Could Idris Elba be a step closer to being the next Bond?

snoop1130

Could Idris Elba be a step closer to being the next Bond?

By Elizabeth Aubrey

Idris-Elba-1220x775.jpg

Idris Elba - Credit: Ferdaus Shamim / Getty

James Bond producer Barbara Broccoli has said that the role of the iconic spy is open to a black actor once Daniel Craig completes his final film.

The Daily Star has today (August 9) revealed the details of a conversation between Broccoli and director Antoine Fuqua with Broccoli reportedly saying that “it is time” for a non-white actor to take over the role of Bond, adding that it “will happen eventually.”

Fuqua went on to discuss who might be in the running for the role, with the director dropping the strongest hint yet that Idris Elba was a frontrunner.

“Idris could do it if he was in shape,” Fuqua said, adding: “You need a guy with physically strong presence. Idris has that.”

Full Story: https://www.nme.com/news/could-idris-elba-be-a-step-closer-to-being-the-next-bond-2364817

A step too far,     possible title ?

I’m all for inclusiveness but what next, no more “ ba ba black sheep”and as for black boy money boxes !!! , dare we mention simple nursery rhymes, eeny meeny etc etc.

I am a dinosaur but don’t worry, I and many others like me will die out, welcome to your brave new world where you can learn newspeak and never have an opinion as it might if voiced trigger some poor underprivileged person.

I am an old white male and I apologise to nobody for that fact

Choose the best Bond for the job... its that simple... 

If they think Idris personifies Bond in the best possible light for the cinema audience then go for it. 

But, I would hate to think they would chose him over someone better just because of his race or because they are scared not to because of his race. 

Of course there is concern that we are deliberately departing from the 'white-hetrosexual-alpha-male' character and have stepped onto the  'thin end of the wedge' where ultimately we may end up with a 'Black-Lesbian-female-Bond' which of course is not and will not be the case.

This is about whether or not a Black Bond can carry of the role with equal aplomb... Idris is sufficiently suave to be more than convincing in this role - I think he would make an excellent Bond. 

I was just making a crack Idris is a great actor , Hackney born I hear and as British as anyone else. He would make a stunning Bond. The studios invest 100 millions in films these days Idris has the action hero chops to bring in the BOX OFFICE returns and thats the bottom line. Is a business they don't actually make movies for our entertainment,

There was criticism about Ghost in the Shell ( Hollywood whitewash, oh why can't you cast an Asian lady?) but for right now Scarlett Johansson has the star power. Studios can't bet a $USD110million budget on an unknown.

She looks great in Spandex too.

James Bond has always been a suave white English secret agent and that is what everybody Will be expecting. Not wanting to sound racist  but a black man wont cut it. All these behind the scene politically correct fools should back off. Next will be an Arab to please the Muslim crowd. If they do this I personally won't watch another Bond movie and I always enjoyed watching them

13 minutes ago, Gudge said:

James Bond has always been a suave white English secret agent and that is what everybody Will be expecting. Not wanting to sound racist  but a black man wont cut it. All these behind the scene politically correct fools should back off. Next will be an Arab to please the Muslim crowd. If they do this I personally won't watch another Bond movie and I always enjoyed watching them

Elba is English, Suave, and, as an accomplished actor, can act the part of Secret Agent as well as other candidates. Meeting three out of *your* four criteria isn’t good enough for you?

BTW, Connery, also met three out of your four criteria: he was white, suave, and an accomplished actor. But he was Scottish, not English. Was *he* not good enough for you either?

7 minutes ago, Gudge said:

Ian Flemings Bond was born of a Scottish father and a Swiss mother, he was educated in Paris and Switzerland and  had a brief spell at Eaton. However he finished his education at Fettes College in Edinburgh so while you could call him a European, British or Scottish  calling him an Englishman is incorrect. Fleming publicly acknowledged Sean Connerys role in the development of Bonds character. 

2 hours ago, oldies1 said:

Fleming, Cubby and Harry will be turning in their grave !

A black Bond ... better kill the franchise NOW

What's next ? A female Sherlock Holmes ? An Asian Batman ?

I forgot to mention he/she/it should also be a dwarf/midget

Well I hope he gets the part next as I put a few quid on hime over two years ago with PaddyPower and the bet still stands at moment, last I looked it seemed Henry Caravelle (New Superman) was an hot favorite to land 007 and Idress had dropped down the list a tad.

Talk of a female 007 also, the franchise moves with the times, it has to so why not a black or female agent, you think they do not exist in real life in British Intelligence or any other nation for that matter?

Remember we have had a scottish bond, english bonds, Oz bond, Welsh bond and Irish and they have all been good IMO for the times they were doing the part, I thought Lazenbury was ok to O.H.M.S.S Either way love the bond movies hope he keeps keeping it up for Britain!

I think the Bond producers broke the mound introducing a black “Moneypenny” I think Naomi Harris does a great job, and sexy too.

As for the character of Bond, it would need to be in keeping with the authors history, criteria and capability. Idris has capability that’s for sure.

IMO Tom Hardy would make a great Bond.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like Elba but as a bond I do not see it. Clive Owen would have been good but at 53 he's now too old for a continual run. Daniel Craig was 38 when he began the role so I don't see Elba being inline for too long as he is 45. The bond criteria does not like changing the main character. Henry CavIll looks a good option and already looks the part and has youth on his side at 35.

Archived