for that matter.  If you want to live under the Russian model of rule, they will take you in and give you free land.  I would think about it if I were you ?

Edited by Redline

12 minutes ago, tumama said:

Sadly almost all European government think this. I think it's ridiculous. What happened in Ukraine happened after U.S meddled and supported the violent coup in Kiev. Crimea has been a part of Russia for hundreds of years and was only recently given to Ukraine by the communist Soviet Union. If Kosovo had the right to self determination, then why not Crimea? The hypocrisy is just mind boggling.

You seem to have a blinkered view of history. As I mentioned above, Russia's invasion of a sovereign Ukraine has been condemned by most of the nations in the world, and with good reason.

After the breakup of the Soviet Union, Ukraine endured years of corruption, mismanagement, lack of economic growth, currency devaluation, and problems in securing funding from public markets.[38][39] Successive Ukrainian governments in the 2000s sought a closer relationship with the European Union (EU).[40][41] One of the measures meant to achieve this was an association agreement with the European Union, which would have provided Ukraine with funds in return for liberalising reforms.[42]

President Yanukovych announced his intention to sign the agreement, but ultimately refused to do so at the last minute.[43] This sparked a wave of protests called the "Euromaidan" movement.[44] During these protests Yanukovych signed a treaty and multibillion-dollar loan with Russia.[44] The Ukrainian security forces cracked down on the protesters, further inflaming the situation and resulting in a series of violent clashes in the streets of Kiev.[45] As tensions rose, Yanukovych fled to Russia and did not return.[44]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Ukrainian_revolution

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tumama said:

More like Germany is captive of U.S. As a European, I don't understand how we view U.S as a friend and Russia as a foe. We are swamped with refugees due to U.S, not Russia. We should slap U.S with sanctions over that. Force them to end the wars, and re-settle as many refugees as we can.

Rubbish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zaphod reborn said:

Again, the media fails to connect the dots as to why Trump even cares about the Baltic pipeline that feeds natural gas from Russia into Germany.  It has nothing to do with US producers, as US gas must be converted to LNG and shipped, making it too expensive for the market.

Does anyone recall that Trump was offered an 18% ownership in Rosneft if he lifted sanctions against Russia?  Gazprom, who has the German nat gas contract, and Rosneft are vicious global market competitors, being the largest nat gas producers in Russia. Rosneft v. Gazprom   Obviously, Trump still believes he can lift Russian sanctions and be rewarded with ownership in Rosneft.  Now, do you understand why he wants to talk to Putin, mano-on-mano? 

sorry dude, there is zero factual verifiable evidence of this, but keep up the good work.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sukhumvitneon said:

Merkel's pontification about East Germany and "knowing about the Soviet Union" really took the cake.

Well, as a Communist and former Stasi agent, she does.

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sukhumvitneon said:

US: Provides defense guarantees to Europe backed by a $639 billion budget

US: Perhaps you should willingly increase spending on your own militaries to protect your countries

Europe: What!? We're getting ripped off by American Imperialism and Drumpf!!!

The EU is pathetic.  Can't close the military bases.  Can't have balanced trade.  America should just walk away from the whole arrangement.  Merkel's pontification about East Germany and "knowing about the Soviet Union" really took the cake.

Should get Merkel and a few of her EU sycophants  and put them under Quarantine,their ignorance has infected their responsibility to pay up, 1.2% crumbs. Your piggy bank  is talking back

Edited by riclag

30 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

well thanks for the insult little man.

another ridiculous assumption, already debunked. Carter Page is under no current prosecution...why? Because there is no evidence. He has testified already, it is laughable that an unpaid "advisor" could be offered billions. get a grip dude.

But is is a FACT that the former chancellor is on the board of directors of the Russian gas company, but of course there could be no corruption there.

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (ie, removal of sanctions) is just one LLC transfer away from Trump's offshore wallet. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-rosneft-privatisation-insight/how-russia-sold-its-oil-jewel-without-saying-who-bought-it-idUSKBN1582OH

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (ie, removal of sanctions) is just one LLC transfer away from Trump's offshore wallet. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-rosneft-privatisation-insight/how-russia-sold-its-oil-jewel-without-saying-who-bought-it-idUSKBN1582OH

quite a large stretch and assumption, but it would seem you have already made up your mind

1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

USA pays $664billion of a $918billion bill?  To defend Europe?? WW2 ended when??

Russia annexed Crimea when?? NATO did what about it??  Waste of USA money - money that US taxpayers pay.

20170225_WOC985_0.png

Well, I think you just won the prize for the most ridiculous comment of this thread. Almost as ridiculous as Trump claiming other Nato members owe the US back payments.

And since when was the Crimea or the Ukraine for that matter a member of NATO?

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If Germany is "captive" of Russia because their energy  reliance, Then what is the US to China for its reliance of financing it's debt? 

I don't think it was about debt, it is about reliance on energy from one source.

there is a lot of debt puzzles, very interesting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15748696

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

I don't think it was about debt, it is about reliance on energy from one source.<snip>

By now you should know Trump lies and misinforms practically every day, even in front of people during meetings who know he is lying. Germany is not reliant on one supplier / one source. Refer to charts below which identifies German energy production from natural gas was 13.2% in 2017.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/germanys-energy-consumption-and-power-mix-charts

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

If EU doesnt soon pay its share of the costs of NATO,  that is what Trump will threaten to do.

And if that doesnt work, he will start scaling down the US involvement in NATO.

That the US pays more as a % of GDP than Germany or UK of France is an example of USA being far too easy in the past -  a ridiculous situation that Trump is going to change.

USA pays $664billion of a $918billion bill?  To defend Europe?? WW2 ended when??

Russia annexed Crimea when?? NATO did what about it??  Waste of USA money - money that US taxpayers pay.

20170225_WOC985_0.png

Can you imagine if PT cut a deal with Vlad for 400 billion 

• Like 1