anyone know of a simple house for rent in isaan

at15

having trouble with kaidee renters due to lack of thai language knowledge and no thai wife or friends to help. older rough house no problem, as long as i can get internet connection. It can be a 2 or 3 bedroom, 4000-6000 baht range, no neighbors prefer rural. 

Edited by at15

nowhere particular as long as its secluded

So let’s get this right, you will live anywhere within the biggest region in Thailand s long as you can hide away.
Mmmm, think I’ll pass on any recommendations with those criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

So let’s get this right, you will live anywhere within the biggest region in Thailand s long as you can hide away.

this is fear and paranoia, i just like my peace and quiet. my ex thai gf mother says i have good heart if it counts for anything. 

• Haha 1

Places with no neighbours are few and far between, as most Thai people would feel a bit scared/insecure if they had no neighbours.  Neighbours are important from a security perspective.

But anywho, look for a sign which says "เช่า" ("Chow" - Rent) or "เช่าบ้าน" ("Chow Baan" - Rent House).  They usually won't advertise the price for the house, so you'll need to ask them.  As yeah, you'll find places available if you just drive around the city/town that you like and look for the signs.  Alternatively of course, if you talk to one of the locals they might know of a few places.  For 4000 - 6000 you should be able to get what you want without too many problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would just like to ask the poster, is he aware that Isaan is almost the same size as the whole of England? If he is aware then surely he must have some idea of where he wants to go. Near to Bangkok? Near to Cambodia? Near to Laos?

Korat, Khon Kaen, Udon???

HL

14 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

I'm afraid we've got a new chainsaw candidate soon in our neighborhood? 

No Thai speaking skills, no wife, how the hell are you trying to live here? De nada. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, SlyAnimal said:

Places with no neighbours are few and far between, as most Thai people would feel a bit scared/insecure if they had no neighbours.  Neighbours are important from a security perspective.

But anywho, look for a sign which says "เช่า" ("Chow" - Rent) or "เช่าบ้าน" ("Chow Baan" - Rent House).  They usually won't advertise the price for the house, so you'll need to ask them.  As yeah, you'll find places available if you just drive around the city/town that you like and look for the signs.  Alternatively of course, if you talk to one of the locals they might know of a few places.  For 4000 - 6000 you should be able to get what you want without too many problems.

its a different mentality for sure, i have had my places called haunted or "have ghost" if its not surrounded by a bunch of noise. 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What do you consider secluded?

How close can the nearest house be to meet your requirements?

realistically anything over 100 meters is fine as long as its not on a main road. 

4 hours ago, happylarry said:

I would just like to ask the poster, is he aware that Isaan is almost the same size as the whole of England? If he is aware then surely he must have some idea of where he wants to go. Near to Bangkok? Near to Cambodia? Near to Laos?

Korat, Khon Kaen, Udon???

HL

just not near a dense population center

3 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

No Thai speaking skills, no wife, how the hell are you trying to live here? De nada. 

i've been here for a few years, still working on the language. 

Edited by at15

2 minutes ago, at15 said:

its a different mentality for sure, i have had my places called haunted or "have ghost" if its not surrounded by a bunch of noise. 

realistically anything over 100 meters is fine as long as its not on a main road. 

ideally somewhere in the loei mountains. avoid dense population centers. 

i've been here for a few years, still working on the language. 

The best way would be to travel through Isaan and settle down where you feel good. It's pretty easy to find a place to stay. 

I know of a place that's for sale in Kalasin if you were looking to buy, beautiful house/grounds, owner needs to move back to his home country for medical treatment.  He's been having trouble selling it though because it is so secluded, and thus no Thai people are interested.

Just asked my wife, there is a place that we know of that she thinks is still for rent here in RoiEt.  Neighbours on the same side of the road are probably more than 100m away (Even then, it's closest neighbour is a tractor shop, rather than an actual house if I remember correctly), neighbours across the road are probably around 100m away, but across the road.

It's next to a main road (2x lanes each side), so would have cars driving past pretty regularly.  I'm a bit dubious on whether you would get internet access there as it's so far out of the main town, but there is a small village on the other side of the main road, so it might be within range so long as the cables extend under the road.  No idea on price.  Ages since I even saw this house, as only rarely drive in that direction, but if you might be interested tell me and I can try to get more info.

1 hour ago, SlyAnimal said:

I know of a place that's for sale in Kalasin if you were looking to buy, beautiful house/grounds, owner needs to move back to his home country for medical treatment.  He's been having trouble selling it though because it is so secluded, and thus no Thai people are interested.

