Hammer coming down USA retirement ?

16 hours ago, NancyL said:

For years I used the 800,000 baht in the bank method because I was too young to start my pension.  The money just sat in the Thailand bank, untouched, from year-to-year.  One year the Chiang Mai imm. officer asked me how I had money to live since I never touched the deposit, so yes I was asked about my source of income.  I replied that my husband's pensions are sufficient to support both of us, would you like to see.  I pulled out our joint Bangkok Bank passbook, opened it to a page where he could see it was an active account with a mid-six figure balance and showed it to him.  He just waved it away.  He just wanted to know if I had a good story and to see if I'd squirm in case I was working illegally.

Other years there were questions about how I spent my time in Thailand.  Part of this was maybe because I said I was studying Thai language and the officer was delighted to try to have a conversation in Thailand.  I made a point of saying how I had lunch with friends, went shopping, cooked for my husband, played with our cats, etc and avoided what could be interpreted as volunteer work.

Yah, you bring up an important point.  If the money is sitting there, exactly how is one living?  good post

This is the worst time of year for me. Old is hard, waiting in line. It's an all. Day excursion. Not sure how much longer I can do it. 

Thai do not care or sympathetic toward crippled, sick. Once told me ambulances bring some in on beds. Never seen that yet. Have you? 

On 7/23/2018 at 10:19 AM, Sheryl said:

In fact, those using the ATM withdrawal approach might need to start saving all their ATM receipts....

this may come as a shock for some,  because the print on ATM receipts will dissapear due to it's low lightfastness  really quick within a short spell of time

2 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

this may come as a shock for some,  because the print on ATM receipts will dissapear due to it's low lightfastness  really quick within a short spell of time

Yes, if you really need ATM receipts to document anything for more than a limited period, they need to be scanned.