Domestic Flight with Thai DL as ID

I've been using my Thai driver's license at check in at the airport for years, but apparently there's a rumor going around that foreigners are no longer able to do this and must show their passport or be denied boarding.  This is allegedly a recent development/change or rules.

Has anyone flying domestically (specifically on Air Asia) in the last week or so and encountered this problem?

Thanks!  ?

• Sad 1

I used my DL on a domestic flight 3 months ago. But like Deerhunter I take my passport when going upcountry. Only last week the hotel I stayed at in Lopburi insisted on my passport at checkin-in, saying it was specified on the TM form they had to fill in. I pretended I didn't have it and they were quite happy to settle for just the passport number. Other hotels have not been so accommodating.

Maybe the rumor has developed from a recent thread that foreigners at the domestic terminal in Don Mueang were checked by police for passport, proof of legal stay (which a DL is not).

The description sounded reasonable.

And why shouldn't it happen?

Crackdown on illegal foreigners is quite lively at least in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya. Happens in public "hotspots".

For me it is irrelevant anyway as I never do long distance trips/overnight/flights without passport.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

Is it such a big deal or hardship to carry your passport when traveling ?? Why would anyone even risk having a problem when traveling without your passport ? Are you afraid you will lose it ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The train station in CM does not accept Thai DL's anymore, only passport accepted , when I asked they said new rules.   This was back a year ago. 

29 minutes ago, how241 said:

Is it such a big deal or hardship to carry your passport when traveling ?? Why would anyone even risk having a problem when traveling without your passport ? Are you afraid you will lose it ??

Short answer, yes.  It's a lot safer in its hidden compartment back home in my apartment than it is in any hotel room or safe, or in my pocket out in public.    And some countries aren't as friendly or timely as others about replacing lost or damaged or stolen passports, especially if it's a recurring event.  So, where I have a history of getting by with my DL, the passport stays home.  If I'm not sure, the passport goes with me, to be pulled out if required. 

So far, I've never needed it traveling or staying in hotels domestically in Thailand.  The DL has always been adequate.  That's not to say I won't need it tomorrow, but I'd risk that before I'd risk losing my PP to loss, theft or damage from water.

Although I carry my passport just in case I always produce my DL- never had a problem at CM, UTP, Swampy or Hkt. The hotels I stay in have never made an issue of me producing my DL either.

The more often I produce my passport the more often I have a chance to lose it so it stays in a completely separate back bit of my bum bag. Far less hassle to get a replacement DL if things go wrong. If I desperately need to produce the Pport it is on hand.

Last flight was 29 Jun and had no issues with DL as ID.

Also all police checks when I drove to and from Hkt to CM over the past few weeks had no issue with me producing DL and not one asked for Pport.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Short answer, yes.  It's a lot safer in its hidden compartment back home in my apartment than it is in any hotel room or safe, or in my pocket out in public.    And some countries aren't as friendly or timely as others about replacing lost or damaged or stolen passports, especially if it's a recurring event.  So, where I have a history of getting by with my DL, the passport stays home.  If I'm not sure, the passport goes with me, to be pulled out if required. 

So far, I've never needed it traveling or staying in hotels domestically in Thailand.  The DL has always been adequate.  That's not to say I won't need it tomorrow, but I'd risk that before I'd risk losing my PP to loss, theft or damage from water.

Simple solution to your concerns is to carry a photocopy of your passport which should satisfy everyone.

A hotel refused my driving licence the other day, fortunately I always have a copy of PP in the car.

14 hours ago, Tofer said:

A hotel refused my driving licence the other day,

Which means that this hotel follows its obligations.

Copies are always with me even when traveling by car in the district/province only.