O Visa Extension, Grandfather Status Murky

I'm confused with this grandfathering in of extensions. I am 32 years old. My wife is thai, 32. Our son is one year, 5 months old. I have always had the 400K+ in the bank. I draw money from my stock market account back home when needed. No work permit needed for here. When i got my first O visa last year it took immigration 3 months to approve the extension after applying when the 3 months had expired. In September i received the approval for a 6 month extension until March of this year. The date coincides with the day i first arrived with my o visa. I'm to reapply in March for my second one year extension, though the first one granted was really only 6 months due to the length of time it took to approve it. I called our towns immigration officer that we deal with and she told me that as long as i have the 400K in the bank 3 months ahead of time, which is right now it will be extended.

I'm shaking as i write this. I dont know what my wife and i will do if i cannot stay here.

here's the dates exactly...

Entry Date with Non Immig O : March 14, 2006

Began Application for yearly extension: Jun 11, 2006

Approval granted on Sept 22 for yearly extension until March 13, 2007

We have the 400K in the bank for over a year now and starting last month i am now depositing 50K a month for Jan, Feb, Mar in preparation for the application to show ability to support my wife and son.

We have the 400K in the bank for over a year now and starting last month i am now depositing 50K a month for Jan, Feb, Mar in preparation for the application to show ability to support my wife and son.

You are in the 'grandfather' system. Applications on or after 01 October are on the monthly income system.

Your town's immigration officer was telling you the truth. You were "in the system" on 1st Oct 2006 so you have nothing to worry about so far as the cash in the bank is concerned. I went up to Nong Khai Imi last month for my 6th annual extension for support of TW and my 400,000 K had been in my Kasikorn savings a/c for only two and half months. Either the Imi Officer didn't notice or it wasn't a problem. Anyway, nothing was said so I assumed it's OK.

Try not to worry too much. You'll be OK. I expect Lopburi 3 will be along shortly to shoot me down. mai pen rai.

As said you should not have any problem and there will be many who do not know about the 3 month requirement yet and they are not likely to have any problem either. The next time will likely be when it becomes imperative to have the 3 month record.

You are in the 'grandfather' system. Applications on or after 01 October are on the monthly income system.

Proof of account deposit from where? Do you have to show it as wired, or just deposit 40,000 baht a month in an account? Murky doesn't do this justice.

As said you should not have any problem and there will be many who do not know about the 3 month requirement yet and they are not likely to have any problem either. The next time will likely be when it becomes imperative to have the 3 month record.

What evidence supports this statement?

Good point, i was wondering about the 40K deposit as well. In trying to think ahead for this, my wife and i set up a joint bank acount here as i wanted to have both our names on the account book to reinforce our marital status for when immigration came knocking last year for the house visit stage of the process. I wanted to try to satisfy the proof of monthly income as best i could so beginning December i began wiring in 40K baht. It shows as a wire transfer from our joint bank account in Panama to our local Thai bank here via swift code bank to bank wire transfer.

So when we go in March; behind my chips at the roulette wheel i know i've tried my best to fill their requirements by having the 400K and 4 consecutive transfers of over 40K baht from joint account to joint account.

I don't know if that qualifies as proof of income since i do not have, nor do i require a work permit here. There are probably others here in the same sort of situation so i'll post in March as to whether the roulette ball fell on black or red.

Thank you Lopburi, you've made me feel a bit better. I just hate the "TIT" pharase that factors into everything here. Thanks all.

If you are grandfathered...

The option of money in the bank has to be there for three months (The 400K)

or

the 40K income. (You do not need to show the deposits into the bank.) Just the proof of income outside or inside Thailand. They don't accept as proof, just showing deposits of 40K per month.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com