An Onslaught of Tourists Is Stressing Out Thailand

webfact

22 hours ago, robertson468 said:

My Wife (Thai Lady) and I often walk through the plantations near our house with our dogs, where the tourists tend not to wander.  The areas are strewn with plastic bags, old flip flops, bits of cloth, discarded containers et al.  We normally take a plastic bag with us and fill it up and then dump it at the nearest refuse point, but to be honest, it is a never ending job and it is very much down to the locals who are indiscriminantly throwing their junk on the ground, without thought of the consequences.  Very sad and clearly an education programme is needed both to stop this littering and to stop them burning their rubbish with the adverse affects on the environment, people and animals.

I thought widespread burning of household rubbish was just a sad Philippine trait,  I've not seen it in 4 years here. 

But we can't blame the poorer populace if the government decide Submarines are a better deal for Thailand's well-being than garbage trucks and refuse processing plants. 

1 hour ago, Aupee said:

I live in a moo ban maybe 150 people every thai household is surrounded by garbage strewn areas . Me I'm the mad Farang who washes his concrete,  weeds the garden, sweeps the Soi and washes his car. When he could be enjoying a seista laying amongst the garbage. But then its my choice to live here , not my place to try to do the governments job of educating it's people

Really?  Wow.  Our village started picking up garbage every Sunday a couple years ago.  But with that said, before???  Not so good.  It can be done.  Just depends where those government funds earmarked for 'villages' are actually put to work. 

When back in 1979 I went to Phuket beaches all I saw was zig dead snakes on the road. The beach was empty but a fisherman who threw his net.

I was alone and got my butt stung by jellyfish.

Today's mass tourism has already created a disaster for the ecosystem both at sea and on land.

The only people who still feel happy are the Hotel owners and the government. They think that the buck will bring back their once beautiful beaches.

8 minutes ago, africasiaeuro said:

When back in 1979 I went to Phuket beaches all I saw was zig dead snakes on the road. The beach was empty but a fisherman who threw his net.

I was alone and got my butt stung by jellyfish.

Today's mass tourism has already created a disaster for the ecosystem both at sea and on land.

The only people who still feel happy are the Hotel owners and the government. They think that the buck will bring back their once beautiful beaches.

Back when, back when.

Of course any place that is good will soon not be that is life today, especially with the social communication.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:48 AM, HooHaa said:

Instant noodles?

Rather a poor example to choose if you wish to blame tourists for the excess of garbage.

Chinese live on them

They buy from 7/11 and cook in the coffee maker of the hotel rooms to avoid paying for restaurants...... 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Back when, back when.

Of course any place that is good will soon not be that is life today, especially with the social communication.

I think he was implying the same thing just went over your head huh.

That is a perfect example of social media youth.Cannot really comprehend things any more.

Edited by lovelomsak
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 2:04 PM, Odysseus123 said:

The village installed blue bins which are collected weekly..

They look very pretty with the piles of rotting garbage strewn everywhere but the bins.

No Chinese within a million miles.

A well educated young Thai man once said to me.."I like China-it's clean"

'nuff said about the complete lack of care of the environment.

I guess that justifies my response when Thai people tell me they love Thailand, I ask them "then why is there trash everywhere, and nobody maintains anything?"

• Like 2

This guy believes that the tourists are (mainly) to blame for all the plastic floating in the rivers and seas?!?! 

What planet does he live on then? 

You couldn't make sh*t like this up if you tried to... I honestly give up on these people. 

Ah. I've been waiting for the reason for a downturn to cover inflated tourism numbers, but methinks I smell the gentle fragrance of burning martyr (see what I do for my country and my people?).

Perhaps the stress might be reduced if there were more and more professional management in Thailand, but then perhaps I'm being unrealistic, given all of the circumstances, after all, professional management means rather fewer brown envelopes, and we can't have that...

So many dilemmas. so little time.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not "tourists" per se, it's a certain demographic of tourist to blame. If they were serious,  they'd put a cap on numbers from a certain country, and require all of them to get a tourist visa.

I'm not holding my breath, as greed will win out, as usual.

And if you were capped?

12 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

the south is popular more than the nth.but if no tourist in the south then they will be complaining alot.the scams that go on is huge on the beaches we all know that

yawn. not a lot of sense to be had here nor useful insight. No tourism in The North? Lots of tourists in the South? Non of the above makes sense. What scams in the south?

11 minutes ago, The manic said:

yawn. not a lot of sense to be had here nor useful insight. No tourism in The North? Lots of tourists in the South? Non of the above makes sense. What scams in the south?

For me maybe just my bad luck, but I will never go to Phuket again. 

Loads of scams there from Taxi mafia, motorbike, jet ski, timeshare, all inclusive party rackets.

My opinion is Pattaya is tame compared to Phuket for this sort of thing.

Add the fact the cost of a decent hotel and food are double or more.

A shame I liked the place just seems too much confusion on doing the right thing.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:39 AM, mok199 said:

NO...The Onslaught of ''Budget Tourists'',lawless disrespectful thais and Poorly run ,corrupt tour groups is stressing out Thailand..but we can always go to the new mall

I've been a budget tourist myself on countless occasions, and yet I've always respected the environment...

• Thanks 1

It is not about “tourists” this is about Thailand not taking responsibility for the care and maintenance of its own country. Since the government does nothing but talk about changes whenever there is a catastrophe and is much more concerned about the cash needed to continue the cycle of corruption nothing will change.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Aupee said:

I live in a moo ban maybe 150 people every thai household is surrounded by garbage strewn areas . Me I'm the mad Farang who washes his concrete,  weeds the garden, sweeps the Soi and washes his car. When he could be enjoying a seista laying amongst the garbage. But then its my choice to live here , not my place to try to do the governments job of educating it's people

Before the tsunami I was staying on Phi Phi and although the beach was covered in garbage, the resort staff preferred to sleep ( during working hours ) than go out and pick up rubbish.

However, on different islands some resorts are excellent in keeping the beaches clean.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No way my country would have enough tourists here to be capped.

Ah you meaning capping based on country/race? Or educational level? Or colour of skin? Or age? Or tatooes? Or physical abilities?  Please explain?