buying meds at a pharmacy without a/c

watgate

I was wondering if it makes a big difference when buying meds at a pharmacy in Thailand if the establishment does not have air conditioning. I read in the past that a poster seemed to indicate that you should always buy meds at an air conditioned pharmacy because, according to the poster, it made a big difference in the effectiveness of the meds when you take them for their intended purpose. Any knowledgeable posters who care to render an opinion on this matter would be appreciated.

It is always best to buy from a pharmacy with a/c as exposure to heat can inactivate medications prior to their mormal expiration date.

Whether this will hsppen depends on the duration of time that the medication is exposed and the temperature.

Confitions during transport and in the stock room are at least as important as those in the atea where the drugs are sold but you have mo way of knowi g these. However a shop with a/c will usually have a/c store room.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

It is always best to buy from a pharmacy with a/c as exposure to heat can inactivate medications prior to their mormal expiration date.

Whether this will hsppen depends on the duration of time that the medication is exposed and the temperature.

Confitions during transport and in the stock room are at least as important as those in the atea where the drugs are sold but you have mo way of knowi g these. However a shop with a/c will usually have a/c store room.

1000%  correct...It always amazes me to see pharmacys with the door open and no air cond.  Many/most drug packaging will state to store at 25 or below 30c ...I have mentioned this to several pharmacist and they don't think it is a problem...Maybe they know more than the drug manufacturer ??  ha ha ...Of course, we have no way of knowing how long these meds were stored out of the 'safe-zone' but I never buy from any non-air cond. pharmacys. Also look for busier shops that tend to sell more and will have drugs with fresher dates....I wonder if many Thai girls get pregnant, who take the pill,  due to improper drug storage conditions.

• Like 1

I doubt thode who said this were actual pharmacists. Partly because a true pharmacist eould know better and partly because a pharmacy that doesn't invest in a/c is unlikely to invest in a pharmacist.

More often than not in Thailand the person behind the pharmacy counter is not a pharmacist; sometimes they have no training at all.

It makes a big difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even with AC working during the day nite time (when off) can get well above recommended storage conditions - which makes an argument for 24 hour pharmacy or those located in malls (even though mall will turn AC off temp is not likely to get as extreme).  

Do not believe storage is as big a concern these days if packaged in foil strips (as almost all meds are now) with an expiration date well in the future.  But if supplied from the big bottle would be much more concerned. 

In general do not believe it is too much of a risk at a normal drug store these days - would not have said the same 20 years ago.