TAT launches Eat Thai, Visit Thai campaign for British market

webfact

TAT launches Eat Thai, Visit Thai campaign for British market

ThaiFood.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 13 July 2018 (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has launched a campaign, "Eat Thai, Visit Thai" for the British market to boost Thailand's lucrative gastronomy tourism and increase first-time visitors. 

A memorandum of understanding (MOU) was signed between the TAT and seven groups of Thai restaurant operators in Britain for further collaboration on gastronomy tourism. The campaign runs from August until the end of September. 

The TAT Governor, Yuthasak Supasorn, said Thai food remains popular in Europe and the TAT wants to use related restaurants to promote Thai cuisine and tourism. 

The campaign is aimed at increasing first-time visits from Britain by five percent during the period, generating at least 100 million baht.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-07-13

49 minutes ago, poohy said:

If they are talking of Thai restaurants in UK "very sparse and way over priced" although must admit i would never think of eating Thai food in UK

My choice would always be  Indian Bangladeshi food whilst at home in UK certainly cheaper and prolific

God i am hungry now!

The food in them is also very bland compared to what you get in Thailand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

TAT love their campaigns, tourism up, up, up.

What they fail to understand, my fellow country men come here for feasting, but not on food.:cheesy:?

What I'm missing is the stern warning to stay away from school lunches.

• Haha 2

How about Drive Thai? (Just leave your passport in this wide open drawer for 'safekeeping' and so we can tell your embassy you're roadkill.)

And Dive Thai (enjoy breathtaking  views as you breathe your last plunging from your Pattaya hotel Balcony).

Can someone tell me where TAT run these campaigns to attract visitors.I live in the UK, watch television, read newspapers etc and I do not recall seeing one advertisement in the last few years promoting Thailand, Thai food or anything else Thai.

Apart from the odd holiday programme (that usually promotes high end resorts ) what exactly do TAT spend their money on?.(dont answer that, everyone knows the answer)

As far as Thai restaurants in the UK, my Thai partner refuses to eat in them as she says the food is served in small portions,tom yum goong with two prawns, and expensive.It is only when she speaks Thai to the staff that she gets "off menu" items.

If they want to appeal to the British market they just need to open a few more chippys and allow beer to be bought and consumed 24/7. It's sunny here and those few hours in the day that beer isn't allowed to be bought is costing the country a lot of money. Nothing a Brit likes more than sun, beer and sunburn. I wonder if they've actually taken any advice from any Brits before they launched this campaign. 

28 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

Can someone tell me where TAT run these campaigns to attract visitors.I live in the UK, watch television, read newspapers etc and I do not recall seeing one advertisement in the last few years promoting Thailand, Thai food or anything else Thai.

Apart from the odd holiday programme (that usually promotes high end resorts ) what exactly do TAT spend their money on?.(dont answer that, everyone knows the answer)

As far as Thai restaurants in the UK, my Thai partner refuses to eat in them as she says the food is served in small portions,tom yum goong with two prawns, and expensive.It is only when she speaks Thai to the staff that she gets "off menu" items.

I'm pretty sure I've seen adverts for Thailand on UK TV but I'm sure it was during football matches on Sky Sports. Those who like to drink and get a little lairy must be their target audience. 

Some older friends of mine came from England on an organized trip. Problem was it was run like these Chinese tours, up at 'sparrows fart' every morning, hours in the coach and stops at some very average places. They reckon they won't come back, even though I explained what there was to see and do here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, poohy said:

If they are talking of Thai restaurants in UK "very sparse and way over priced" although must admit i would never think of eating Thai food in UK

My choice would always be  Indian Bangladeshi food whilst at home in UK certainly cheaper and prolific

God i am hungry now!

Not really so sparse but they are expensive. If the cost is down to high prices for airfreight then fine but if local ingredients are used along with generic curry pastes then not. Most just serve 'tourist food' but you do have some that are authentic so you need to go in and ask. Go ask who is in charge and have a chat with them. For the most part, when they see that you know Thai food as in the general article they will make pretty much anything you like for a negotiated price. Find out where the chef is from and order accordingly... aim for Isan food if that is where they are from. 

Was in an Indian on Samui a few years back with a number of friends. Waiter handed out menus and brought a couple of drinks. When he later returned to take the food order he asked if I was English. Why, I asked. I saw you never opened the menu because you already know what is in there and if it's not then we can and will make it for you. Only English people do that. Very funny I thought.