Sterling drops on Brexit fears, trade tensions boost dollar

webfact

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The fall of the pound isn't across all countries.

Vietnam and Philippines exchange rates are nearly the same now as they were before.

Thai Baht is very strong, and all western countries are worse off since the Brexit vote, I surprised some remainers aren't claiming the Brexit vote is threatening the whole civilized western world.

I read am article a few weeks ago that remainers said Brexit will cause an outbreak of super STDs.... That's how full of rubbish and scaremongering they are.  Everything else they said has not come to fruutition,  even Carnage Carney agreed project fear got it wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

I read am article a few weeks ago that remainers said Brexit will cause an outbreak of super STDs.... That's how full of rubbish and scaremongering they are.  Everything else they said has not come to fruutition,  even Carnage Carney agreed project fear got it wrong. 

"I read am article a few weeks ago that remainers said Brexit will cause an outbreak of super STDs." :cheesy: :cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

3 remainers. with project fear talking crap who are doomsday preppers. Thankfully people can see through the smell. The government stock piling food and water. Fake news at its worst.

Thank God for JRM who will save us at the last minute. There is no iceberg HMS Britannia is unsinkable - full steam ahead. Don't need those lifeboats or lifejackets - bringon a hard Brexit - getting all excited at the prospect......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Excellent. Sometimes this is referred to as the law of unintended consequences. There are a number of cross-European bodies with spin-off implications. Should be interesting how this plays out, but would think that a lot may be potentially covered in a Soft Brexit. It is the Hard Brexit with the worse risks it appears. Mind you Hard Brexiteers should be OK as so many of them have lost the will to indulge. Grumpiness is the new sex.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 8:31 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

That bastion of truth and journalism.

it's publicised in many media outlets but that's irrelevant,  it's the source of the blatant lies and scaremongering going on to try and derail Brexit. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, baansgr said:

As I live on THB XE is irrelevant to me.  yes this is about the only prediction project fear got right....of course with shed loads of help from Carney

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I think that comes under the argument that goes 

.... you Jack, I’m fire proof.

Actually the one practical thing that contributors can do is consider their currency exposure. Nevertheless there cannot be too many Brits not exposed to the vagaries of Sterling given an overwhelming reliance on pensions paid in pounds.

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Actually the one practical thing that contributors can do is consider their currency exposure. Nevertheless there cannot be too many Brits not exposed to the vagaries of Sterling given an overwhelming reliance on pensions paid in pounds.

Agreed, but do the maths on how much money you need to hedge against currency fluctuations.

Well beyond the means of all but the very wealthy.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:42 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Well worth a listen from folk who do business rather than crass sloganeering - far past caring now all those working class folk cheering on Boris / Rees-Mogg and the other toffs screwing the country and enriching themselves on the back of Brexit chaos will get their just desserts. Starting with expats and the pound. 

Kind of funny. For some reason I thought these folks were for Brexit, against EU unity. As they, from the start sounded like reasonable people, I wanted to listen to real people's  thoughts who support Brexit.. so I listened a bit further.

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Agreed, but do the maths on how much money you need to hedge against currency fluctuations.

Well beyond the means of all but the very wealthy.

With no exchange commissions, small-time hedging can be undertaken by those with relatively limited savings. Maybe no big gains but some cushion in the event of a sudden lurch south is possible for many.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, baansgr said:

CPI for September will be interesting when benefits etc receive increases. Possibly another  rate rise sooner than one expects. 

My pension rise is based on the RPI for August. Expecting around 3.5%.

Need something to offset the damage done to the GBP by Brexit.

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My pension rise is based on the RPI for August. Expecting around 3.5%.

Need something to offset the damage done to the GBP by Brexit.

RPI probably will be,  that was another  rip off changing  state benefits and civil service pensions to CPI

• Like 2

5 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I voted remain precisely because I knew that a leave vote would damage Sterling . It's present predicament is not because of Carney's comments , ' project fear ' or anything else other than the markets unease at the uncertainty caused by Brexit. 

I do think though that the level of Sterling has now pretty much bottomed out and we will see a sharp upturn as soon as a deal is struck.

I wouldn't be betting too much that sterling has bottomed out in the event of a disorderly exit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

This is pure Hogwash. The Brexit result was announced on a Friday and by Monday the Pound had already fallen by 11% and has continued falling ever since. There has not been any surge in the value of the pound although its fall may have slowed a little at times. It has now fallen by more than 20%

I think he was quoting a more recent event rather than the actual Brexit result 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I wouldn't be betting too much that sterling has bottomed out in the event of a disorderly exit.

Could get worse, maybe a lot worse,  the thing is,  output employment etc is all reasonably good so no real reason why the markets are shunning  GBP.  Forex  is a gamble same as anything. Although I'm on Thai Baht,  I would like to buy a bigger property and have a hefty pension vesting early next year but no way at present would I think of any transfer from GBP

59 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Could get worse, maybe a lot worse,  the thing is,  output employment etc is all reasonably good so no real reason why the markets are shunning  GBP.  Forex  is a gamble same as anything. Although I'm on Thai Baht,  I would like to buy a bigger property and have a hefty pension vesting early next year but no way at present would I think of any transfer from GBP

I believe markets are currently selling GBP as they are upping the likelihood risk of a no-deal Brexit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

You believe Sterling/Baht will improve?

You might verywell be looking at the best rate you’ll see for the decade of hard times that even Brexiteers believe is a sacrifice worth making.*

* = A sacrifice Brexiteers don’t mind visiting on other people. ( Refer the ‘.... you Jack, I’m fireproof’ argument above).

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You believe Sterling/Baht will improve?

You might verywell be looking at the best rate you’ll see for the decade of hard times that even Brexiteers believe is a sacrifice worth making.*

* = A sacrifice Brexiteers don’t mind visiting on other people. ( Refer the ‘.... you Jack, I’m fireproof’ argument above).

Brexiters are so selfish , they didnt even consider the ex-pats living in thailand receiving GBP and the effect the exchange rate would have on them when they voted, how selfish are they...............................

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Brexiters are so selfish , they didnt even consider the ex-pats living in thailand receiving GBP and the effect the exchange rate would have on them when they voted, how selfish are they...............................

Well perhaps they didn’t consider the exchange rate impacts on the cost of imported foods, goods, services, energy.