Just asked my wife, there is a place that we know of that she thinks is still for rent here in RoiEt.  Neighbours on the same side of the road are probably more than 100m away (Even then, it's closest neighbour is a tractor shop, rather than an actual house if I remember correctly), neighbours across the road are probably around 100m away, but across the road.

It's next to a main road (2x lanes each side), so would have cars driving past pretty regularly.  I'm a bit dubious on whether you would get internet access there as it's so far out of the main town, but there is a small village on the other side of the main road, so it might be within range so long as the cables extend under the road.  No idea on price.  Ages since I even saw this house, as only rarely drive in that direction, but if you might be interested tell me and I can try to get more info.

thanks sly. that kalasin house sounds like my kind of place if it was for rent. on the roi et house, a four lane road is just gonna be too much to be honest. 

thanks sly. that kalasin house sounds like my kind of place if it was for rent. on the roi et house, a four lane road is just gonna be too much to be honest. 

There are hundreds of properties in Isaan for sale or re-possession, but many are not for rent.When I was looking, I found the best place for info is a local ‘mom & pop’ shop. They usually know everyone’s ‘business’ (in Thai).

what do you guys think is a reasonable price to pay a taxi meter guy to drive around out in the boonies of an isaan province for a few hours looking for a rental house, assisting me calling numbers, etc. I was thinking of offering 2000 ?? i just dont know if this is enough motivation, most taxi guys in my experience what nothing to do with you if you cant speak thai. 

Edited by at15

what do you guys think is a reasonable price to pay a taxi meter guy to drive around out in the boonies of an isaan province for a few hours looking for a rental house, assisting me calling numbers, etc. I was thinking of offering 2000 ?? i just dont know if this is enough motivation, most taxi guys in my experience what nothing to do with you if you cant speak thai. 

Myfirst thoughts are 1/2 that but who knows how far you will need to transported??

1 minute ago, DILLIGAD said:

Myfirst thoughts are 1/2 that but who knows how far you will need to transported??

right thats what i was thinking but wanted to up it a bit for the motivation. i figure we will not come home until finding a decent house just to save face. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I do know of a farang estate agent in Ubon, but to be honest you want a place for peanuts that meets all your X's....?

thai style, no machines, no aircon, no flushing toilets, no hot water, no kitchen, eat on the floor, etc. only requirement is getting internet which seems easy nowadays. 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, DILLIGAD said:

So let's get this right, you mean that you have recommendations but, because you don't approve of his requirements, you won't pass them on? 

Get off your high horse, if you've really got recommendations why not give them to him, if you haven't why bother commenting on his criteria that affect you in no way at all?

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, jenny2017 said:

How is that anyone's business but his?  All he asked for were recommendations for rental properties.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, at15 said:

thai style, no machines, no aircon, no flushing toilets, no hot water, no kitchen, eat on the floor, etc. only requirement is getting internet which seems easy nowadays. 

Then I reckon a taxi will be your best option...In Ubon they now have metered taxis...

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 12:01 PM, at15 said:

I think a reasonable price to pay is to get him to turn his meter on when you get in the cab and then pay the fare posted on the meter at the end of the day when you get out! Amazing eh? Hows that sound?

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, at15 said:

Actually know of another secluded house that may still be available for rent in Roi Et.

Two storey 2/3 bed house in a half rai of land.

In a cul de sac, 300m off the main ring road, very few houses, nearest probably 50m away.

Open fields/woodland to the sides and rear.

Due to it's isolated spot and surroundings several visitors of the slithery kind tend to occasionally visit.

Previous tenant was a farang teacher, lived there several years.

Believe the rent is 5,000 baht.

Thais not interested, afraid of the ghosts.

Google maps: 16.033156, 103.649550

Edited by Tanoshi

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Actually know of another secluded house that may still be available for rent in Roi Et.

Two storey 2/3 bed house in a half rai of land.

In a cul de sac, 300m off the main ring road, very few houses, nearest probably 50m away.

Open fields/woodland to the sides and rear.

Due to it's isolated spot and surroundings several visitors of the slithery kind tend to occasionally visit.

Previous tenant was a farang teacher, lived there several years.

Believe the rent is 5,000 baht.

Thais not interested, afraid of the ghosts.

Google maps: 16.033156, 103.649550

"Thais not interested, afraid of the ghosts."  Not very educated locals. If they remove the bike tail light globe the ghosts can't follow them home.

• Like 1