which hospitals are reputable and will not overcharge

Andre2018

Just wondering if someone can advise of a hospital that has competent surgeons, good reputation, but is unlikely or guaranteed not to overcharge. The surgery is for a young girl, requires shunt drainage surgery.

The prices that have been provided so far have been ridiculously different. The hospital should be in bangkok metro.

Edited by Andre2018

St Louis also but in NO hospital are all doctors good. Still need to research and carefully select the individual doctor.

Do NOT email for price quotes. This puts you on the radar of the international marketing dept and can lock you into an inflated price. Find a good pediatric neurosurgeon surgeon and get the price estimate in person.

Unfortunately as both of these hospitals now have websites only in Thai I can't tell which, if any, pediatric neurosurgeons work there.

Chulalongkorn Univ Hosp, using their after hours clinic, would also be a good choice and less expensive than the 2 private non-profits mentioned. However lots of red tape and long waits. Chula will definitely have pediatric neurosurgeons experienced in shunt drainage whereas not sure if the others mentioned do.

This is a specialized procedure. Needs a peds neurosurgeon and, depending on the girl's age, maybe also a peds anesthesiologist. Also needs a neuro ICU should anything go wrong. These criteria already greatly reduce the options.

With regard to price quotes differences between them do not necessarily mean actual difference, especially if gotten by email. Some hospitals will give only the price of the operative procedure, some will include room charges and other factors (i.e. total cost). Some will automatically factor in the most expensive "VIP" suite, others only a semiprivate room. Most hospitals estimate high because they'd rather clients are pleasantly surprised with the bill than irate because it was more than expected -- and some do this by a little whereas others only a little.

In addition, I would bet that at least some of the hospitals who responded did not actually know what the procedure was -- these sort of emails are answered by low level non medical staff working off price lists of common procedures, and they don't like to "bother" their superiors with questions so will often just guess at what might be an equivalent thing (but is in fact utterly different thing) and base their quote on that. Entirely possible they got quotes from hospitals that can't in fact do the procedure at all.

Will not know tbe cost until they actually consult the neurosurgeon.

There is not going to be much actual difference in final total price among for- profit hospitals, especially since only the larger ones can do this. Non-profits will be less than the for-profits but not much difference among them. Govt hospital will be the least expensive.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vichaiyut hospital on Rama 6 road is a very reputable one. Though not well known to foreigners, it's quite famous among Bangkokians.

Due to being close to Rama and Phramongkutklao hospitals, many professors from these 2 medical schools have private hours at Vichaiyut. Prices are not cheap, but quite reasonable. In my opinion, Vichaiyut is one of the best-value-for-money private hospitals in Bangkok. It has a pretty large neuro department as well. You might want to check it out.

http://www.vichaiyut.co.th/en/en-search/

Edited by macleans
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Andre2018 said:

Just wondering if someone can advise of a hospital that has competent surgeons, good reputation, but is unlikely or guaranteed not to overcharge. The surgery is for a young girl, requires shunt drainage surgery.

If the girl is Thai she should be getting free treatment if it is required. She just needs to obtain a referral from the government hospital to which she is registered. Most government hospital surgeons/doctors work in the private hospitals also. So defining who is best is difficult. For instance, the best heart surgeon in Korat works at the Mararat government hospital but I'd imagine he works private also. Going private is just a short cut to avoiding the queues. It doesn't necessary get you a better doctor, as many believe.

Edited by Rally123

I may be wrong but m impression is that the child is foreign.

Some suggested pediatric neurosurgeons:

Dr. Panu Nacharoong: Sanitivej Children’s Hospital, Samitivej Thonburi Hosp, Bangkok Hospital

Dr. Nunthasiri Wittayanakorn, Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital

I haven't been able to come up with a surgeon name at Chula but there will be some. Ditto the Prasart Neurological Institute, a government hospital specialized solely in neurology and neurosurgery.  As mentioned govt hospitals will be the least expensive but will entail long waits/red tape and while the doctors will speak English the rest of the staff usually won't.

Also as mentioned there might be possibilities at St Louis Hospital and/or Bangkok Christian but you will have to call to ask as their website doctor listings are only in Thai.

All of the hospitals mentioned are "reputable".   Whether they overcharge is a matter of opinion. For-profit private hospitals charge what the market can bear, they are profit making businesses.

Hi Sheryl,

the child is a  thai citizen, with a western dad.I assume that they are looking at paying for the operation to avoid queues.

Thanks for all your info Sheryl, I will forward this onto the stepdad.

cheers,

Andre.

Edited by Andre2018

Hi Sheryl,

the child is a  thai citizen, with a western dad.I assume that they are looking at paying for the operation to avoid queues.

Thanks for all your info Sheryl, I will forward this onto the stepdad.

cheers,

Andre.

If Thai, should definitely get this done under the government scheme unless they are very wealthy.

Should not entail much of a queque for the actual surgery. Doctor visits will always take up most of a full day, that's just the reality of government hospitals. Sometimes there is an after hours clinic whete for a few hundred baht you can reduce it to just 1-2 hour wait while still getting the inpatient card through regular public channel.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Im not sure if this is too late but I would advice this girl to seek medical attention at Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health. It is the only public Children’s hospital in Thailand located just opposite to Pramongkutkao hospital on Rajavithi Road. The neurosurgery clinic is available on Tuesday to Friday 9-12:00. 

It will be a bit of wait but there is no queue for shunt surgery if it is urgency or even emergency. If she is Thai then the expenses wont be a problem as well.