Can you work if married to a Thai?

I had 5 years ago the Immigration at my gate.

The dogs kept them out but they could make enough photos as I was building an aquaponics system for my wife in my backyard.

As I locked the dogs back and did let them in to be cooperative and stay out of troubles they just wanted 20000 baht.

I explained I am married and this is non commercial either its for my wife to learn her modern farming. The answer was that I have to pay or go to monkey-house. 

Half way one of the lads received a phone call and they turned around brought me back home with the words "you do this for recreational reason, OKeeee no plomplom..."

My wife called some neighbor in the village who is quite a number at the Immigration and he explained as long you are married, living in that house you can do what you want in the garden as long its not for commercial reasons.

You cannot extend this works outside your ground (by meaning even carry a delivery from the street inside).

Edited by See Will
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 10:13 AM, Peterw42 said:

To be legal. That would involve setting up a company etc, capital, 3 Thai employees etc, then the company employs you. Someone has to employ you, either your own company or another.

That is not correct.

Following goes for simple companies, let's say Pop and Mum Co. Ltd.

-You are married to a Thai wife (in this case).

-You must already have a spouse extension.

-The wife sets up a company.

-The foreigner can be (preferenced) share holder together with a third person who doesn't necessarily have to be an employee. So three share holders.

-Owner/director (your wife) owns more than 50% of the shares. So it is not Your company.

-Company capital 1 Mill ThB, not necessarily deposited.

-On personal skills the foreigners can go for the work permit. Before, you needed special skills but requirements have eased recently.

-You would not need 3 Thai employee's.

-There is no such thing as employment for the foreigner, i.e. working contract, official payments and such.

Probably more items to mention but I keep it this far.

There are even smarter ways to go forward, but I have no detailed info about that.

If someone won't believe me, as happened before, then how come I was in this situation and other people I know have done the same procedure.

There may be extra bennifits if you set up a 'big' 2 to 3 million company with Thai employees, but I don't see this is in the interest of the OP

Edited by hugocnx
typo's
  • Like 1

as i have the same plan as the OP whiches marry a Thai woman, i wouldn't recommend to set up a business in Thailand. It will be better to have business in your home country and live in thailand for the sake of holiday or you can set another business with your Thai wife under her name.  Never put all of your eggs in one basket..too risky

On 8/18/2018 at 10:40 AM, cms22 said:

Being the only farang in this northern Thai village I am often asked to teach English to local kids for a few bob a time. Sounds like this is technically illegal??? Is it dangerous in terms of getting into trouble????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Talk to someone with power for protection and give his kids some English class.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, Peterw42 said:

To be legal. That would involve setting up a company etc, capital, 3 Thai employees etc, then the company employs you. Someone has to employ you, either your own company or another.

I gave up my work permit a few years back. at that time I had to have 4 thai employees (pay their taxes and social security) if I married my girl I was told I would only need 2 thai employees. was a lot of work to set up so I did not bother and just carried on paying the taxes for 4 staff. now back in New Zealand my girl automatically gets the right to work here no questions asked.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hugocnx said:

That is not correct.

Following goes for simple companies, let's say Pop and Mum Co. Ltd.

-You are married to a Thai wife (in this case).

-You must already have a spouse extension.

-The wife sets up a company.

-The foreigner can be (preferenced) share holder together with a third person who doesn't necessarily have to be an employee. So three share holders.

-Owner/director (your wife) owns more than 50% of the shares. So it is not Your company.

-Company capital 1 Mill ThB, not necessarily deposited.

-On personal skills the foreigners can go for the work permit. Before, you needed special skills but requirements have eased recently.

-You would not need 3 Thai employee's.

-There is no such thing as employment for the foreigner, i.e. working contract, official payments and such.

Probably more items to mention but I keep it this far.

There are even smarter ways to go forward, but I have no detailed info about that.

If someone won't believe me, as happened before, then how come I was in this situation and other people I know have done the same procedure.

There may be extra bennifits if you set up a 'big' 2 to 3 million company with Thai employees, but I don't see this is in the interest of the OP

Why all this ? A farang married to thai can set up a limited company for half the requirements anyway...ie 2 thai employees and 1 million cap, and its capitalisation not capital ie cash ( go and read up the differences) and a work permit is legally availible 

4 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

Why all this ? A farang married to thai can set up a limited company for half the requirements anyway...ie 2 thai employees and 1 million cap, and its capitalisation not capital ie cash ( go and read up the differences) and a work permit is legally availible 

ie 2 Thai employees. I don't think op is likely to want employees.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NonthaburiBear said:

depends from where you got your Thai Wife..i never spend too much on my girl as she well paid and always choose cheap Street Food .

That's why I said "may".  Happily, some and even many work out great.  Just this weekend at the Melbourne Florida Wat Thai, I was talking with a guy that has been married to his Thai wife for 51 years! 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 1:32 PM, smotherb said:

The local official language version of any translated document is usually the version considered to be legal and correct. Is it not?

Yes it is and in most contracts as well that require 2 languages.