True:AOT cant serve A380 w-chair business

We are booked next week on Qatar Air, business class to FRA. Without prior warning, we are told that AOT BKK is not equipped to bring a wheelchair passenger to the upper deck. Either the disabled walks up the stairs or we rebook the flight at our expense.

Not sure what you were expecting in this case.

Is the airline that you need to talk to (special assistance requests go through the airline first, not the airport) - if it is them that told you this then there's nothing much you can do.

No elevator on an A380 to the upper deck - its booking 101 for that aircraft type.  Don't book an upper deck seat for anyone that is unable to ambulate themselves upstairs

8 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Not sure what you were expecting in this case.

Is the airline that you need to talk to (special assistance requests go through the airline first, not the airport) - if it is them that told you this then there's nothing much you can do.

No elevator on an A380 to the upper deck - its booking 101 for that aircraft type.  Don't book an upper deck seat for anyone that is unable to ambulate themselves upstairs

Absolute balderdash!

http://www.reducedmobility.eu/20130306292/The-News/aircraft-accessibility-is-the-airbus-380-disabled-friendly.html

i've traveled on a thai airway's A380 several times out of suvarnabhumi and always had a jetway provide direct access to the upper deck.  never walked up the stairs inside the plane.  i wonder if the gate(s) used by qatar are not equipped with the jetway that connects to the upper deck section.

i do remember walking down the stairs to exit thai's A380, it was HKG or NRT, can't remember.  so it is possible that they use gates that don't provide jetways to the upper deck.

As Buick says, could be Qatar knows they will be assigned a remote bus stand out on the tarmac and will not be assigned a gate at the terminal with the jetway leading directly to the upper deck. That may be beyond the control of Qatar.

QR's A380 is configured to seat 561 passengers. Imagine a full A380 flight with all those passengers disembarking at a bus stand. That's one more reason I prefer smaller aircraft