Work Permits and March 2018 Decree

Link to the relevant article below.

The most significant changes under the Decree No. 2 are as follows:

A. The following non-Thais can carry out certain activities in Thailand without a work permit:

(2) a non-Thai who enters into Thailand to: operate a business; make an investment; or who has knowledge, ability, or skills that are considered beneficial to the development of the country;

Does this mean if I operate a business I no longer need a work permit? This would be a massive change (wouldn't need 4 Thai employees etc) so I'm not sure it would be interpreted quite as simply as it seems to be stated.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-law-working-without-a-work-permit-now-possible-67692.php#SfBjiOvjST29Xo3Z.99

https://www.bakermckenzie.com/en/insight/publications/2018/04/new-amendments-to-the-work-permit-law

1 minute ago, kane666 said:

Does this mean if I operate a business I no longer need a work permit?

That would depend upon how operate is interpreted.

If you are involved in day to day activities at the business that would be more than what they mean by operate IMO.

I think it means attending a directors meeting or occasionally giving instructions to the management of the business.

The meetings point was also covered in the decree:

A. The following non-Thais can carry out certain activities in Thailand without a work permit:

(1) a non-Thai who comes to Thailand on a short-term periodic basis to: hold or to attend a meeting, lecture, seminar, training, exhibition of art or culture, or sports competition; provide an opinion; inspect work of others; or, any other activities, as prescribed by the Council of Ministers.

So I guess it would come down to the actual wording and interpretation of the decree. Google 3 different websites and you get 3 different wordings:

1.a non-Thai who enters into Thailand to: operate a business;
2.foreigners who enter Thailand to engage in business or investment;

3.Foreigners who enter Thailand for the purpose of establishing a business or investment,

I think we can agree all 3 give quite different impressions!

51 minutes ago, kane666 said:

(1) a non-Thai who comes to Thailand on a short-term periodic basis to: hold or to attend a meeting, lecture, seminar, training, exhibition of art or culture, or sports competition; provide an opinion; inspect work of others; or, any other activities, as prescribed by the Council of Ministers.

So I guess it would come down to the actual wording and interpretation of the decree. Google 3 different websites and you get 3 different wordings:

3.Foreigners who enter Thailand for the purpose of establishing a business or investment,

You can forget about operating a business without a work permit.

1 hour ago, kane666 said:

You don't need to discuss about the wording of english sources, because everything that matters is the original Thai source.

But somehow none of the linked sources in this thread provide the original source, which makes them look quite unprofessional.

Does anybody have the original in Thai? I couldn't find it yet

• Like 1