Need help buying a soft mattress topper in or near Muang Khon Kaen

Keith5588

I am 65 years old, quite small and slim, weight about 57 kg, I sleep on my side.

In the near future I will be moving to a different rented accommodation and I know the bed mattress is too hard for me. I have done a little research and think a latex topper would be good, and least 3 inches deep and a rating of soft. I have looked on the internet and saw that a standard for rating latex firmness is an ILD number (Indentation Load Deflection). I think this ILD is stated in the US and European countries. Actually I would settle for a “Soft” “Medium” or “Firm”.

I did go with my Thai lady to visit a few stores, Home Pro, Index Living, Home Hub, Baan & Beyond, and Robinson’s.

At that time I was just starting to look and decided to just buy a complete mattress and so did not look at the toppers much. I have now changed my mind and feel a topper would be best as I am renting an apartment and may move again in the near future. A topper will be easier to transport than a full mattress.

I had to show a lot of patience when visiting the stores. None of them understood that I should need to know if a mattress is rated as soft, medium or firm. Their reply was usually “you can lay on it”.  None of them had even heard about the ILD firmness standard. One shop told me one mattress was softer than the one next to it, when I found the labels they both indicated “firm”. In another shop I explained that I needed a soft mattress, he seemed to understand, he lead us over to a bed with a hard mattress. Another instance I asked again about the firmness, the sales assistant said it has 10 year warranty, I asked again, they pointed to the card by the side of the bed, after checking I said the card is not for that mattress model, it has a different name, I think they understood it was wrong but I got the impression that it is probably still there. 

Robinson’s I thought were the best, the only store that understood the need to know the firmness rating of a mattress from the mattress manufacturer. The others seem to think that laying on it for a moment is all that is needed.

I will need to visit the stores again after I move, I am not looking forward to it!

Any help very much appreciated.

Keith

7 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Home-Kitchen-Mattresses-Toppers/zgbs/home-garden/8521807011

Check that delivery to Thailand is an option - some Amazon sellers do and some dont.

Thanks for posting a link.     That's always helpful for other members.

And now I instantly have mattresses showing on the TVF page courtesy of Ad Sense ?

Edited by watcharacters

Thanks Starky and Elvis, I have visited some stores again today, Baan and Beyond seem to be the best. They all seem to apply a discount straight away but I guess they will still be cheaper on the internet.

It's amazing how the stores cannot inform you of the important information, mainly how firm a topper is rated by the manufacturer, hopefully that information is available more on the internet seeing as you cannot lay on it.

I definitely now want a latex topper 3" or more thick, and soft.

I haven't time now but will look at the sites you both posted and if I gain some interesting information I will post it.

Thanks

Keith 

i just press my hands from each side and

see how much they give after, (to verify softness)

and i make sure i see a pic of springs on it.

i bought a mattress yesterday on big c.

who cares about the money anyway ?

just leave it and buy a new if you cant bring it with you, if and when you move.

there is also the possibility its not going

to be a big improvement,

in which case you have to keep buying until one does work as intended

Edited by poanoi

Thanks for the link Phuket man. I went to the site. The most important criteria for me after selecting the material is the firmness of the topper. I think manufacturers of latex rubber know the firmness level of their product, there is an ILD standard or maybe they have their own equivalent.

Unless I missed it, this Latex Innovations site does not mention the firmness of the latex so how can I select what is right for me?

dear keith 5588,

This is an incredible story.

I want you to know,

I"m being 100% sincere.

The only reason I'm not rotflmao, is that now that I've become familiar with thaivisa's audience, you may very well be a real person.

I will look forward to your future contributions.

Thank You

Cheers 

I bought one of these to put on top of a firm mattress. It works fine, and now I can sleep with no back pains 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lotus-topper-companion-l-5-2-latex-made-in-belgium-i208676424-s314459942.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.3bb2e357QKttg7&search=1

Thanks larsstig,  it does help that you had the same problem as me and it was fixed by the topper. I do want to have another look in the stores at the Lotus toppers. I think I would opt for a 3 inch thick. If the price is not much difference I will be fair and buy from the store. The Lotus toppers are a sensible lowish price of 4,999 baht for the companion II 3 inch on Lazada. I did lay on one in Baan & Beyond made by Satin that was latex and seemed softer and it was 4 inches deep ........... I though it was nice but it was over 13,000 baht, but if I think it is better I will buy it.