Korat mother devastated after witnessing daughter killed by speeding pickup

snoop1130

Korat mother devastated after witnessing daughter killed by speeding pickup

By The Nation

fbe61a814de2d15640cc0500dca06a47.jpeg

A mother in Nakhon Ratchasima broke down and collapsed after seeing her daughter hit and killed by a speeding pickup while crossing a road to catch a bus on Tuesday morning.

The accident happened at 8.15am on the Mittraparp road, in front of Moo 1 village in Tambon Don Chomphu in Non Sung district, police said.

They said Saichon Srichai, 40, had ridden her motorcycle to take her daughter, Chansiniee, 16, to the front of the village, where she crossed the road to catch a bus to her school in Mueang district.

The girl was a second-year student at Nakhon Ratchasima Vocational College, studying accountancy.

While the mother was watching Chansinee cross the road, a speeding pickup came from nowhere, hit her daughter and hurled her body several metres along the road. She died at the scene.

Saichon screamed and collapsed again and again, although she was revived by people at the spot.

The pickup stopped about 15 metres from the accident. 

Police took the driver, a male, away to face charges at Non Sung police station.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351653

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-7
  • Sad 3

14 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Firstly rest in peace to this poor girl.  Whilst it is a sad event the headlines could well be misleading as it states it was a speeding pick-up, came from nowhere yet stopped 15 meters from the incident. Below are some OZ stopping distance based on average reaction times for both wet and dry road conditions.  Coming from nowhere would indicate the driver would have only have seen the victim at the last minute. Based on this it indicates a vehicle speed far far less than the speed limit and far less than 40 KPH,  the minimum speed correlated in the chart.  Now given the fact that most Thais reactions are ,  what should we say,  delayed,  the vehicle was under no circumstances speeding.   Now given that Thais generally drive with less than average due care and attention,   what are the bets (if it were legal) that the driver of the pick-up was not speeding but most probably on the phone talking or possibly sending SMS.  No excuse of course and in a civilised country he would get a life driving ban and possibly 7 years inside by causing death through dangerous driving.  I fear however that as usual the sickner will be for the Mother to accept some payment in return for her daughters death,  the driver will get a 500 baht fine and give a Wai all around before he goes back to driving as "business as usual".  

Typical total stopping distances

We already know that a huge number of factors affect this, but let’s assume a medium-sized car with good tyres on a dry road:

Speed Reaction distance Braking distance Total stopping distance
40km/h 17m 9m 26m
50km/h 21m 14m 35m
60km/h 25m 20m 45m
70km/h 29m 27m 56m
80km/h 33m 36m 69m
90km/h 38m 45m 83m
100km/h 42m 56m 98m
110km/h 46m 67m 113m

And now if we take the same car on a wet road:

40km/h 17m 13m 30m
50km/h 21m 20m 41m
60km/h 25m 29m 54m
70km/h 29m 40m 69m
80km/h 33m 52m 85m
90km/h 38m 65m 103m
100km/h 42m 80m 122m
110km/h 46m 97m 143m

The figures above are from the Queensland Government Department of Transport and Main Roads as NZ Transport Agency does not give any definitive figures.

I had the same thought. When the car stopped after only 15m it wasn't speeding at all.

There might be a typo in the report, and instead of 15m it was 150m.

In that case the car was speeding for sure.

• Like 1

The poster's comments about the relationship between the likely speed of the pick-up and normal stopping distances are valid,  but would the impact with the poor girl's body have a material affect in shortening the stopping distance down to just 15m?  So sad for the poor girl, her family and particularly her mother, who was not only so unfortunate in losing a daughter but in actually witnessing the tragedy. 

If only the authorities would begin to take all these road deaths seriously and do something about them.  A great deal of fuss, quite rightly, was made about the loss of so many lives in the "Chinese" boat accident, in Phuket, with unfortunately the authorities' emphasis being on the effect on tourism rather than the tragic loss of life, but road deaths  (and serious injuries) happening every day affect so many more often innocent people, but as it apparently does not seem to affect tourism directly, police enforcement of traffic laws remain negligible and nobody seems to care. enough to take corrective action.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Why did the mother not drop her daughter off at

the other side of the road,too late now, RIP 

regards Worgeordie

Well, that would seem to have been a sensible thing to do, but might have involved taking a U-turn  possibly a km or so further up the road, meaning her daughter might have missed her school bus. Also, the girl was 16 years of age and, at that age, would normally be expected to be used to crossing the road without supervision.  However. we all know that almost anything can happen on Thai roads, most of which is almost unheard of in our own countries, due to totally different driver awareness here of (unenforced)  laws and road conditions.   I now no longer use a motor bike, for safety reasons, but still feel somewhat vulnerable whenever I venture out in my car trying to drive as safely as  possible, but, unfortunately, I am not the only one on the roads and some  drivers appear not to have the same intentions.

In Malaysia in busy area they build bridge for pedestrians also a side lane for motorbikes so it is a lot safer for motorbikes to cross to the other side.

Is it too expensive to build such bridge in Thailand?  I have not seen such bridge in Thailand do they have them?

