Non "O" Visa in Veintane

In discussion with a friend, I was led to believe that the Thai Embassy in Vientane is a good place to get my Non "O" Visa based on retirement qualifications. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is that still true?

2) I will get an Income Affidavit from the US Embassy in Bangkok. Does that need to be notarized? If so by who? The US Embassy provides notary services or does it need to be a Thai Notary? If Thai, can you recommend a Thai Notary service close to the US Embassy in Bangkok?

3) In addition to the Income Affidavit will I need to show bank statements at the Thai Embassy? Will statements from my US bank suffice?

4) On the Thai Embassy Vientane website, on requirements for a retirement visa they list (see attached) among other things:

a) "Evidence of criminal background checks from the country of residence." Is that for real and where the heck do I get that?

b) "Medical Certificate", I assume I can use the same sort I got for my Thai Drivers License?

That's all I can think of right now. If you can think of anything extraordinary I need to know before going there, please let me know!

Thanks for your help!

Retirement Visa Requirements - Vientane.pdf

1 hour ago, Rig Pig said:

2) I will get an Income Affidavit from the US Embassy in Bangkok. Does that need to be notarized? If so by who? The US Embassy provides notary services or does it need to be a Thai Notary? If Thai, can you recommend a Thai Notary service close to the US Embassy in Bangkok?

You have to do the affidavit at the US embassy or the consulate in Chiang Mai.

Info here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/

You will need an appointment when you do it.

1 hour ago, Rig Pig said:

3) In addition to the Income Affidavit will I need to show bank statements at the Thai Embassy? Will statements from my US bank suffice?

4) On the Thai Embassy Vientane website, on requirements for a retirement visa they list (see attached) among other things:

a) "Evidence of criminal background checks from the country of residence." Is that for real and where the heck do I get that?

b) "Medical Certificate", I assume I can use the same sort I got for my Thai Drivers License?

3. You will need nothing more.

4. If you went to Savannakhet or Penang you would not need those.

a. You can use Thai police clearance certificate that can take a month to get.

b. Yes

Are you aware you could get the non immigrant visa (category O) if you are on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry at a immigration office. You will need at least 15 days remaining on your current entry. Requirements here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Thank you for your response. Two follow up questions:

1) Why the preference for the US Embassy in Chiang Mai as opposed to the one in Bangkok? Either works for me, I'm just curious.

2) I am currently on a 60 day tourist visa, and was planning on getting a 30 day extension. Will it be ok to do my application for the non immigrant visa (Category O) at the immigration office here 15 days before the 30 day extension expires?  That's purely for logistic reasons.

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Rig Pig said:

1) Why the preference for the US Embassy in Chiang Mai as opposed to the one in Bangkok? Either works for me, I'm just curious.

Not a preference. Just informing you that it possible in Chiang Mai as well as in Bangkok.

12 minutes ago, Rig Pig said:

2) I am currently on a 60 day tourist visa, and was planning on getting a 30 day extension. Will it be ok to do my application for the non immigrant visa (Category O) at the immigration office here 15 days before the 30 day extension expires?  That's purely for logistic reasons.

You could could do it while on the extension as long as you have 15 days remaining.