Khon Kaen heart surgeon forced to live like a pauper in run down property

webfact

Khon Kaen heart surgeon forced to live like a pauper in run down property

10pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

The Khon Kaen heart surgeon who had his expensive goggles stolen in a burglary has been featured on Thai TV living in a ramshackle old house provided by the hospital authorities.

Now corruption allegations are surfacing.

Dr Thiti Janmekha was in the news after losing cash and his valuable working goggles worth tens of thousands of baht.

The thief was arrested and he got his goggles back after an online appeal. But there is a back story that GMM-TV featured yesterday.

Dr Thiti lives in a run down house provided by the Sri Nakharin Hospital at the university of Khon Kaen.

It seemed little wonder that he would be subjected to theft in a place lacking in basic security.

The doctor complained that he had had to do his own repairs amounting to 100,000s of baht. One such repair undertaken was to some pipes.

Now he is questioning what the 60 million baht budget in the hands of the hospital is actually used for.

There is a suggestion that the funds for doctors' housing may have somehow gone missing.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-21

Now he is questioning what the 60 million baht budget in the hands of the hospital is actually used for.

Thailand - where corruption, greed and selfishness prevent any kind of development. 

Unfortunately, funds going missing - usually with those along the chain taking their own cut - happens in just about every sector of Thai society. It's rare for the money to actually get to where it's intended.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The doctor complained that he had had to do his own repairs amounting to 100,000s of baht. One such repair undertaken was to some pipes.

I'm guessing he went for a bypass when mere angioplasty would suffice.

I would have assumed a heart surgeon  could afford a decent little house in a development. Or a nice little rental. 

Also, many doctors come from fairly well-off families and can afford to study overseas, so you’d have thought there might have been family money for a place. 

4 minutes ago, chivo said:

I would have assumed a heart surgeon  could afford a decent little house in a development. Or a nice little rental. 

Also, many doctors come from fairly well-off families and can afford to study overseas, so you’d have thought there might have been family money for a place. 

He may well not hail from Khon Kaen and just took the standard provided accommodation on hospital grounds. It would have been the easiest thing to do.

He may be in that part of his career where he is compelled to do so many years at so many days a week at Thai government hospitals. It is a requirement of medical training here to prevent 'brain drain'.

Whilst the majority of qualified doctors in Thailand come from affluent middle class backgrounds, it is certainly not always the case.

He may be acting as a 'spokesman' for all the medical staff (including poorly-paid nurses) who are living in sub-standard accommodation.

The whole story may be a chance discovery by the media and the doctor just went with it rather than the doctor going to the media with the story.

A heart surgeon makes less than a dentist?  I have a hard time believing that he can't afford to live very comfortably outside of the hospital supplied (run-down) residences.  Therefore it becomes a choice.  I'm not going to jump on the 'poor doctor' bandwagon.  Things don't add up.

38 minutes ago, chivo said:

likely doing mandatory government service at a pittance of a salary. 

2 hours ago, chivo said:

Most Thai Doctors have to run their own clinics outside of hospital hours to make money.

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

likely doing mandatory government service at a pittance of a salary. 

I also think so.

And he will have to earn a reputation and savings before opening his own clinic or doing big money at the private hospitals.

But a decent apartment in KK should be available for about 5000.

Granddaughter studying at a college (not far from the uni) has an AC apartment for 4000.

58 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I also think so.

And he will have to earn a reputation and savings before opening his own clinic or doing big money at the private hospitals.

But a decent apartment in KK should be available for about 5000.

Granddaughter studying at a college (not far from the uni) has an AC apartment for 4000.

what often happens is during the miserably low salary training years they sign contracts with private hospitals agreeing to work for them in exchange for financial help to make ends meet til they graduate. a neurosurgeon friend did this even though his family is quite ok.

This when the lack of Cardiologists is severe here in Thailand especially in the public hospital sector.

The waiting list is almost 6 months long to get Cardio treatment here at the public hospital, especially in the south of Thailand, lack of doctors and equipment.?

Archived