27 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Why did the mother not drop her daughter off at

the other side of the road,too late now, RIP 

regards Worgeordie

she'll be asking herself that for the rest of her life, wishing she could go back in time, blaming herself for the death of her young daughter...she's gonna need therapy or some kind of help  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madusa said:

In Malaysia in busy area they build bridge for pedestrians also a side lane for motorbikes so it is a lot safer for motorbikes to cross to the other side.

Is it too expensive to build such bridge in Thailand?  I have not seen such bridge in Thailand do they have them?

There is a footbridge near DoHome in Udon. Never seen anyone use it. Prefer to dash across between traffic. And this is Highway 2.

So sad this story.

15 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Firstly rest in peace to this poor girl.  Whilst it is a sad event the headlines could well be misleading as it states it was a speeding pick-up, came from nowhere yet stopped 15 meters from the incident. Below are some OZ stopping distance based on average reaction times for both wet and dry road conditions.  Coming from nowhere would indicate the driver would have only have seen the victim at the last minute. Based on this it indicates a vehicle speed far far less than the speed limit and far less than 40 KPH,  the minimum speed correlated in the chart.  Now given the fact that most Thais reactions are ,  what should we say,  delayed,  the vehicle was under no circumstances speeding.   Now given that Thais generally drive with less than average due care and attention,   what are the bets (if it were legal) that the driver of the pick-up was not speeding but most probably on the phone talking or possibly sending SMS.  No excuse of course and in a civilised country he would get a life driving ban and possibly 7 years inside by causing death through dangerous driving.  I fear however that as usual the sickner will be for the Mother to accept some payment in return for her daughters death,  the driver will get a 500 baht fine and give a Wai all around before he goes back to driving as "business as usual".  

We already know that a huge number of factors affect this, but let’s assume a medium-sized car with good tyres on a dry road:

40km/h 17m 9m 26m
50km/h 21m 14m 35m
60km/h 25m 20m 45m
70km/h 29m 27m 56m
80km/h 33m 36m 69m
90km/h 38m 45m 83m
100km/h 42m 56m 98m
110km/h 46m 67m 113m

40km/h 17m 13m 30m
50km/h 21m 20m 41m
60km/h 25m 29m 54m
70km/h 29m 40m 69m
80km/h 33m 52m 85m
90km/h 38m 65m 103m
100km/h 42m 80m 122m
110km/h 46m 97m 143m

The figures above are from the Queensland Government Department of Transport and Main Roads as NZ Transport Agency does not give any definitive figures.

..we all know Thai roads are very fickle and can vary greatly when they drive on their surfaces.

17 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

she'll be asking herself that for the rest of her life, wishing she could go back in time, blaming herself for the death of her young daughter...she's gonna need therapy or some kind of help  

..it is probable that even if the mother did a u-turn to drop off her daughter; this speeding pick-up would have killed them both on the mum's motor cy..obviously the pick-up came out of nowhere and struck her..at 16yrs of age (RIP) her ability to assess the speed of an oncoming vehicle was probably not fully developed..a terrible thing.

Edited by tandor

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Did she watch out for traffic, before crossing the road?

Also my first thought. If the stopping distance doesn't suggest speeding then possibly driver distraction or the girl not looking. Happened in my village, a boy was run over as hadn't been taught how to cross safely. Even though it was an accident, the driver was blamed and agreed to pay the family 30k. I have run a few road safety lessons in 4 or 5 different sub-districts. Not one kid had ever been taught your basic 'stop, look, listen, think'...and it shows. Every morning and afternoon going to and from work I almost run over 3 or 4 kids who go to cross without looking. Many Thai drivers are also not so aware of road safety so where we are cautious, they just hit. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Also my first thought. If the stopping distance doesn't suggest speeding then possibly driver distraction or the girl not looking. Happened in my village, a boy was run over as hadn't been taught how to cross safely. Even though it was an accident, the driver was blamed and agreed to pay the family 30k. I have run a few road safety lessons in 4 or 5 different sub-districts. Not one kid had ever been taught your basic 'stop, look, listen, think'...and it shows. Every morning and afternoon going to and from work I almost run over 3 or 4 kids who go to cross without looking. Many Thai drivers are also not so aware of road safety so where we are cautious, they just hit. 

Yes-a very good post.

Not one Thai child that I knew had been taught about proper road safety either by their parents or,indeed,anyone else.

Yet another grotesque failure of the Thai (for what it is worth) education system.

No.."Look to right/left/right (or reverse)...

Given the fact that I was nearly flattened in the US (Winston Churchill was) I ruefully understand the importance of early training drilled into my numbskull..

The schools in Thailand have totally abandoned -if they ever possessed any notion of it in the first place-the safety of their children.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes-a very good post.

Not one Thai child that I knew had been taught about proper road safety either by their parents or,indeed,anyone else.

Yet another grotesque failure of the Thai (for what it is worth) education system.

No.."Look to right/left/right (or reverse)...

Given the fact that I was nearly flattened in the US (Winston Churchill was) I ruefully understand the importance of early training drilled into my numbskull..

