Phishing attempt?

cheeryble

Hi I just got a mail suggesting a purchase was being made with my Apple ID from a previously unassociated device.

A PDF was addended wi details and showed a purchase of something called PUBG MOBILE for $99.99.

The mail came from

Apple Notice

Whose address details are

[email protected]

And was addressed to

[email protected]

The mail didn’t greet me by name but said Dear Customer

At the bottom I clicked Apple Support and also Privacy Policy and dit didn't seem to link.

On the PDF it had "click here" to cancel...didn’t seem to link also

It looks professional no spelling mistakes.

The odd thing is they haven’t asked for any of my details.....so what Would be the point?

What should be my next action?

I think I can post screenshots without giving any personal details if that’s helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, dirtynomad said:

you might want to run anti-virus and anti-malware on your device.......sounds like they just wanted you to download a trojan horse. 

Yes I just spoke to a very computer literate friend and he said even clicking to open the PDF could theoretically expose me (also said they might just be finding who may be active recipient addresses).

I clicked the open PDF thingy on my iPad mini.

What sort of thing would i use to check or clean that.....or are iOS devices impregnable enough to not bother?

Edited by cheeryble
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, blazes said:

The moral of this story is becoming ever more frequent: if you have the slightest suspicion of ANYthing in your inbox, just delete it.

My Apple devices do a very good jog of citing junk mail. There is nothing that is unknown by me that is opened. Jeez, the pharaceudical renewals, security needs updating notices, the orders processing notices. I just trash and dump them. No way should anyone even click on any of these notices. They are phishing for information, including your validating your email address....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

Yes I just spoke to a very computer literate friend and he said even clicking to open the PDF could theoretically expose me (also said they might just be finding who may be active recipient addresses).

What sort of thing would i use to check or clean that.....or are iOS devices impregnable enough to not bother?

should be ok on an ipad mini.

• Like 1

Never click on a link from a suspicious email. Just open up a browser, and type the address of the site in. There would be a message there, if someone bought something on your account.

The same process is advised for any bank account, Facebook, etc.

• Like 1

If your concerned look on Apple website for Customer Care fraud? 

They may ask you to send a copy of email.....

i had had a worse cause last week. Email started out I know some of your password and user code. Both were correct but I’ve not used them

in long time. It gave three options two which would make them do something to all your contacts. 

one was demand for $7000 USD to stop the problem...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Hi I just got a mail suggesting a purchase was being made with my Apple ID from a previously unassociated device.

A PDF was addended wi details and showed a purchase of something called PUBG MOBILE for $99.99.

The mail came from

Apple Notice

Whose address details are

[email protected]

And was addressed to

[email protected]

No question that it was phishing as that app is free

IMG_4529.thumb.PNG.c97ca1c1173eb0e0722b3f5134a198f1.PNGit has an in app purchase, though I don't know the $ amounts 

IMG_4530.thumb.PNG.59157081f51ad5ff3e3ce8668dda566f.PNG

but you would have had to install the game to make that purchase.

• Like 1

The general advice is never open attachments in email unless you requested them.

Never click an link in an email. 

If you are getting mail that you have requested then links can be OK 

The from address that apple  typically uses is

[email protected]

that is "no_reply at email.apple.com"

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Clicking to see what the email is has told the sender that your email is active and that you are the type to open unsolicited emails.  So your address now goes on a list that is more valuable when sold to other internet marketers and scammers.

It is important that you mark this type of email as spam, even after you've opened it.   

It is also important that when you get emails you don't recognise, do not click links in them, and do not under any circumstances open any attachments.   Not clicking links includes not clicking on the unsubscribe link.   What you should do first is mark the message as spam, then delete it.   

• Like 1

I get these phishing attempts quite frequently - "Your account has been locked", "Your online purchase .. " etc. If you're unsure, log in to your Apple account etc. via your browser (not any link provided in the dubious message) and check - if you can gain access, your account's not locked etc. Never open any attachments.

Forward them - including attachments - to [email protected] and you might help in reducing them.

• Like 1

I received an e-m yesterday supposedly from Hotmail into my HM account saying due to not updating my details for a long time my account would be terminated within 24 hours...

I reported it as a phishing scam...

and then today Lo and Behold....Everything was fine..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blazes said:

The moral of this story is becoming ever more frequent: if you have the slightest suspicion of ANYthing in your inbox, just delete it.

And CHANGE YOUR APPLE PASSWORD ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A CARD registered in ITunes 

Also if you have not already done it initiate the two step password system.

At least then if you have opened one of these Eastern European scam emails by the time you realise it is a scam you will only have given away 50% of the information they are trying to get before they ask for your card details which will open your bank account to them.

if you have given information already you must contact your bank to inform them and get a new card and number NOW

• Like 1

where is the email from?

go to your email box, hold your cursor over the originator of the email, but do not click.  in a couple seconds the email address will appear.

will probably be something like applecustomerservice*at*bobsboogers.xy.ru

just checked my junk mail box, got an ad for a prescription to the wall street journal.

hovering the cursor over the email originator, in this case "The WSJ" shows "thewsj*at*hadlee.dezcount.com"

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Like 1

Have had hundreds of those, they come daily. Never click on attachments!! Forward to report-phisning, Apple has an email address for those ...

OP, I fear that your computer has been affected. What else would be the point? Sending phony invoices? These perps are not that innocent. They want your digital ID. Passwords, credit card details, Google Wallet contents and all.

Change your passwords, stay offline, if you can use some other machine?

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 1:09 PM, cheeryble said:

Well today I got a follow up:

IMG_4322.JPG.7711cd4a9467f42b9f7208d947f65c9e.JPG

Do we agree I need to change my Apple ID password as one poster has suggested as ive given no information.?

The detailed address of Apple Support was:

nenmoreacensorientertainmenemernammno80000900037@limitedaccess261.com

It's just a standard phishing mail, tell Mail that it's junk. If you are getting quit a lot of those then you should consider buying "SpamSieve" as it can learn what is spam like this. I may be getting mail like that but SpamSieve is filtering it for me. 

Another way way I can tell is that the spam emails arrive at an email address that I've given to a different company who has clearly had a database breach. My first line of defence is that each company and person gets a different email address so spam is very often simple to detect.

just changing you Apple ID password isn't enough (you almost certainly don't need to but it can't hurt) you should as a minimum turn on 2 factor authentication and if you can use a different email address for your Apple ID.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, cheeryble said:

Ha!

now i just had this appear on my macbook screen.

Presume it's bull?

Screenshot 2018-08-11 13.54.53.jpg

Frankly anyone who believes anything with the domain name game4895.check-bmcmoney95.loan  shouldn't even be using a computer.

• 1 month later...

Frankly anyone who believes anything with the domain name game4895.check-bmcmoney95.loan  shouldn't even be using a computer.

Just had a repeat of my last post.....you have a virus.....click ok to repair.....which was triggered by a genuine link in an email from a genuine friend.
It was in Safari.
(The good news is it’s been well over a month since the last one so this is not the end of the world)
I restarted the MacBook, having ticked reopen windows.
It did reopen, and again had the offending article.
I restarted again, unticking reopen windows.
A clean and empty Safari opened.
First I started by typing the link into the URL box and enter.
It opened just fine.
Second in a new tab I opened same page from the link.
This time no offending article.
No big deal, but I thought I’d record it.
The only prob is one loses ones tabs though one can look through history and dig these out.