‘Wild Boars’ finish ordination as Buddhist novices

‘Wild Boars’ finish ordination as Buddhist novices

By The Nation

bea634c2caf58af8c29e8feff5a8cb27.jpeg

Eleven “Wild Boar” footballers left their nine-day ordination as Buddhist novices on Saturday morning, in which they made merit for their hero, an ex-Navy Seal who died during their rescue from the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai.

Eleven of the 12 previously trapped footballers, plus their assistant coach, undertook the ordination. Footballer Adul Samon, who spoke in English to the British divers when the group was discovered, is a Christian.

The 11 Mu Pa novices took part in a rite to leave the ordination at 9.20am at Wat Phra That Doi Wao in Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai province.

The assistant coach did not leave his monkhood, deciding to instead remain ordained thoughout the three-month-long Buddhist Lent.

The 12 chose to be ordained to make merit for Lt-Commander Saman Kunan, 38, who died in the cave on his way back from delivering oxygen tanks to the Mu Pa team.

The boys were found 10 days after they went missing on June 23 in the flooded Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai. Saman was the only casualty in the 17-day multinational operation which captured the world’s attention.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30351441

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-04

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

the opposite, IMO

the quiet calm time away from the attention they would had being subjected at home gave them a chance to readjust.

If you call being abused by head monks "quiet calm" that's up to you...

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

If you call being abused by head monks "quiet calm" that's up to you...

I have never done it but  I thought it involved meditation and the like, 

How was it when you did it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

In what way did  the Monks "abuse" the boys ?

This way : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/10130437/Buddhist-monks-arrested-over-Thai-child-sex-abuse-claims.html

No brainer if you ask me, unless you have delusions. These priests aren't any better than the catholics and they have an endless supply of victims. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

There is a connection: the clergy.

There is no connection between the clergy in your story and the Monks at the boys Temple .

Lets not yet have yet another discussion about underage sex .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There is no connection between the clergy in your story and the Monks at the boys Temple .

Lets not yet have yet another discussion about underage sex .

It is about child abuse. It is about saving them from the cave only to hand them over to corrupt clergy...

Why is that what is meant to be pleasant news story about the kids finishing their spell as novice monks - turns into a darker side on Thai Visa? 

There are some bitter and twisted people out there - who most likely don’t live here, perhaps have a grudge or really have no idea whatsoever about the culture in the Kingdom - and I always suspect are from the USA - not a pleasant country. 

1 minute ago, peterb17 said:

Why is that what is meant to be pleasant news story about the kids finishing their spell as novice monks - turns into a darker side on Thai Visa? 

There are some bitter and twisted people out there - who most likely don’t live here, perhaps have a grudge or really have no idea whatsoever about the culture in the Kingdom - and I always suspect are from the USA - not a pleasant country. 

were doing well until you also turned to the "dark side of Thai visa" with your US comment, I am from the US and is the strongest supporter of sending the kids to the watt in this  forum.