Is Grab legal in Thailand? / (Grab and travel insurance).

JimmyJ

Emailed lodgings I booked in George Town, Malaysia, asking if Grab is the best way to them from Penang Airport.

Response was to be aware that  Grab is not legal transportation in Malaysia and travel insurance will not cover using it.

I'd never considered this about Grab.

I'm using it frequently in Kuala Lumpur.

Is Grab legal transportation in Thailand?

8 hours ago, The manic said:

It's operating here but the same price as expensive illegal street taxis. Uber was one third cheaper.

He asks..."is Grab legal transportation in Thailand".

I'm not sure, never use Taxi's but I think the answer is "Yes".

13 minutes ago, HHTel said:

And Grab is also legal in Malaysia since July 2017

That's good.

Maybe the innkeeper has a relative who drives a metered cab...

Not being covered by travel insurance is what concerned me.

13 hours ago, The manic said:

It's operating here but the same price as expensive illegal street taxis. Uber was one third cheaper.

Bangkok's public taxis are not illegal neither are they expensive.  Illegal Uber cars were never significantly cheaper than metered taxis. 

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Bangkok's public taxis are not illegal neither are they expensive.  Illegal Uber cars were never significantly cheaper than metered taxis. 

In Bangkok, yes. In Pattaya Uber was 2-4 times cheaper than a regular (=mafia) taxi.

Lots of gobbledeegook. Nothing concrete.

If Taxis are involved in accidents their passengers are covered by their insurance.

Even Motorcycle Taxis licenced are.

But if a Grab is involved it isn't an official cab.

They are private cars.

Rest is simple.

Your travel insurance will give you the corrext answer.

1 hour ago, wump said:

In Bangkok, yes. In Pattaya Uber was 2-4 times cheaper than a regular (=mafia) taxi.

I think that you've got that the wrong way around!  Taxis in Pattaya were overcharging massively, Uber were not significantly cheaper than the official taxi rates.  You make it sound as if Uber was some kind of special bargain.

30 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I think that you've got that the wrong way around!  Taxis in Pattaya were overcharging massively, Uber were not significantly cheaper than the official taxi rates.  You make it sound as if Uber was some kind of special bargain.

It was. Soi Buakhao to Jomtien immigration 100 Baht in an Uber, 300 up in a mafia taxi. Hardly 'not significantly cheaper'.

4 minutes ago, wump said:

It was. Soi Buakhao to Jomtien immigration 100 Baht in an Uber, 300 up in a mafia taxi. Hardly 'not significantly cheaper'.

Geez...Illegal Uber cars were not being generous and offering cheap fares, you are comparing Uber's normal fares to the excessively jacked-up illegal non-metered taxi rates which were significantly more expensive!  Try comparing like to like!

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Geez...Illegal Uber cars were not being generous and offering cheap fares, you are comparing Uber's normal fares to the excessively jacked-up illegal non-metered taxi rates which were significantly more expensive!  Try comparing like to like!

Well until recently no-one ever saw a Pattaya cab using their meter so I don't have anything else to compare. What should I compare it with?!

3 minutes ago, wump said:

Well until recently no-one ever saw a Pattaya cab using their meter so I don't have anything else to compare. What should I compare it with?!

How about normal metered rates!  Everywhere else in the country Illegal Uber's rates were near as dammit the same as metered taxis.

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

How about normal metered rates!  Everywhere else in the country Illegal Uber's rates were near as dammit the same as metered taxis.

There is no metered rates in Pattaya! Why can you not comprehend this? I can't compare something with something that does not exist.

Now they talk about actually using their meters (as if) but want to charge a flagfall of 100 Baht. Back in Uber times most short trips in Pattaya were well under 80 Baht in total.