No election delay expected: Wissanu

snoop1130

By The Nation

00ec0723138fea7bb976446d56f6f6ae.jpeg

A move by legislators seeking to amend the Election Commission (EC) law is unlikely to result in further postponement of the general election but may affect the selection of senators, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Wednesday.

He allayed fears that amendment to the law could further delay the next election, which is now expected to be held early next year. 

“The timeframe for the election is stated in the Constitution. No law can postpone it,” said Wissanu, who is in charge of the government’s legal affairs.

However, he said that the selection of Senate members could be affected as the process would have to start as soon as new legislation on the Upper House’s structure takes effect. 

He noted that amending a law was a time-consuming process and he wondered if the proposed amendment would be completed in time for the senatorial selection.

“I think there could be some problem,” Wissanu said when asked if he expected any impact from the amendment.

The law on the Senate’s structure is expected to be effective around mid-September.

As part of the selection of 250 senators, the EC is required by the Constitution to hold an election among senatorial applicants to get a shortlist of 200 candidates. 

The ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) is empowered to appoint 50 senators from the shortlisted candidates. Of the remaining 200 senators, 194 will be appointed by the NCPO from 400 candidates nominated by a selection committee, and six others are military and police commanders.

A group of 36 National Legislative Assembly (NLA) members are seeking an amendment to the EC law regarding the appointment of election inspectors. The move came after the outgoing EC members started the selection of 616 election inspectors for all 77 provinces.

Supporters of the motion maintained that the present EC should wait for their successors to complete the appointment of election inspectors. But election commissioners argued that they needed to start the selection and appointment process in time for the next election.

Election inspectors have the main duty of checking for possible violations of the electoral law, warning officials failing to follow the rules, and reporting to the EC about violations and acts that prevent a free and fair election. 

They are also required to work when senatorial applicants elect candidates for the Upper House among them.

Wissanu said on Wednesday that he expected to discuss with new EC members about legal problems regarding the constitutional requirement for political parties to hold primary voting for their members to select election candidates.

He said the discussion could be held even before the new election commissioners’ appointment got royal endorsement.

Five out of seven EC members nominated were recently endorsed by the NLA. The five newly endorsed election commissioners last week elected their president, but their appointment requires royal endorsement before they can start performing their duties.

Political parties have been restricted by a junta ban on activities from making preparations for primary voting, such as recruiting enough party members in every province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351736

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-8
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

recurring nightmare that these guys are all my neighbors....

Looking at this guy's eyes I presume you could tell lots of stories about long parties for nights on end including serious alcohol abuse ...

Most of us have that mate who rarely comes out for a beer (cos of his missus) but always says he will. It's always fun to watch that said mate squirm as you keep confirming with him that he'll join but you know he won't. 

This reminds me of that situation. They will all keep taking turns to squirm. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

Most of us have that mate who rarely comes out for a beer (cos of his missus) but always says he will. It's always fun to watch that said mate squirm as you keep confirming with him that he'll join but you know he won't. 

This reminds me of that situation. They will all keep taking turns to squirm. 

A good one, thanks. Waiting for Godot comes to mind. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, greeneking said:

If the elected party is one of his "mates",  the "article 44 Democrats", or similar, and nothing will change. There will never be a democracy, not in my lifetime. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baboon said:

This is the piece of excrement who denied the promise to Trump of an election this year:

'He didn't say that and it was an off the cuff remark anyway'.

Despicable lying individual serving a despicable lying regime. Get stuffed.

Straight 2 footer in the gonads with that one Babs and no messing .. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Straight 2 footer in the gonads with that one Babs and no messing .. 

Well I might end up being punched in the face, but I do like to punch bullies right back in the face as and when I can.

Forget the Thais, even. As a member of the human race, I object to such specimens polluting our planet with their filth.

• Haha 1

Looking at the makeup of the Senate, how does democracy and military and police appointed senators work? 

They read a different book to me. 

Clearly designed to maintain a militarily controlled Government masquarading as a democracy very sad for a country I love. 

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

What a difference a comma would make!

So much neater, not an "off the cuff remark", a misunderstanding or a misquote - just a minor punctuation error... 

No flies on this chap! 

Must have done the homework to see if they can't lose. They have the opposition covered I would say ( Bribes and so on fixes that to keep mouth closed and the ones who give a bit of a wimp soon to be re-educated. So full steam ahead boys  And if by some chance somebody has the balls to tell the people what the real Thailand is all about and how much corruption the government is involved with and the people start listening to this guy and the tide is turning and victory not so sure there is always the bomb scare to fall back on  to justify election delay

On 8/8/2018 at 7:02 AM, snoop1130 said:

The ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) is empowered to appoint 50 senators from the shortlisted candidates. Of the remaining 200 senators, 194 will be appointed by the NCPO from 400 candidates nominated by a selection committee, and six others are military and police commanders.

So how does the general population figure into this process? Sure seems like a system to allow those in power to remain in power.

On 8/8/2018 at 7:02 AM, snoop1130 said:

Political parties have been restricted by a junta ban on activities from making preparations for primary voting, such as recruiting enough party members in every province.

Part of the plot to steal a country?