The schools in Thailand have totally abandoned -if they ever possessed any notion of it in the first place-the safety of their children.

I do it holding my 2 year old when crossing the road (make her look left and right), but I also do it when she is walking at Tesco. At the end of each aisle I get her to stop and look left/right before continuing. Make her wait if trolleys or people are coming. Thai look at me like I am a nutter or the most strict father in the world as I am not letting her run around blind. Do it purely to get the habit of stopping and looking as she obviously cant fully comprehend the concepts yet. Lifelong habits are formed in the first 9 years of life from memory. Also a good way to teach left/right. 

Before moving here I used to ignorantly think that these things just came naturally, well not naturally, but not so much of an importance placed on them as we are taught them at an age we cannot really remember. Oh how I was wrong lol. 

Edited by wildewillie89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes-it is through training (a very bad concept in Thailand).

My B-i-L  let my young nephew (Thai) who has Down's Syndrome wander through the traffic until I clomped (I have one leg) across the road,grabbed him,and gave the Hong Thong swilling nincompoop a piece of my mind (Oh my God-the loss of face..!)

80 lives a lost per day due to these physically and intellectually lazy nincompoops..

There is no excuse.

They do not even care about the slaughter of their children.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

There is a footbridge near DoHome in Udon. Never seen anyone use it. Prefer to dash across between traffic. And this is Highway 2.

So sad this story.

If they prefer to dash across Highway 2 means the Thais are not good at risk assessment. They are totally ignorant of the high risk involved.

Motorbikes are the most dangerous vehicles on the road. They don't seem to know how to slow down when there is something in front of them within the distance that they could slow down to avoid accident. They seem to go full speed straight and bang on whatever is in front of them.

Is there any co-relation between poverty and taking risk in driving?(a part from the drink drive accidents).

In Thailand it appears to me the general population seem to think taking risk is normal.( like this young guy with a cigarette dangling in his mouth while he refill his motor bike with petrol). Even poor people will gamble with their last bit of money just doesn't make sense to me.

The Thais may be Buddhists but they have no access to the wisdom of Buddha, otherwise they wouldn't have behaved like that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

surly Karma can't be real if things like this happen, RIP to the girl 

Your statement makes no sense, things like this are the proof of karma. who knows who this girl happen to be in a past life

Guest Jerry787

i know that road very seldom to find someone at 60km/h usually every body above 80km/r, often 100/120km/h 

sad even of wrong city planning and road education, bridge pass safe life of several, very heavy fine and jail terms for over-speeding will deter people to run such high speed in cities.

2 minutes ago, Jerry787 said:

i know that road very seldom to find someone at 60km/h usually every body above 80km/r, often 100/120km/h 

sad even of wrong city planning and road education, bridge pass safe life of several, very heavy fine and jail terms for over-speeding will deter people to run such high speed in cities.

Plus a few nights in the clink.

That is what really scares Thais-it's the loss of their idiot "face" you see...

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

Your statement makes no sense, things like this are the proof of karma. who knows who this girl happen to be in a past life

well than karma makes no sense to me, how unfair and evil is that, a lovely little young girl has to die because of who she was in a past life ? pure evil that is

On 8/7/2018 at 8:49 PM, Esso49 said:

40km/h 17m 9m 26m
50km/h 21m 14m 35m
60km/h 25m 20m 45m
70km/h 29m 27m 56m
80km/h 33m 36m 69m
90km/h 38m 45m 83m
100km/h 42m 56m 98m
110km/h 46m 67m 113m

40km/h 17m 13m 30m
50km/h 21m 20m 41m
60km/h 25m 29m 54m
70km/h 29m 40m 69m
80km/h 33m 52m 85m
90km/h 38m 65m 103m
100km/h 42m 80m 122m
110km/h 46m 97m 143m

Poor  Chansiniee, may she rest in peace. I'm driving cars for over 40 years and I don't believe your statistic. 

Let's take the first one:  How can the reaction distance be longer than the actual braking distance? I don't think that I'd need that long to react. It's sad that Thais do not care and drive fast at bus stops, at hospitals, at schools.

I'm wondering why the cops don't check on those who don't give a rat's arse.  I always stop at the local hospital on my way to work to let people cross the road. And every time, people come from behind, take over and one time, an older lady almost got killed.

One of them was a car with cops, doing the same mistake. It makes me angry and I don't know why they don't think why I stopped. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

Failed country, cannot protect its youngest, or anyone else, on the worst roads in the world. But it’s not only roads ! The people have no sense of direction and don’t take due care when walking on sidewalk, shops etc. Engaged with mobile devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 hours ago, maximillian said:

I had the same thought. When the car stopped after only 15m it wasn't speeding at all.

There might be a typo in the report, and instead of 15m it was 150m.

In that case the car was speeding for sure.

The driver, who stopped, may have backed up to see if help could be rendered, and then reported as 15 meters away.

• Like 1

Social media is making children regress to mentality of three-year-olds, says top brain scientisthttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/05/social-media-regressing-children-mentality-three-year-olds-says/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_ArDqdRmDqFK7

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect