Navy help 177 tourists back from Koh Racha

webfact

Navy help 177 tourists back from Koh Racha

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__36372549-1.jpg

The Royal Thai Navy was called by tour operators on Koh Racha Yai yesterday (August 8 ) to help bring 177 Thais and tourists back to the Phuket Deep Sea Port following strong winds and high seas in the Andaman Sea.

The Royal Thai Navy Third Area Commander Admiral Somnuek Prempramot says, “At about noon yesterday (August 8 ) we were asked to help bring 161 tourists, including Chinese and Russians and 16 Thais, from Koh Racha Yai back to the Phuket Deep Sea Port. They were unable to get back due to the strong winds and waves up to 5 metres high.”

“They have been in Koh Racha since Monday (August 6). Some of them were scheduled to leave Phuket last night. By 10.10pm last night (August 8 ) they were all safely ashore at the Phuket Deep Sea Port. It took about 4 hours for the journey due to the poor weather. Normally it would only take 90 minutes.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/navy-help-177-tourists-back-from-koh-racha

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-08-09

Somewhat reminiscent of the decommed US Navy Frigates (OH Perry class). 

Interesting ~ the Pattini class of "OPV"s (Offshore Patrol Vehicle) was designed by Thais, built by the Chinese.  Shorter, narrower, and 1/2 the draft of the Perry class, I bet OPV 512 gave those tourists a fun, wet ride in heavier sea state.   Rock and roll, ride 'em cowboy!

• Haha 1

the past already forgotten and nothing learned.wont be long before the shit hits the fan again.at the same time I really don't know who's more stupid.the money makers or the tourists.

Edited by happy chappie
Spelling
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ramdas said:

I take it, that Thai navy boat is able to fly over the rough seas, must’ve been nothing like fun ? 

I take it you are not aware that this is a substantial ocean going vessel and took part in anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden in the past? Koh Ratcha is a walk in the park in comparison to the Indian Ocean.

6 hours ago, happy chappie said:

the past already forgotten and nothing learned.wont be long before the shit hits the fan again.at the same time I really don't know who's more stupid.the money makers or the tourists.

So people book a hotel stay at Racha and are therefore stupid? Or the hotel people are stupid for obeying the boat ban and asking for help from the navy?

27 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

The Royal Thai Navy should charge the tour operators for bringing back the tourists.  Hit them in the pocket, otherwise they won't learn.

No tours, just hotels.

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So people book a hotel stay at Racha and are therefore stupid? Or the hotel people are stupid for obeying the boat ban and asking for help from the navy?

What boat ban? The "hotel people" could and should not care how their customers arrive or depart from their premises. The ones who asked for transportation help, was the tour operators.

The Royal Thai Navy was called by tour operators

29 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

What boat ban? The "hotel people" could and should not care how their customers arrive or depart from their premises. The ones who asked for transportation help, was the tour operators.

There was a boat ban, no boats allowed for 2 days, today only boats 12+ meters allowed.

The hotels have a boat service, so guests can easily reach their premises.

So yes, the hotel does care and has to make sure their guests can leave the island on time to catch their flights.

Agree with earlier comments they should be paying for this, and wouldn't surprise me if they are.

Edited by stevenl

As I see it...... The existing fleet has done some good.......

What are they going to use the 3 submarine, that are on order, for.... Other than a 'big face for the 'Military government'...... Even their 'obsolete' Aircraft Carrier was used to evacuate people in the past (even farangs on board it)....... But 'expensive submarines (3 of them)..... What a laugh...... Those in charge today......