Residence certificate in Bangkok if staying in a hotel?

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

If they accept your 90 day reports for this address they will probably also issue you a certificate of residence for it

what's that?

is that different from the rest of the country where they don't require those reports?

Edited by chado

If you stay in Thailand for more than 90 days you have to report your address to the immigration

After you have done such a report the immigration in Bangkok is willing to issue you a certificate of residence

If you are in Thailand on a tourist visa (or simply haven't been in the country for at least 90 days) you can't get one in Bangkok, but depending on from which country you are your embassy might issue you one

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

A foreigner staying at a hotel does not have to submit the form TM.30. The hotel must notify his arrival to the immigration office.

IFAIK, the TM30 have no connection to a 90 day report. However, I can be wrong or maybe you mean something different?

6 hours ago, chado said:

then  my question still remains.

As said, if immigration accepts your 90 day report, you would have no problem with having a residence certificate in my opinion. Some random offices have told that they not issue them, though.

The 90 dya report is something you have to do if you live on a 1 year extension in Thailand. If you have a non-o multiple entry or METV, you will leave the country one time every 60 or 90 day instead. All other visas for staying legally in Thailand includes a visit to immigration or that you apply for a new visa within the same time frame.

What I believe is that if you life on tourist visa in Thailand, and staying in hotel with paying day by day, it will leave it much up to the discretion of the immigration officer. Some might give it to you, while other see a chance to point out that you do not qualify.

9 hours ago, chado said:

then  my question still remains.

Bangkok immigration will not do certificate of residency unless you are doing reports of staying longer than 90 consecutive days to them. To stay long enough to do them you would need to be on a extension of stay or a visa that allows a stay longer than 90 days in the country.

If on a tourist visa or a visa exempt or a non immigrant visa that only allows a stay of 90 days or less you will not be able to get a certificate of residency there

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chado said:

Then my only option is to move to any other region of the country and get a certificate there?

I think you will find most immigration offices wont do a resident certificate on a tourist visa because you are not a resident (doing 90 day reports) , you are a tourist. A resident certificate is exactly that, a certificate that says you reside in thailand for longer than 90 days.

A guy came from Chiang Mai to buy a motorbike off me in Jomtien. He needed a residents cert. (he knew nothing about these things). I told him to book in at a local hotel and bring the receipt to Soi 5 and get the cert. He got it no problem. One thing though, they said they would give it to him but it would have been more correct if he had booked for at least 3 nights.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

A guy came from Chiang Mai to buy a motorbike off me in Jomtien. He needed a residents cert. (he knew nothing about these things). I told him to book in at a local hotel and bring the receipt to Soi 5 and get the cert. He got it no problem. One thing though, they said they would give it to him but it would have been more correct if he had booked for at least 3 nights.

Would they also give a residence certificate without having a TM30?

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find most immigration offices wont do a resident certificate on a tourist visa because you are not a resident (doing 90 day reports) , you are a tourist. A resident certificate is exactly that, a certificate that says you reside in thailand for longer than 90 days.

don't think too much.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, chado said:

what's that?

is that different from the rest of the country where they don't require those reports?

3 hours ago, chado said:

don't think too much.

You seem to be quite the charmer.

You asked for advice and people are responding. Why not give it a try with immigrations and see what happens if you don't like what you "hear" here. With your delightful attitude I bet you'll be a big hit. 

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Did he ride the motor bike back from Pattaya to Chiang Mai ? That’s a hell of a trip. 

In my CoR from Patong Immigration it is not stated i reside there longer than 90 days.

Related to this, after a hotel visit in BKK, where they report your stay, are you required to file another TM30 when I return 'home' to long time residence, where 90 day reports are made?   hits me next week & word is that people are getting fined.

2 hours ago, 1130bobs said:

Related to this, after a hotel visit in BKK, where they report your stay, are you required to file another TM30 when I return 'home' to long time residence, where 90 day reports are made?   hits me next week & word is that people are getting fined.

I depends upon how pedant your immigration office is. They would have to check the database where the reports are stored to find out you had stayed in a hotel. Most do not bother or try to enforce it.

14 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

You seem to be quite the charmer.

Right. I seem.

14 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

You asked for advice and people are responding.

The sky is blue. The grass is green. A dog can bark. gav-gav

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Why not give it a try with immigrations and see what happens if you don't like what you "hear" here. With your delightful attitude I bet you'll be a big hit. 

You have too much of imagination. I've already tried that's why I know that you're talking gibberish.

4 hours ago, 1130bobs said:

What I´ve got as answer from Immigration is that a stay at hotel is a temporary stay that the hotel report when you check in as well as when you check out. What they said was that when your hotel report ends, that makes your own latest TM30 report automatically active again as long as you didn´t leave the country.

Edited by Get Real

18 hours ago, Get Real said:

What I´ve got as answer from Immigration is that a stay at hotel is a temporary stay that the hotel report when you check in as well as when you check out. What they said was that when your hotel report ends, that makes your own latest TM30 report automatically active again as long as you didn´t leave the country.

The hotel only notifies the arrival of foreigners to immigration, not their departure.

On 8/5/2018 at 12:28 PM, Peterw42 said:

A friend of mine got one in phuket a month ago. His planned stay is 2 months and got it on his 3rd day in the country. He did have a Apec card. Not sure if that carried any extra weight. 

On 8/4/2018 at 10:28 PM, Peterw42 said:

so what is the resident certificate used for? say I am on a visa extension due to retirement.

16 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

so what is the resident certificate used for? say I am on a visa extension due to retirement.

Usually proof of address required to get license, own a vehicle, open bank accounts, yellow book etc.

• Like 1